Disappointed in the secret character *spoilers*

#1gamesage7Posted 11/6/2012 2:02:11 PM
Heat was so awesome in the 1st game, and had an excellent backstory...all the stuff he said and did in DDS1 made sense after the big flashback we see with the real Serph and real Heat. Yet, gameplay wise, Heat is incredibly disappointing. He should have been a physical version of Argilla with insane strength and low magic. Instead he is more well rounded, with high vitality I guess...Gale has just as much strength and more magic and is available the whole game and gets the most powerful spell in the game, so Heat is useless.

You dont' get Heat for much of the game, so he is behind in mantras as well, plus you have to make a bunch of specific decisions to get him....yet they make him maybe the worst character in the game. I don't get it.
#2DarkCharly27Posted 11/7/2012 1:14:45 AM
Dude...Heat Shares Roland's Mantra grid.

How do you not know this?

If you neglected Roland then Heat being weak is your own fault dude. Story wize Heat didnt have much to say this time around IMHO. Roland was a nice addition but like you I chose Heat over Roland. No real difference. But like you said a hidden tech was applied like Seraph,Gale and Argillia, that would of been nice to boot.
---
"its a video game not a book! if you want a real story, then go read a book"
#3DevhatesyouPosted 11/7/2012 8:34:56 PM
The worst part about Heat is that Atlus USA forgot to localize his combat lines so he speaks Japanese in the English version of the game. Other than that, like it was said he's basically Roland with different weaknesses and even inherits Roland's mantras.
---
The other thing I'm the best at is doing things I don't understand with my energy waves!
#4sevihaimerejPosted 11/8/2012 2:04:46 PM
Secret characters shouldn't just be people you've already had the opportunity to use anyway! It could've at least been Jinana or Jenna Angel or the Demi-Fiend with criteria of beating him.
---
The Official Aciel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#5NakratosPosted 11/8/2012 2:42:13 PM(edited)
It's just supposed to be an Easter Egg, anyway. It's pretty much an alternate skin for Roland.
And even though I love Nocturne, playing as Demi Fiend in DDS would be horrendous, in my opinion. Never liked senseless cameos and fan service, but that's just me.
#6sevihaimerejPosted 11/10/2012 6:10:26 PM
I actually agree with you but my point was that if you're going to give players rewards for secret actions make it worth the trouble like with pyriphlegethon. I just don't think it makes sense that the reward for ridiculous bosses like the demi-fiend and Satan should leave you with such pitiful spoils while one simple dialogue choice gets you the best attack in the game. At least getting him in you're party would've made the long hours of grinding seem more worth it than the near useless trophy that is the amala ring. I am a bit biased though as I really disliked Heat especially at around the halfway point of dds2 in the EGG...
---
The Official Aciel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#7gamesage7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 6:05:18 PM
1. Of course I knew Heat and Roland shared grids, I had used Roland and saw first hand. It isn't about the grids Heat can learn, it is just about how his stats are distributed. Gale having as much strength as him? That is just ridiculous.

2. To above poster, why did you hate Heat at midpoint of DDS2? If anything I liked Heat more, and got a strong dislike for Serph...well the REAL Serph.
#8JonnyZPosted 11/12/2012 8:15:40 PM
Devhatesyou posted...
The worst part about Heat is that Atlus USA forgot to localize his combat lines so he speaks Japanese in the English version of the game. Other than that, like it was said he's basically Roland with different weaknesses and even inherits Roland's mantras.

I always wondered if he was just mumbling or what...now I know why I couldn't understand his lines!

Anyway, Heat is the best.
---
PSN: ErikJon
WKC:IE ID = Jonny
#9DarkCharly27Posted 11/24/2012 12:15:20 AM
gamesage7 posted...
1. Of course I knew Heat and Roland shared grids, I had used Roland and saw first hand. It isn't about the grids Heat can learn, it is just about how his stats are distributed. Gale having as much strength as him? That is just ridiculous.

Insane strength? And low magic? Hmm, so your question is about the mechanic of stat allocation? I might be to far ahead of you to care for the mechanic anymore! Sorry! I can stat boost with ease.

I use gale also! Steven jay blum! Heat is one of those characters I really enjoy the voice but his demon image just doesn't interest me. The only characters that I bortherd to max all stats are Serph,Agilo and Gale.This game for me is about a broken mechanic that can swing EITHER WAY IMHO. Are you playing on hard or normal? I did hard.
---
"its a video game not a book! if you want a real story, then go read a book"