I HAVE A BIG Questionn!

#1cybermage83Posted 12/9/2009 9:51:37 PM

ECONOMY! DO we have it? DO we have it MFers!

Alright from what i saw, u can loose your ship , that is good.. but um.. How does one get a replacement?>

are there credits? Or does the Empire/Federation just gives it you depending on your PVE/PVP action?

Seriously if there will be no fear of loosing anything.. this game will be for newbs/nerds/and carebear heaven.

And i am a Star Trek fun, i love star trek .. but. how can they explain to me.. when your ship goes boom!

Last time i checked Star Trek universe did not practice cloning! Pods never really worked too well, abandon ship is the only thing i see, but then again Klingon guys would have a problem of doing that .. if this game is RPG .. heh

Ohh yeah back to the topic.. IS this game all about Flash of just pvp/pve and no... resources/economy... just fly around and impove your stuff till the day u die! and participate in pvp.. Is there going to be some kind of Territory war? It be nice to know?

I like same sims.. but comeon! Give us some stake in our time spent inside the game, we want to leave a mark! Also are they going to have 1 server like or multiserver.. if multi.. EPIC FAIL right there.

Do you guys have answers for me ? please do tell! Cause we got Jump Gate as well .. If this is a fail then Eve is king for long time. Well, there is still BlackProphecy.. heh.. but that maybe oldschool style freelances so that maybe good regardless heh. But it won;t compete with EVE..

So yeah i am eager for your intel!

#2darkjedilinkPosted 12/9/2009 10:14:34 PM
First of all, learn some better grammar.

Second of all, yes, there's an economy. It involves energy and Honor. The honor points are more of a Klingon thing, but there's supposedly a Federation version of it, too.

You don't lose your ship. Your ship is part of your character. Kirk is the only Captain that "lost" a ship, and they gave him another one just like it. If you lost your ship, that wouldn't be Star Trek. Also, your character and your Bridge officers don't die, either, as that never happened in any of the shows, either, with the exception of Lt. Yar. Again, it wouldn't be Star Trek. If you "die," you just go back to a previous checkpoint with reduced stats for a limited amount of time.
---
I will not be content with Guitar Hero or Rock Band until I can connect my Strat to my Wii.
Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
#3cybermage83(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2009 11:05:05 PM

I see. Some kind of honor points!... hmm

Also you speak of Star Trek thing about thing not dying.. um.. that is odd.. the last time i check in deep space 9 a lot of people died!

So does this mean i am correct to assume that it is a single player game in an online world then?

They should have turned Klingon Academy into an Online Version then it would have been far superrior concept! As long they would improve some UI.

Yeah, grammar is something my brain does not compute no matter how hard i try. Apperantly. Go figure.

Regards

#4FlayerSlayerPosted 12/10/2009 4:07:43 AM
Yes, there is economy. Aside from Energy (which is the Gold equivalent), you can also aqcuire Merit in the Federation, which is used both to purchase new ships and advance your bridge officers.

If your ship is destroyed, you respawn at a starbase. There is no permanent-death in StarTrek Online, because the developers didn't feel like allowing players to lose months of work in one lost battle. Bridge officers that are critically wounded are "beamed to sickbay" and ships that are destroyed are "repaired at a starbase".

As you gain ranks (or levels, if you prefer), you will get ships automatically. (Star Fleet assigns ships to captains.) If you want more ships than the few you are given, you can expend Merit to purchase them,

Barring that, you can get new bridge officers, new ship parts, and new items of away team equipment, in many ways. Some are rewards for completing quests. Some are awarded from PvP battles. Some simply come with rank. Some may be discovered on uncharted worlds. Some may be purchased. Some may be traded with other players. Some cost Energy while some cost Merit.

You say that this game is for noobs and care bears because you cannot permanently lose items. If that's the case, I recommend playing Eve Online, which is a little older but does allow you to lose months of progress in one death. Also, certain other games (such as Final Fantasy XI) allow experience loss on death. But most MMOs these days (World of Warcraft for instance) allow you to die without losing everything you have.

I understand there is some suspention of disbelief involved in seeing your ship get destroyed by a Borg cube and yet still being able to try again, but this is a video game, not reality. They had to make some allowances for the sake of keeping it fun. You shouldn't be able to command a ship at rank Lieutenant, and you shouldn't be able to get from Lieutenant to Admiral within a year, and you sure as heck shouldn't be able to fly wherever you like ignoring orders from Star Fleet, but otherwise the game would be frustrating instead of entertaining. So call it cloning, or beaming to the infirmary, or just call it Q bringing you back from the dead, but that's how it works in this game.

If you're frustrated that players can keep amassing better equipment, more skills, stronger ships, and superior crew "till the day u die", then perhaps MMOs are not the proper genre of games for you. What you described is basically the core mechanic of all RPGs ever made.

Also, MOST online games use multiple servers. Warcraft has well over 200 server running. This is normal and expected. If you truly believe this is "epic fail," then I again suggest Eve Online as a preferable option for you.

Yes, people die in the shows, but very rarely does a main character die. "Red Shirts" are killed all the time, but Worf never died, Data didn't die until after seven seasons and several movies, Riker lives, Bashir lives, Tuvok lives, even the holographic doctor is still around. It would NOT feel like Star Trek if you can beam down to a planet surface with your bridge crew and come back with half of them dead forever.

As for playing Solo, that IS an option if you like. You can play by yourself, or with a small group of friends, or in a large guild with many other players. This is also the nature of online games.

