This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm playing this game again, what should I put skill points in?

#1ritz2Posted 11/30/2012 7:48:04 AM
Last I played was about a year before pirate info was leaked

I have a high 50s poison mage and an almost 40 knife bandit. I've looked at a couple of guides but everyone there was arguing over which skills to pump so that wasn't much help. Also, where should I go to level up these characters now?
---
http://i.imgur.com/UaixE.jpg
#2HsdaPosted 11/30/2012 7:57:48 AM
Well, you're a long time gone. You may wanna just reboot your characters, especially if the mage has any base LUK or thief has any base DEX. The substat system just got axed, so that's a total loss to them.

Anyway, what skills to master generally follows the same guidelines across all characters.

First, get a point in all your activated attacks for training. Second, master any buffs or passive abilities that generally improve damage output. Third, master all the rest of your buffs and passive abilities. Finally, start mastering utility attacks before general attacks unless you need something mastered to learn a higher class skill (e.g. the Gunslinger's Triple Shot needs to be mastered for the Corsair to learn Rapid Fire, and a Corsair without Rapid Fire will be a sad Corsair indeed).

For the most part, if it's just an attacking skill that will only be replaced later, you don't wanna bother mastering it unless it's necessary. Like, for the bandit, you can safely master Steal over Savage Blow, because Savage Blow is completely replaced by Midnight Carnival, while Steal is replaced as a mob skill, it remains as a utility skill (if you really, really want drops).

The exception to all that begins at 4th job, which you can worry about when you're 4th job.

Best training zone for 40s is probably the CDs at the top level of Kerning Square, which is accessed from the Kerning City Subway. At the 50s, you can probably begin training on Twisted Jesters, which are found in New Leaf City's haunted mansion. Use any multi-dimensional mirror in any town to reach NLC fast, then take the taxi to the mansion. Enter the mansion, then enter the hidden portal in the fireplace on the top floor (from the entrance). Bounce up the springs and reach the top to find twisted jesters.

blah blah blah words words.
---
Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish that man would go away.
#3ritz2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 8:04:01 AM
Well, you're a long time gone. You may wanna just reboot your characters, especially if the mage has any base LUK or thief has any base DEX. The substat system just got axed, so that's a total loss to them.
I thought that next patch(Today) ability points and skill points were getting reset.

Should I max the fire arrow or the poison spell for the wizard?
---
#4HsdaPosted 11/30/2012 8:47:40 AM(edited)
ritz2 posted...
I thought that next patch(Today) ability points and skill points were getting reset.

Should I max the fire arrow or the poison spell for the wizard?

Your skill points have already been reset. There's a single AP reset for a hot day here tomorrow, but that's only for one character.

In regards to Poison Breath or Blazing Arrow, it really doesn't matter. Personal preference. Both are activated attacks that get replaced.

Edit: http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/events/in-progress/00FWN for the AP scroll
---
Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish that man would go away.
#5MaplesGrandGMPosted 11/30/2012 8:52:23 AM
Jesus, don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

Poison Brace. Period. There is no personal preference. You want to be able to stack as much DoT as possible, Flame Arrow can't help there. Flame Arrow is useless now that PB is also a better mob skill. Max everything EXCEPT Flame Arrow pretty much. Unless you'd really like to have a useless attack skill over slow, which is fine, cause slow is useless too.
#6ritz2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 8:56:45 AM
MaplesGrandGM posted...

Poison Brace. Period. There is no personal preference. You want to be able to stack as much DoT as possible, Flame Arrow can't help there. Flame Arrow is useless now that PB is also a better mob skill. Max everything EXCEPT Flame Arrow pretty much. Unless you'd really like to have a useless attack skill over slow, which is fine, cause slow is useless too.

Can poison kill things by itself now or would I want one point in flame arrow early to finish them off

Also which new class should I start? I won't have any money of course.
---
#7HsdaPosted 11/30/2012 9:08:31 AM
MaplesGrandGM posted...

Calm down, cap.

I've never seen a Fire/Poison mage still using 2nd job skills in any situation, and would a 60% per second even matter? The time it takes to cast Poison Breath might just be worse than casting another Mist Eruption or Paralyze. I honestly doubt it's a skill that maintains much use later, therefore it is indeed personal preference.

I've never seen a Fire/Poison archmage at work in bossing, however. It's really quite sad if they still have to grasp for 2nd job skills to raise their overall DPS, though..
---
#8azn_riza_000Posted 11/30/2012 10:37:50 AM
Hsda posted...
MaplesGrandGM posted...

Calm down, cap.

I've never seen a Fire/Poison mage still using 2nd job skills in any situation, and would a 60% per second even matter? The time it takes to cast Poison Breath might just be worse than casting another Mist Eruption or Paralyze. I honestly doubt it's a skill that maintains much use later, therefore it is indeed personal preference.

I've never seen a Fire/Poison archmage at work in bossing, however. It's really quite sad if they still have to grasp for 2nd job skills to raise their overall DPS, though..

Actually it's recommended that you use Poison Brace even when in 4th job to be able to get as much DoT as possible before you use Mist Eruption.
#9CmaBoyPosted 11/30/2012 6:34:47 PM
If I remember correctly, Mist Eruption gets a 1.2x overall damage multiplier for every DoT effect stacked on the same target. So unless you already hit cap with the other DoT's alone, Poison Breath (and even Oz's Flame Gear) are still useful.

And at any rate, Poison Breath is always another stackable effect, while Blazing Arrow is just a transitional attack that's completely outclassed by Fire Demon the moment you hit Lv60.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791
"Bow and sword, in accord!"