Real-time Fiona >>>>> CG Fiona

#1Arkane DenialPosted 8/3/2010 8:10:54 AM
Yeah. I don't get, 99% of the time, CG models look better than gameplay models, i can't believe I stumbled on the 1%.

Also, has anyone got any Codenreaker codes to remove Fiona's skirt on the Japanese version? Only US version has that code. And yes, I want to see some panty details because the Demento team is very detailed.

---
Man, internet lingo, it makes me lol.
- Kyojun MK107
#2EnetirnelPosted 8/3/2010 9:56:21 AM
That'd probably be as Demento came from the Biohazard 4 development and the leftovers were moved across, theoretically meaning that they had to remodel and reprogram the rooms from the GameCube to the PS2 - they're detailed but I doubt that they had enough time to properly render the FMVs in such high quality detail. *Shrugs*

I haven't got a code for it, as I haven't really looked into it properly yet - but I can tell you the details on the textures for her underwear isn't really anything special (I've got Fiona's normal model ripped with the textures) - it really isn't that interesting as the texture detail is fairly similar to Fiona's semi-stocking socks.
---
He burned... He melted... He died. So blunt huh, Hewie?
#3Arkane Denial(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2010 4:08:40 AM
Hmmm interesting, I always thought the Clock Tower 3 team had the most involvement due to the similarities.

But yes, props to the real-time Fiona design, she actually had very conspicious emotions on her face during tight moments (well, mostly it's just terrified but still...). I believe some side team like Shirogumi handled the CG scenes. This is the drawback for making CG...once it's created, there's no turning back.

I actually lost my PAL copy already, all I have is the Japanese version, sigh. Anyway, more opinions are welcome.

---
- Kyojun MK107
#4EnetirnelPosted 8/4/2010 5:29:47 AM
I can't remember exactly, but it was initially part of Biohazard 4 with Capcom Development Division/Production Studio 4 and it was moved to Division/Production Studio 1 after the main writer passed away during the game's development, they then proceeded to scrap that particular build and other games from the development of Biohazard 4 were covered by different groups within the company ( we had Devil May Cry, Outbreak and finally Demento). Clock Tower 3 was only published by Capcom, I do not recall the CT3 team being involved due to the passing of Kinji Fukasaku mid-development of it and the factor that they followed the general structure of what he envisioned before his passing if I recall correctly.

Studio 1 did actually handle Devil May Cry, Outbreak and Demento - and with Outbreak making use of the same control set as Demento and the concept art seemingly matching up in parts, as well as color palettes across all of them AND Biohazard 4 and intersecting development dating (on that we can see some characters across all of the concept art, the rooms also use the same file scheme as Biohazard usually does and a lot of other things in common).

They had a few varied people on the project, seemingly taking a leaf from what Sunsoft did during development and had film and/or television staff work on the project - considering that the pre-rendered models look essentially the same (and match up on direct overlays with the in-engine models) it could be put down to lack of time on facial capture causing the uncanny valley effect whereas the in-engine ones had already been captured before-hand if my dating on the files is correct (most of the animation sequences appear to have been last modified in earlier 2004, whereas others were added in extremely later).

If an additional team had been outsourced to do the render work, then they would have been credited in it or even in the Complete Book but they aren't so we could take with that and the details on the textures that it probably was an in-studio work as they tend to try and push the bar when in relation to Biohazard and/or things spawned from it as it's their money-making franchise.

I've got the first Japanese release, US and PAL copies of the game - there isn't any difference and the detail really isn't anything more than what you can glimpse within some of the cutscenes so it is rather pointless to remove her skirt (disabling model parts can cause some slight bugs as well).
---
#5Arkane Denial(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2010 1:25:52 PM
Excellent speech, you sure know stuff especially about the shift to Studio 1 midway through, although I forgot about Sunsoft.

I did play Biohazard Outbreak 1 and 2, and yeah, the controls did remind me of Demento.

Nevertheless, I still vote for Demento's in-game graphics above them all. Man, even young Lorenzo's thick eyebrows were creepy-ingly detailed. XD

---
- Kyojun MK107
#6EnetirnelPosted 8/5/2010 7:18:11 PM
Well, Biohazard 4 did initially have a zombie version - with Outbreak in development at the same time and taking into consideration that Devil May Cry was also spawned from it - it isn't really a surprising tidbit.

Yeah, well the textures are quite detailed although they are mostly smaller - they've actually got enlarged versions of the textures simply for the cutscenes to give further facial detailing over the in-game main models.

The details in the first part of the opening is really quite detailed, considering you can even see the damp surfaces of the hallway reflecting the light - though the final part looks like the lighting wasn't exactly complete during the chase sequence and a similar issue in the Opening itself - a particular frame shows and angle that suggests that it may have originally been in-engine (the player would need to escape from the cage/dog crate) but was most likely pre-rendered in order to save disc space as the game was almost 5gb at the end of the development.

Though, when you look at files compressed into the main archive on the disc - the dates further suggest it was somewhat rushed (only a few months before the release), whereas the rest of the files such as the archive and the ones outside it have different dates on them that would coincide with the time it would take to print the discs before they hit the shelves.

Considering it also wasn't really marketed, outside of Japan it probably was a quick bit of work in parts (probably to partially make up for losses by scrapping bits of Biohazard 4's development).

Regardless of those reasons that logically work with it's development, I do have to agree - they did do a good job although both models are the same in-engine just has a softer way of rendering them than how they were done in the cutscenes (little bit too much sheen on them).

None-the-less, it's got fantastic graphics and is a good game. :)
---