STO Install From One Computer To Another - Question

#1y2jocelynPosted 2/11/2010 12:17:41 PM
I installed the game on my laptop, which busted. I bought a new laptop. Can I re-download the game to this new laptop, or do I have to purchase the game again to install it to the new laptop?
#2NecroniousPosted 2/11/2010 1:26:51 PM
You don't even have to purchase the game to download it in the first place. It's how I tested it and I let two friends test it on my account before buying. Anyone can download the software.
#3y2jocelyn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2010 1:51:15 PM
How do you just download the software? I go to the official site and it asks me which I want to buy, the standard or special edition. How do I download the program for free?
#4PhatalbumPosted 2/11/2010 2:43:19 PM
Go to the games site and log in.

Click the support tab and download should be an option. I'm not even sure if you need to be logged in really.
#5IOErrorPosted 2/12/2010 7:54:33 AM
Yup, no login required. :) I used this feature a little bit ago to prepare a computer for my buddy, who wanted to try out one of my Guest Passes - I downloaded and installed the client ahead of time, so when he was ready to try (and create his own account) the game was already done.

So install it on as many computers as you like; it's the user login that makes it all work.
#6twylight777Posted 2/12/2010 8:53:17 AM
I have steam on 3 computers - play STO from all of them
---
Extended warranties and Monster Cables are for the mathematically challenged.
#7nailfootPosted 2/14/2010 9:51:54 PM

Another aspect to this is you can copy the client across a network. I have downloaded the client one time, and copied it to mulitple computers as it takes 20 minutes or less to copy, and 6 hours or more to download.