How did I get a bad reputation???

#144Pj44Posted 5/28/2013 3:01:29 PM
I've been playing for awhile, but suddenly have started being greeted by strangers and friends alike with a sarcastic line, something like: "I used to think you were a hero, a real holy crusader, but I guess I was wrong." One woman recently expressed her disappointment that I was revealed to be a "sinner, just like the rest of us"!
I don't understand what I've done to bring on this reaction. I used to be greeted as "the hero of Kvatch", (which I still get sometimes). I had just finished the Crusader quest shortly before this started happening. I even considered that it had to do with my leaving all the crusader armor at my Anvil house instead of wearing it, so I changed back into all of that, but no difference.
My son thinks it's some kind of glitch, but I'd like to know for sure. If I did something "wrong" I'd like the chance to go back and fix it.
Anyone else experience anything like this?
Thanks.
#2OddplumePosted 5/28/2013 3:58:29 PM
It's not a glitch. When you do the Knights of the 9 quest lines, your infamy drops to 0. Keep it there. If it rises at all, you'll get the comments from hoity toity jerks who think you're supposed to be the friggin pope. Particularly though, if it rises to 2, you can't equip your crusader gear anymore.

Luckily, if you visit the all of the way shrines again your infamy will drop again.

Note though, if you like to make the first strike against your enemies, then this is going to be very hard.
---
Load the Spaceship with the rocket fuel, LOAD IT WITH THE WORDS!
#344Pj44(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 7:17:13 PM
thanks very much for the info; I thought I was going nuts:) I guess another tour of the wayshrines is in order.
#4crazy4rpgPosted 6/3/2013 11:24:41 AM
Oddplume posted...

Note though, if you like to make the first strike against your enemies, then this is going to be very hard.

Nah that just increases your Assaults.

I don't know what the programmers were thinking when they wrote the scripts for assaults.

Dive into a Fort/Cave/Ruin,
See an enemy up ahead (like a Vampire or Bandit),
Preemptively take it out before it sees you (normally a very sound tactical decision)
OH NO IT'S AN ASSAULT!!! **** the programmers! I'd drag them out into the street and have them shot if I could.

Infamy is what determine how badly people treat you. And you gain Infamy for completing Thieves Guild Quests, Dark Brotherhood Quests, or murdering a Guard. I'm not sure if murdering an ordinary NPC gets you Infamy. It's just the Guards I think.
---
If life is a game, how do I enable God Mode?
#5SlakrPosted 6/4/2013 1:06:41 PM
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Infamy#Infamy_Points
---
Ban the DH.
#6red255Posted 6/8/2013 9:53:39 AM
crazy4rpg posted...
Oddplume posted...

Nah that just increases your Assaults.

I don't know what the programmers were thinking when they wrote the scripts for assaults.

Dive into a Fort/Cave/Ruin,
See an enemy up ahead (like a Vampire or Bandit),
Preemptively take it out before it sees you (normally a very sound tactical decision)
OH NO IT'S AN ASSAULT!!! **** the programmers! I'd drag them out into the street and have them shot if I could.

Infamy is what determine how badly people treat you. And you gain Infamy for completing Thieves Guild Quests, Dark Brotherhood Quests, or murdering a Guard. I'm not sure if murdering an ordinary NPC gets you Infamy. It's just the Guards I think.

those NPCs were not hostile to you if you got an assault for attacking them.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.