Is Oblivion compatible with Windows 7? It crashes to desktop when I try to boot

#1Angry_ScientistPosted 7/11/2011 6:17:49 PM
It's strange, since it started up before, no problems. I installed a bunch of mods, it refused to start up. I turned then off, it crashed again. Uninstalled, reinstalled, crashed.

The only thing I can think of is the Keperskey anti virus I installed since I tested with no problems and now, but putting it on the exceptions list yielded no dice.

Yes, the computer can play it. Recently built using second gen parts. It can play any game I asked Can you Run It no problems. And, like I said, it started up perfectly fine once. Ran it a few minutes through the tutorial, no problems.

Any ideas what could be causing the crash to desktop? It gets to the Bethseda screen, a few seconds in, then crashes.
---
Simple solutions to complex problems.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/Mad_Scientist08/Sigs/shantaefull8gz.gif
#2treetopPosted 7/11/2011 7:39:08 PM
it's not windows 7

have you tried running it without any mods installed? which mods are you trying to use?

even though you say it can run it what are your specs. cpu/gpu/ram etc.
#3Angry_Scientist(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 8:06:34 PM(edited)
treetop posted...
it's not windows 7

have you tried running it without any mods installed? which mods are you trying to use?

even though you say it can run it what are your specs. cpu/gpu/ram etc.

Yes, as I said in the original post. Fresh install. Same problem. I'm fairly convinced that it's the anti virus...but adding Oblivion to the exceptions list did nada.

Computer:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
8 gigs RAM
Quad Core AMD Phenom II 965 Processor

Edit: Additionally, running it in the Windows XP service packs 2/3 ended in the same result. Turning off the anti virus completely also ended up in the same result. Official patches applied, nada. I really have no idea what the problem is. It did run perfectly fine the first time. No stutter, no issues. And now it's coughing up hairballs left and right.
---
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/Mad_Scientist08/Sigs/shantaefull8gz.gif
#4treetopPosted 7/11/2011 8:09:51 PM
yes, you said you had it working then installed a bunch of mods..

you then say you uninstalled/reinstalled

did you remove all mod files before reinstallation manually? otherwise everything is still lurking in your data folder.
#5Angry_Scientist(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 8:31:16 PM
treetop posted...
yes, you said you had it working then installed a bunch of mods..

you then say you uninstalled/reinstalled

did you remove all mod files before reinstallation manually? otherwise everything is still lurking in your data folder.

The mods were removed manually, yes. Deleted. And then a defrag was run after for good measure.
---
#6treetopPosted 7/11/2011 8:49:32 PM
crap, the only thing i can think of is to try an installation without your kapersky installed at all (not just turned off)

or reinstall oblivion and remove all registry entries before reinstallation (and double check that data folder)

but don't have high hopes for either
is strange it behaves the same for both windows versions, this is an additional windows xp installation on the same computer i presume?

any graphic drivers made for that card are what 4-5 years newer than the games last update.. could double check your sound drivers are up to date or anything else suspect shared between the two installs.
#7Matty_G33Posted 7/11/2011 10:21:21 PM
I doubt this will work for your situation, but try this anyway:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22282

I use a rather new computer with Win7 and runs the game finely. Weird.
---
PC Setup: 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATi HD 6950 1 GB Graphics | 620w PSU
Intel 2500k i5 Quad Core 3.4 Ghz | 1 TB HDD | Win7 Home Edition 64-bit
#8TheTrueSinPosted 7/12/2011 6:57:53 AM

Here you go, hope this helps:

Install a fresh Oblivion.Run once.Install Official patch.Install Unofficial patch.Try to play.If it played, then slowly install your desired mods.Ensure you use BOSS at this point to keep your load order stable.

I know Oblivion got a little picky on my Windows 7 (64-bit) the other day. You need to run it once before you patch it so that the important game files are created. If you patch before the files exist, it seems they get overwritten during the first run (meaning your files are mixed and matched... and broken).

Also it is best to install somewhere other than in Program Files due to UAC and permissions in Windows 7. Try something like C:/Games/Bethesda/Oblivion.

Hope this helps ;)

#9QuantumMechonisPosted 7/12/2011 3:34:03 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Hellsing2o2Posted 7/12/2011 7:03:56 PM
Try deleting the config file in here.

C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\savegame\oblivion.ini