Any SPECS/UPGRADE and "How well will it run" questions belong here!

#11Knightmare06Posted 3/22/2006 6:40:22 AMmessage detail
Hey Morgoth, how's it going man?
#12Morgoth22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2006 6:49:11 AMmessage detail
Knightmare I'm fine thank you - I don't recognise your user name...remind me...anyway I thought I would come over to this board as I was looking forward to the game. Arrived yesterday to carnage and a sticky for specs that, in my opinion should never have got sticky status. Is posting what's on the box all it takes now?!

The dual standards of the mods are unbelievable at times, so I thought once again that it would be a good idea to do one of these. For those who don't know my username (wouldn't really expect you to) I've done these before for Far Cry, HL2 and FEAR so I know what I'm talking about and I will make as much effort as I can with this topic within the realms of my waking hours, which are not the same as those of you living in the US, so remember that when I haven't repied if you expected me to!
---
Morgoth22's AIM - gfaqsmorgoth22
I can only fake being nice for so long, so don't linger.
#13FrOZeN_OuTLaWPosted 3/22/2006 7:01:16 AMmessage detail
this needs to get sticked NAO
---
ISLAM PRIDE
#14Morgoth22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2006 7:02:58 AMmessage detail
Yes, but unless anyone knows a mod, it isn't going to happen. I don't and there is zero point in requesting on the site suggestions section as it will be ignored for at least a month!
---
#15Man_from_UnclePosted 3/22/2006 7:31:46 AMmessage detail
For those who are unsure, Morgoth is indeed a specs wizard and is very knowledgable, not only about hardware, but about how well that hardware works with various games. His work on the FEAR board made me unrealistically expect that all apparent 'specs gurus' knew their stuff. This thread should undoubtedly be stickied as the definitive 'How will my computer....?'....at least until it reaches 500 and we start all over again.

So, Morgoth, for your first teaser....what is the deal with AA and HDR for the PC version compared to the xbox? There are rumours flying left and right about whether both can be used at the same time and suggestions that the X1*** ATI cards can do both while the nvidia offerings are left with one or the other. I don't know the answer to this.....though I can make an educated guess.
#16Morgoth22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2006 7:50:07 AMmessage detail
As far as I'm aware, the only cards that can support AA and HDR (the SM3.0 way) are the X1900 series. Don't think they implemented it in the 7900 or the X18 series, but I could be wrong.
---
#17twi41Posted 3/22/2006 8:03:40 AMmessage detail
Morgoth,

If I have a
6800 / 3.4 Ghz Processor / 2GB of PC4800 Memory

What differences would I see if I added an additional 6800 GT video card and went with SLI?

Right now I can run 1280x1024 with some slowdowns outside but indoors I'm okay. Settings mostly on high except for shadows and the usual stuff.
#18vegedusPosted 3/22/2006 8:29:00 AMmessage detail

Morgoth22 posted...
"You really should not expect it to be hugely playable on a 2Ghz, 512 ram, fx5200 in the slightest.

:lol: +512 ram and thats my specs. So, yeah I'm not going to play it on this system. I have, however, been looking in to buying a new computer. To have the game playing at 1028*768 resolotions and with some graphical options turned to medium, what kinda computer should I buy? And how much would it cost? Thanks in advance.
#19ladyphoenixPosted 3/22/2006 8:42:10 AMmessage detail
It's nice to know my ATI Radeon 9800Pro is still considered a good card....my fiance was insistent that it's getting old and obsolete already

So it sounds like I'm pretty golden with my set-up:

AMD Athlon 64 (3.2ghz equiv)
1gig Ram
Radeon 9800Pro
and LOTS of HD space
#20MasterChief24Posted 3/22/2006 8:44:17 AMmessage detail
Pentium 4, 2,8 Ghz
ATI 9600 XT (;-;)
1024 MB Ram.

Will this get me medium?

---
Come on Dorian, you gotta want it! - J.D.