Haunting Ground > Rule of Rose > Clock Tower 3

#1xXMythieXxPosted 9/5/2012 4:17:27 PM
Haunting Ground

pros
- in-depth dog mechanics
- environments are detailed and set a great atmosphere
- characters have more flair (Daniella, especially)
- heavy influence of alchemical mythology
- better character design

cons
- bland music (in comparison only)
- too much of a reliance on titillating

Rule of Rose

pros
- beautiful soundtrack
- interesting and tragic story
- love-to-hate characters (the Aristocrats)

cons
- dull, uninteresting environment
- bad controls

Clock Tower 3

pros
- high tension
- nice music
- some very disturbing and gruesome scenes (first half of the game only)

cons
- Subordinates get sillier and sillier
- difficulty spike at final boss
- bad combat controls (can't aim the bow)
- characters are spastic
- entire plot winds up being ridiculous and full of holes
- Subordinates show up far too often
- no acknowledgment of exorcising all ghosts
---
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
#2EnetirnelPosted 9/5/2012 7:22:25 PM
I have to make a point of this, but in a decent part of Clock Tower 3 the soundtrack is rather repetitive.

Rule of Rose has a few particular pieces, namely A Love Suicide and Piano Etude that were repeatedly rearranged in strings but in different keys and the other string pieces all had rather similar tones.

Given the variety for A Love Suicide, they could have more variety in the music... Or given the nature of the game, taken a little inspiration from Akira Yamaoka's work on Silent Hill games to add a little variety whilst keeping the time period themes, inspirations instead of purely limiting it to a very select set of instruments for some eventually repetitive tracks.

Haunting Ground/Demento's music wasn't composed in the same manner of either of those games - Seiko Kobuchi used the actual recordings from the voice actors per character and/or area specific to the stalkers or events to add further undertones.

But it's made characters more creepy, like Daniella. Her theme is nearly entirely made up of the recording of Moira Quirk (her VA) saying "Azoth" and laughing.

I'm actually more interested in it due to the unique structure of the music. Clock Tower 3 was an attempt at being cinematic due to it's direction but it came off a bit shallow and repetitive and I can't have been the only one to have gotten sick of hearing a few particular tracks.

10. Impending Destruction (Sledgehammer)
13. The Time of Confrontation (Boss Fight Theme)

In fact, the boss theme being one of the main offenders.

Now, the difference being with our two Clock Tower games (Demento/Haunting Ground was actually the fourth one but was changed eventually during development) is that if you do accidentally trigger the stalkers it's also a bit of a punishment and that the music has always been used in the games as to help with the gameplay itself - music cues are used constantly in contrast to Rule of Rose which has set music per area but it's not being heavily used for gameplay cues in contrast.
---
He burned... He melted... He died. So blunt huh, Hewie?
#3xXMythieXx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2012 7:45:55 PM
You make some really good points! And I agree - although when I meant "bland" I was referring to how pretty I found the tracks, not how they were implemented.

In fact, I really adore certain tracks from HG, namely...

Something Lacking
Endless Zero
Fake Planets
Lunatic Piano
Last Debilitas
Last Daniella
Final Lorenzo
Precious Hewie

But I was rather fond of how they went with a leitmotif in Rule of Rose - "A Love Suicide" is unbearably beautiful, and I'm a sucker for violins and piano used together. But I liked the rather mood-swingy piano piece used for the "Mermaid Princess" chapter, and the mischievous string-heavy song in the "Bird of Happiness" chapter - neither of which involved said leitmotif.

Ehh... I really enjoyed "The Time of Confrontation." ._.'
But yeah, I do recall the graveyard theme giving me a longing for shards of glass in my ears. Like a high-pitched mosquito sort of squealing, god!

But I liked the boss theme, along with "Fantaisie-Impromptu" (or however it's officially spelled), the music that plays in the "Ghost Town" (Corroder's area), and "Sinking Memories." Ooh, and the one that plays in the cinematic where the titular clock tower rebuilds itself.
---
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
#4EnetirnelPosted 9/6/2012 3:32:02 AM
xXMythieXx posted...
You make some really good points! And I agree - although when I meant "bland" I was referring to how pretty I found the tracks, not how they were implemented.

In fact, I really adore certain tracks from HG, namely...

Something Lacking
Endless Zero
Fake Planets
Lunatic Piano
Last Debilitas
Last Daniella
Final Lorenzo
Precious Hewie

But I was rather fond of how they went with a leitmotif in Rule of Rose - "A Love Suicide" is unbearably beautiful, and I'm a sucker for violins and piano used together. But I liked the rather mood-swingy piano piece used for the "Mermaid Princess" chapter, and the mischievous string-heavy song in the "Bird of Happiness" chapter - neither of which involved said leitmotif.

Ehh... I really enjoyed "The Time of Confrontation." ._.'
But yeah, I do recall the graveyard theme giving me a longing for shards of glass in my ears. Like a high-pitched mosquito sort of squealing, god!

But I liked the boss theme, along with "Fantaisie-Impromptu" (or however it's officially spelled), the music that plays in the "Ghost Town" (Corroder's area), and "Sinking Memories." Ooh, and the one that plays in the cinematic where the titular clock tower rebuilds itself.

Ah, fair enough.

Well, it's mainly with the pieces used for ambiance purposes that are the more repetitive tracks.

I'm not sure, maybe I'm used to hearing them as I ripped the unreleased music from the game due to the lack of an actually complete soundtrack.

I like The Time of Confrontation as well, but it was also quite heavily used in marketing material as well so seeing as I've been going over that lately that's probably why it's gotten a little on my nerves.

