MMM, OOO, and Francesco's..

#1Last VampirePosted 3/26/2009 5:19:16 PM
..Yea. I'm a little lost as to all the mods that are around for this game, and was wondering if anybody could give me any advice.

Basically what I'm trying to do is make the Oblivion experience closer to the Morrowind experience, where if I wander into the wrong cave at level 3, I'm going to get owned by a crazy Wood Elf in level 3 armor.

I really like Oblivion, but the fact that I can beat the entire game with a set of Rusty Steel Armor and an Old Iron Claymore is a huge turnoff. I could just do a bunch of sidequests and stuff and level so that everybody has Daedric armor, but that is just dumb, imo.

I looked around and saw that Francesco's seemed to be a popular mod that made some of the mob levels static, but then I also heard a lot about MMM and OOO and I just got confused as to what did what. Plus the fact that whenever I search anywhere, I get a bunch of things like "XXXX FOR MMM" or "ZZZZ FOR Francesco's" instead of the mods themselves. And I have no clue how to tell what the most updated versions are, or even if I have the most updated version of Oblivion.

So TL;DR:

What are MMM, OOO, and Francesco's? Should I use any of them? Which ones? What are the most updated versions, and where would I get them? How do I know if I have the most updated version of Oblivion?

I couldn't find a free place to Francesco's.. I could only find it on Fileplanet, and you have to pay like $10 to subscribe, which is ridiculous. I'm not falling into their greedy little scam.
---
Last Vampire. ~Just a stranger in a strange land.
#2ff8ff8Posted 3/26/2009 6:16:45 PM
get mods from tesnexus and planet elder scrolls.
MMM ads a ton of mosnters
OOO is like morrowind where creatures are placed there and stay at that level
Francesco's has the monsters level with you

You want either OOO, OOO+MMM or FCOM.
FCOM is a combination of Francesco's, WarCry, OOO and MMM. Takes a while to set up but is well worth it in the end. But if you don't want to bother with that then Just use OOO 1.33 with the 1.34 patch.
---
Official Japanese boy of the Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Veterans
Rig in my quote
#3Last Vampire(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2009 7:53:55 PM
But don't the monsters already level with you in default Oblivion? What would be the purpose of Francesco's then?

Also, I'm shamelessly lazy. The one time I searched those sites for "Francesco's" and "MMM", I got like 100 links to plug-ins for those mods, but not the mods themselves (I'm sure the mods were there, but on page 1256). And even if I do find the mod, I don't really know if it's the most current version. I really don't feel like doing research just to get some mods. I do enough of that outside of my leisure time as it is.

Thanks for the FCOM suggestion though. I'll look into it. I don't really have a problem with setting stuff up, just finding it. TESNexus and PES are horribly organized, imo.
---
#4ff8ff8Posted 3/26/2009 7:59:53 PM
Well Francesco's adds tons of armor, weapons and new creatures.
There is a guide for FCOM 9.9 beta on this site, just follow that and you'll be golden.

Just have a clean install of Oblivion ready and make sure you fully uninstall it for a clean install.
Clean it out of the registry after you uninstall it (use CCleaner a few times) and delete the Oblivion data in My Documents.

I would also suggest downloading all the necessary files before you start and keep them ready in a folder.
And as a note, Wyre will require some python files so you need to visit their site on the list.

I find PES to be very well organized and easy to find anything you need, TES is organized too just in a different way.
---
Official Japanese boy of the Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Veterans
Rig in my quote
#5NarzhulPosted 3/26/2009 11:14:40 PM
Well, no, that's just horrible taste on your part. I did a search on "francesco" on tesnexus, the 6th result is the mod, with "francesco" also as the author. I don't see how the mod could come from anyone else. PES looks horribly unprofessional to me, messy and scattered. Tesnexus isn't that good, but its okay enough.
No, francesco doesn't just add creatures and items, that would be horrible. Heres the readme, and well, readit. http://francesco823.tripod.com/index.html
I for one, don't recommend OOO (yeah, big surprise there, i know.)
#6Last Vampire(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2009 1:07:25 PM
Why do you not recommend OOO?
---
#7chill 02Posted 3/27/2009 3:16:22 PM
But don't the monsters already level with you in default Oblivion? What would be the purpose of Francesco's then?

From my experience, it makes bandits to stop leveling at a certain point (i.e. you won't see bandits in glass armor anymore), you'll still find low level armor and enemies at high levels, and vice versa (although on the latter it makes it so that fighting harder enemies yield better rewards), among other things.

But, seeing as you want something closer to Morrowind, you might as well get OOO.
---
Wenn Sie diesen Satz lesen können, benutzen Sie bestimmt einen Übersetzer.