You seem not only to have many questions, but to be highly negative about StarTrek Online and MMOs in general. This is fine, but in this case I do not think you are going to enjoy STO and may be better off choosing a different game.
#5darkjedilinkPosted 12/10/2009 5:42:03 AM
At the very least, TC, you should bone up on the game at startrekonline.com. There's a lot of info to be found in the main site, as well as the forums.
---
I will not be content with Guitar Hero or Rock Band until I can connect my Strat to my Wii.
Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
#6cybermage83(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2009 2:43:07 PM

FlayerSlayer posted...
Yes, there is economy. Aside from Energy (which is the Gold equivalent), you can also aqcuire Merit in the Federation, which is used both to purchase new ships and advance your bridge officers.

If your ship is destroyed, you respawn at a starbase. There is no permanent-death in StarTrek Online, because the developers didn't feel like allowing players to lose months of work in one lost battle. Bridge officers that are critically wounded are "beamed to sickbay" and ships that are destroyed are "repaired at a starbase".

As you gain ranks (or levels, if you prefer), you will get ships automatically. (Star Fleet assigns ships to captains.) If you want more ships than the few you are given, you can expend Merit to purchase them,

Barring that, you can get new bridge officers, new ship parts, and new items of away team equipment, in many ways. Some are rewards for completing quests. Some are awarded from PvP battles. Some simply come with rank. Some may be discovered on uncharted worlds. Some may be purchased. Some may be traded with other players. Some cost Energy while some cost Merit.

You say that this game is for noobs and care bears because you cannot permanently lose items. If that's the case, I recommend playing Eve Online, which is a little older but does allow you to lose months of progress in one death. Also, certain other games (such as Final Fantasy XI) allow experience loss on death. But most MMOs these days (World of Warcraft for instance) allow you to die without losing everything you have.

I understand there is some suspention of disbelief involved in seeing your ship get destroyed by a Borg cube and yet still being able to try again, but this is a video game, not reality. They had to make some allowances for the sake of keeping it fun. You shouldn't be able to command a ship at rank Lieutenant, and you shouldn't be able to get from Lieutenant to Admiral within a year, and you sure as heck shouldn't be able to fly wherever you like ignoring orders from Star Fleet, but otherwise the game would be frustrating instead of entertaining. So call it cloning, or beaming to the infirmary, or just call it Q bringing you back from the dead, but that's how it works in this game.

If you're frustrated that players can keep amassing better equipment, more skills, stronger ships, and superior crew "till the day u die", then perhaps MMOs are not the proper genre of games for you. What you described is basically the core mechanic of all RPGs ever made.

Also, MOST online games use multiple servers. Warcraft has well over 200 server running. This is normal and expected. If you truly believe this is "epic fail," then I again suggest Eve Online as a preferable option for you.

Yes, people die in the shows, but very rarely does a main character die. "Red Shirts" are killed all the time, but Worf never died, Data didn't die until after seven seasons and several movies, Riker lives, Bashir lives, Tuvok lives, even the holographic doctor is still around. It would NOT feel like Star Trek if you can beam down to a planet surface with your bridge crew and come back with half of them dead forever.

As for playing Solo, that IS an option if you like. You can play by yourself, or with a small group of friends, or in a large guild with many other players. This is also the nature of online games.

You seem not only to have many questions, but to be highly negative about StarTrek Online and MMOs in general. This is fine, but in this case I do not think you are going to enjoy STO and may be better off choosing a different game.

Yeah, i sincerely apreciate this reply very effective arguments. And i think i see your reasoning.. I am just used to Eve Online Way of playing.. when there is a Stake IN everything u do.. it will feel too childish for me to not worry about anything.. that is probably my bigest concern. I hope they will make it so that that your actions have Some SERIOUS concequences, like if you decide attacking something you are not suppose to do, example demoting your rank or something like that. Then i would like that. BEcause without any form or punishment or loss of something there will no sense of adventure as well!

Oh btw.. in eve u don;t loose month of work in a ships , since it is all about ISK and economy. It is all about calculated risks and profits.

got to run..

thx again for a good reply

#7FlayerSlayerPosted 12/11/2009 4:34:09 AM
Ah. I've never played Eve except for the 10 day trial, so I know that you can lose progress and that it all runs on a single server, but I don't know all the details. Thank you.

I think you're right that STO will be a much easier game with a far lower penalty for failure, but they're trying to attract casual players. Warcraft has 11 million players, while Eve has under 1 million. As great as it is to have risk, that frustrates many players and would hurt their attempt to build a community. I suppose it's just a difference of preference, but I actually like the idea that I can mess around and have some fun without risking anything more than some money for repairs.

Heck, even playing Escape Velocity Nova, I turned off hard core mode (in which any death would result in the deletion of my save game).

I think the biggest question for me is just whether it's going to be any fun. It may be very well designed and very pretty, but boring. It may be simple and childish but entertaining. I won't know until I actually get to play it for a while.
#8VladanStefPosted 12/11/2009 7:57:34 AM
Also, apparently there will be gold-pressed latinum which will be used to purchase equipment on "black market".
#9EmperorLinkXPosted 12/11/2009 11:50:15 AM
i gave up reading this guy's posts. i think he's just a troll. the DO we have it MFers kind of tipped me off.
---
Death to Gnomes and Murlocs!
#10faduePosted 12/11/2009 12:15:48 PM
"Captain that "lost" a ship, and they gave him another one just like it. If you lost your ship, that wouldn't be Star Trek. Also, your character and your Bridge officers don't die, either, as that never happened in any of the shows, either, with the exception of Lt. Yar."

Your forgetting jadzia and Charles 'Trip' Tucker III
also, Enterprise-D (next generation) gets destroyed and replaced with the Enterprise-E.