Any SPECS/UPGRADE and "How well will it run" questions belong here!

Morgoth22
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:27:47 AM
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS/FX SERIES

Many pre-built PC's will come without a graphics card, as they tend to be the most expensive component if they are good. Models will include the Intel Extreme Graphics, Intel Graphics Accelerator, SiS models and the most recent, the Xpress 200.

The companies make them sound good, and they undoubtedly serve a useful purpose for non-gamers. However, they really are unsuitable for games and will leave you either not being able to run it on an otherwise decent machine, or alternatively running it all on low at sloppy frame rates. Whilst some of the newer additions to the market are more promising, don't expect stellar performance at higher resolutions and anything much above low settings.

The FX series unfortunately suffers the same fate. These cards (especially the fx5200) were quite frankly a flop with DX9 and have awful performance so I wouldn't bother unless you happen to own a 5950Ultra.

6. HDR, AA, AF

HDR - High Dynamic Range (Lighting)

This is different to the bloom effect and some comparison screenshots have been shown here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=277271

You need an SM3.0 card to be able to do HDR I assume. You cannot apply AA and HDR at the same time in the game, though you may be able to force it in your graphics card control panel options and have HDR enabled in game...this didn't work for FEAR, so I'm skeptical.

Anti Aliasing (AA)

Smoothes out "jaggies" on straight edges, allowing straight lines to appear less pixelised. Raising the resolution has the same effect.

Anistropic Filtering (AF)

Makes textures in the distance appear sharper and gives more definition of detail across large vistas.

7. AMD vs. Intel

I just wanted to point out here that clock speed in Ghz is not everything! AMD processors work differently in that they do more calculations per clock cycle and are manufactured in a different way.

The numbers (e.g. 3000+, 3400+ etc) represent a rough comparison of what they would do if they were an Intel P4, so a 3000+ at 1.8Ghz will perform equally (if not a little better) than a P4 at 3.0Ghz.

Pentium M processors work in a similar way - more L2 cache amongst other things means that the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.13 PM are equivalent to the 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4Ghz P4's. Conroe might change all of that.

Also, dual core processors are two cores running on seperate things. So an X2 4800+ is two 2.4 Ghz cores, not the same as a 4.8Ghz single core.

I hope this is clear for those with AMD processors that are worried.
---
Morgoth22's AIM - gfaqsmorgoth22
I can only fake being nice for so long, so don't linger.

No Action Available

No actions are currently available to you with this message.