Must have mods for the game?

#41DemiversePosted 4/10/2013 7:19:43 PM
Well, I thought leveling up was a given. Never resting breaks the game even without leveling mods, IMO.
---
"Don't blame me, blame society!" -Carl Johnson
#42MarikhenPosted 4/10/2013 7:34:43 PM
Yeah, but with Galerion's allowing for stat growth it breaks it even more. I mean you're looking at an average of something like 60 or so points for all attributes except strength which'll be around 95 points. The 150 or so points you get just from leveling are pretty much pure gravy. You'll be looking at 100 strength and probably 80 or so in everything else so the extra 25 points for non-strength stats is pure gravy.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#43MarikhenPosted 4/13/2013 11:58:05 AM
Okay, minor correction. Given that you can cast damaging spells on yourself to level Destruction there's no need for it to be a primary with Galerion's.
---
#44DemiversePosted 4/13/2013 5:42:08 PM
I wouldn't consider Galerion's to be a "must have mod". Or any leveling mod, for that matter. It's too dependent on personal preference.
---
#45MarikhenPosted 4/13/2013 8:34:44 PM
Honestly, while I would agree that leveling mods in specific aren't really "must have" mods I tend to consider leveling mods period as "must have" mods simply due to the way Bethesda's leveling system is set up.

Personally, if there was a mod that mixed OblivionXP with Galerion's, or at least some of the core ideas, I'd probably vote that for a specific "must have" leveling mod. What I'm thinking would be to take the concept that everything accrues experience and experience determines character level and combine it with usage of skills increases attribute values. Personally, I can't decide whether it would be better for a mod like that if skill/stat advancement were to be slower/lower than base Galerion's to allow for bonus points via experience levels to allow for some extra/direct character customization that way or if it should take a page from Skyrim and let players choose between a small bonus to health, stamina, or magicka at every level.
---
#46DemiversePosted 4/13/2013 9:21:36 PM
Marikhen posted...
Honestly, while I would agree that leveling mods in specific aren't really "must have" mods I tend to consider leveling mods period as "must have" mods simply due to the way Bethesda's leveling system is set up.

Personally, if there was a mod that mixed OblivionXP with Galerion's, or at least some of the core ideas, I'd probably vote that for a specific "must have" leveling mod. What I'm thinking would be to take the concept that everything accrues experience and experience determines character level and combine it with usage of skills increases attribute values. Personally, I can't decide whether it would be better for a mod like that if skill/stat advancement were to be slower/lower than base Galerion's to allow for bonus points via experience levels to allow for some extra/direct character customization that way or if it should take a page from Skyrim and let players choose between a small bonus to health, stamina, or magicka at every level.

Slower experience gain, with skill increases directly linked to attribute growth, would be ideal. Further customization with player-assigned skill points (a la Fallout 3) could work as well, but it's a fine line. The biggest challenge with leveling (for both devs and modders) is getting the balance right, while making the player feel as though they have at least some control with building/customizing their character.

Let's be honest - Beth took the easy way out by ditching attributes altogether with Skyrim. It's one of the biggest missteps of the series, IMO, because streamlining and simplifying are not synonymous. Oblivion's system of skills and attributes, for example, could have been streamlined to work as intended. The idea is there - it's the mechanics that need a revamp.

Bearing all this in mind, I'm inclined to agree that a "perfect leveling mod" is a must-have for Oblivion - if only such a thing existed.

In the meantime, we must attempt to identify which leveling system is the lesser evil, and go from there.
---
#47crazy4rpgPosted 4/14/2013 2:02:49 AM
Are there any decent mods that improve the Imperial Dragon Armor?

I've found a few that increase the armor rating to daedric quality for heavy armor and glass quality for light armor, but they don't seem to increase the actual health of the armor to match, so the armor wears out too quickly to be useful. Also they don't remove the enchantments.

Other just say screw it and pump everything up to godly broken levels.

Screw that I just want unenchanted Imperial Dragon Armor that doesn't suck!

Would it be better for me to just get the CS and edit the values myself? Not sure an amateur like me should be mucking around with something like that.

What about a Shield? The set is missing one. Normally I'd use the Escutcheon of Chorrol as it matches the armor well, but that thing is broken as **** all. Maybe I could make an Ebony Shield with the Imperial logo on it.
---
If life is a game, how do I enable God Mode?
#48MarikhenPosted 4/14/2013 3:24:21 AM
It wouldn't be one mod, but there are two mods that might help you do some of what you want.
Advanced Magecraft: http://www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/15587 - This mod allows you access to the enchanting and spellcrafting windows at any point in the game, and if that weren't broken enough it also lets you combine enchantments without restrictions. You could conceivably take every enchantment from every item you ever find in the game, or create for yourself, and put it on one ungodly broken item. It also lets you delete unnecessary spells, learn spells from scrolls, create new scrolls, rename items, and strip the enchantments from them. Well, the stripping is part of the combining, but if you don't combine...

It allows for you to seriously mega-break your game if you have no self-control, but you can use it to strip the enchantments you don't want off of gear so you can add the ones you do.

Durable Equipment Harder Repairs: http://www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/2196 - This mod increases the durability of all armor, not just the imperial dragon armor, which you may not want, but it should still increase the durability of that specific armor. You should probably also use the accompanying repair mod so that you don't gimp your Armorer skill leveling.

I personally like that it affects all armor as on my first run through Oblivion this year I found myself in a situation where I was comfortably using leather armor, not taking enough damage to need to upgrade it, and having to repair my armor every other fight purely because of how much damage it was taking.

There might be mods out there that do specifically what you want, but with those two you can kinda/sorta get to that point with more than just that armor.

Just a friendly word of advice. If you do use the Advanced Magecraft mod and you do delve into the whole thing with combining enchantments I'd recommend sitting down beforehand and thinking up a good scheme of self-limitation to prevent it from becoming too OP. For example decide that one grand soul gem, with a grand soul in it, needs to be used up any time you combine enchantments, or a soul gem of equal value to the highest valued enchantment being combined, and then chuck the gems in a container or NPC that the game will be deleting to actually dispose of them. You should also save your game before you start in on that or mass spell deleting. It's entirely too easy to screw up and either not properly store/restore enchantments or delete the wrong spell(s).

I just kinda wish Multiple Enchantments ( http://www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/9423 ) wasn't broken so far as I can tell. It would have done the job of mucking with enchantments with built-in restrictions and given it a little bit of quasi-RP flair.
---