Ah, well At The Grave did get pretty annoying. Though some of the better tracks sound a bit based off some of the earlier Clock Tower tracks (I've ripped all of the original CT game music).

I can't recall what the track title was for Corroder's area at the moment as I haven't bothered to rewrite the ID3 tags from Japanese to English so I'm just going from memory. >_<;

Just wondering though Mythie, have you been collecting some items as well?

I finally got around to starting to take some pictures of some of the stuff I have. XD
(Posted in my topic).
---
#5xXMythieXx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2012 7:30:25 AM
Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention - I am absolutely infatuated with Akira Yamaoka's music for Silent Hill. He, Joe Romersa, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn make an awesome team. "Hell Frozen Rain" is a prime example of that! Too bad they're over with. :/

And I remembered another little piece from CT3 that I also enjoyed - "White Pearlwort." Very pretty. It plays in the flashback where Nancy is explaining the clover pendant's purpose to baby Alyssa.

No, I haven't done any collecting. Did you think that because of the tracks I memorized? Nah, it's all in my brain. :P

I will be sure to have a look at those pictures!
---
#6EnetirnelPosted 9/6/2012 10:09:12 AM
xXMythieXx posted...
Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention - I am absolutely infatuated with Akira Yamaoka's music for Silent Hill. He, Joe Romersa, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn make an awesome team. "Hell Frozen Rain" is a prime example of that! Too bad they're over with. :/

And I remembered another little piece from CT3 that I also enjoyed - "White Pearlwort." Very pretty. It plays in the flashback where Nancy is explaining the clover pendant's purpose to baby Alyssa.

No, I haven't done any collecting. Did you think that because of the tracks I memorized? Nah, it's all in my brain. :P

I will be sure to have a look at those pictures!

Aha, I can understand that. I like their work, however I really dislike Mary's attitude as of late when it came to other's involvement and work on the HD Collection. My partner and myself were in the middle of a lot of conversations with development staff, voice actors and all sorts. What a mess. Moreso when that video of Mary in a closed room Q&A session went online for a couple of hours.

Anyway. I was lucky to get a copy of the Shadows of the Damned soundtrack signed by Akira Yamaoka and Suda51 (the overseas ones were signed by Yamaoka, Suda51 signed a few at random).

Ah, yes 3 does have some nice music to offset some of the more repetitive tracks.

Well, I figured that you might at the very least have the soundtrack given the factor of you remembering the track names. XD
---
#7RihawfPosted 9/6/2012 10:15:01 AM
Wow, the thing about Daniella's theme is interesting.
I enjoy Haunting Ground's OST not only for the character themes (Hewie's is so good), but for the environments ones; Twisted Eyes and Stalking Insanity.
Also the Liebestraume Notturno (something like that) "composition", I felt it was really nice.
I don't recall much from CT3 OST, I felt it was creepy, but fitting.
Don't know much about Rule of Rose
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#8EnetirnelPosted 9/6/2012 10:32:20 AM
Rihawf posted...
Wow, the thing about Daniella's theme is interesting.
I enjoy Haunting Ground's OST not only for the character themes (Hewie's is so good), but for the environments ones; Twisted Eyes and Stalking Insanity.
Also the Liebestraume Notturno (something like that) "composition", I felt it was really nice.
I don't recall much from CT3 OST, I felt it was creepy, but fitting.
Don't know much about Rule of Rose

Well, the majority of the soundtrack was done in that way. I've got it written up in my files along with the lyrics to the songs with vocals sung by Seiko. ^^

I like the area themes as well. Aaaand it's 3 a.m. and now I'm going to have Stalking Insanity stuck in my head (by the way, Rihawf, you managed to work out the site name). XD
---
#9xXMythieXx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2012 10:53:17 AM
Rihawf, are you talking about that old-timey feel that Liebestraume Notturno had? Like how it sounded as if it was being played from a phonograph? Because I rather liked that little detail.

Ooh, I can't believe I forgot about Stalking Insanity and Twisted Eyes! I liked Hazy Vision, too... And Ultimate Demento (the static and skipping made it really cool), and whatever Riccardo's area theme is called. Writhing Embryo, I think?

Innocent Freak. God, it's just perfect for good ol' Debi. Like a demented music box.

I changed my mind, actually. Haunting Ground has a really good OST. xD

I did not like Sly Hunter, however! It sounds like a washing machine going crazy with a herd of elephants in the background. :x
---
#10EnetirnelPosted 9/6/2012 11:03:26 AM
xXMythieXx posted...
Rihawf, are you talking about that old-timey feel that Liebestraume Notturno had? Like how it sounded as if it was being played from a phonograph? Because I rather liked that little detail.

Ooh, I can't believe I forgot about Stalking Insanity and Twisted Eyes! I liked Hazy Vision, too... And Ultimate Demento (the static and skipping made it really cool), and whatever Riccardo's area theme is called. Writhing Embryo, I think?

Innocent Freak. God, it's just perfect for good ol' Debi. Like a demented music box.

I changed my mind, actually. Haunting Ground has a really good OST. xD

I did not like Sly Hunter, however! It sounds like a washing machine going crazy with a herd of elephants in the background. :x

Sly Hunter was purposely done like that because Riccardo was the failure and was essentially broken. But pretty much all of the tracks from Demento mentioned in the topic have been made up out of the voice acting. (Even the opening track "Endless DEMENTO" has some on top of vocals).

... I wish Seiko & Sandou would release music for their new group title. And gah. I just checked their site which appears to be down. Just had to send a tweet to Seiko asking if their site is down. I wanted to order cds. :/
---