Are savegames compatible cross-language?

#1GriffinHeartPosted 2/17/2013 3:31:06 AM(edited)
I bought the physical copy of Oblivion years ago, and so I had no choice as to its language (thank **** they didn't dub it too), and later got Shivering Isles too, always localized.

Since I got a good PC recently and have really been putting Steam to work, I was thinking of getting the full Oblivion package. In English of course, the translation was revolting (thankfully I can turn subtitles off, but I still have to put up with broken as hell item and spell names and so on). So my question is, can I use my save for the English version? Or should I wait to start a game until I can get it on Steam? I wanted to give this game another go but I can play others in the meanwhile if that's the case.
---
After a thousand battles one only sees death.
#2MarikhenPosted 2/19/2013 5:58:21 AM
Chances are that the game saves ignore localization. The only way I can see a developer coding in regional restrictions on saved game loading is as an additional form of DRM, and I'm fairly sure that developers back then weren't quite that anal about this sort of thing.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#3GriffinHeart(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 3:13:57 AM
Well I got it on Steam yesterday. I just made a new save, I didn't do much before.
---
After a thousand battles one only sees death.