Help with loading patches & mods

#1crazy4rpgPosted 2/18/2013 11:34:54 PM
I have a very annoying problem when it comes to downloading files for Oblivion. I have two PC's, one for internet, the other for playing Oblivion.

The PC I play Oblivion on can't connect to the internet, and I don't have the money to put it in a shop to find out why. Not that it matters as my internet is such cheap crap I wouldn't be able to download big files even if it could.

So I was wondering. Could I take a 4GB SanDisk Micro SD Card (I use it to swap photos) to the public library, plug it into one of their PC's, load files onto it, then plug it into the PC I have at home, and transfer the files that way?

I just attempted it on my internet capable PC and just the Unofficial Patch alone would have taken 5 hours, it would disconnect before then and I'd have to start over.
---
If life is a game, how do I enable God Mode?
#2MarikhenPosted 2/19/2013 6:54:50 AM
#1 You could probably get away with that if there aren't any rules against it and there aren't any restrictions on the terminals/PCs that they use to prevent that sort of thing.

#2 Find a program called GetRight or something similar. They help out a lot for people on dialup by helping to manage downloads and keep things like frequent disconnects from causing you to lose data.

#3 If you don't have the $50 or whatever for someone to work on your PC you might consider dropping $20 on a cheap USB wireless network adapter if you have a wireless router or a $15 NIC if you don't.

Just bear in mind that most software like, and including, GetRight isn't freeware, but GetRight does have a 30 day trial period with more or less unlimited usage and beyond that the restrictions aren't too horrid if it's the same as it was when I last used it about a decade ago. Yes, a decade, and it's still updated and supported.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#3crazy4rpg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 4:54:08 PM
Marikhen posted...
#1 You could probably get away with that if there aren't any rules against it and there aren't any restrictions on the terminals/PCs that they use to prevent that sort of thing.

#2 Find a program called GetRight or something similar. They help out a lot for people on dialup by helping to manage downloads and keep things like frequent disconnects from causing you to lose data.

#3 If you don't have the $50 or whatever for someone to work on your PC you might consider dropping $20 on a cheap USB wireless network adapter if you have a wireless router or a $15 NIC if you don't.

Just bear in mind that most software like, and including, GetRight isn't freeware, but GetRight does have a 30 day trial period with more or less unlimited usage and beyond that the restrictions aren't too horrid if it's the same as it was when I last used it about a decade ago. Yes, a decade, and it's still updated and supported.

#1 Well I see little signs at the library that says they offer USB storage devices for a small fee. If they're selling them it must be ok to use their PC's to download files.

#2 Is there a thing for Firefox that would do this? I'm looking at DownThemAll! right now. The description says I can pause & resume downloads at any time.

#3 I am broke, you have no idea how tight money is for me. I live 16 miles away from Atlanta Georgia and I may as well be living in a 3rd world country!
---
#4MarikhenPosted 2/19/2013 8:13:59 PM
I don't know about something to use with Firefox, but GetRight is a stand-alone application that just redirects the download stuff from your browser to itself.
---
#5crazy4rpg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 4:41:58 AM
Oh boy, DownThemAll! was a big help!

It took all night, and it disconnected 3 times, but I managed to get the Unofficial Patch downloaded to my internet capable PC, transferred it to my 4GB SD card thing (I'm surprised it fit, damn thing is smaller than my fingernail!) then transferred it to my Oblivion PC.

Checked it out for a few minutes and noticed a bit of improvement. The environment looked crisp and cleaner. And no more Popeye-arms with my Black and Burgundy Outfit yay!

The frame rate in Leyawiin Mages Guild is still choppy as **** though.

I'll check the library to see if I can do things faster there. I probably won't be able to get OOO or anything fancy like that. OOO sounds like it would be way bigger than UOP.

But yay I can finally start modding this ****!

**** Dial-Up!
---
#6MarikhenPosted 2/22/2013 7:35:57 PM
Ah dial-up. Fun stuff. I deathmatched on Los Angeles Quake 2 Keys 2 servers from Kansas City Missouri on dialup and I still kicked ass. Of course I also had a ping of 700-800ms and Keys 2 servers routinely had server-side latency issues that made any latency issues seem 50% worse (so that 300ms played like 450ms) at best. :-)

I was so glad when I was at my second college and they just let me bring my hard drive in and hook it up to the machines there to tap into the wireless link to their T3 connection. :-D Of course in retrospect I probably should have just brought in my whole tower and hooked it up to the network, but I didn't think to ask. >_>
---