This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can Maplestory survive?

#1pikamemnonPosted 8/4/2014 12:21:05 PM
If you ask this question to your average Mapler, then 1 of 3 responses is most likely:

1. Neutral, the player will not have strong feelings one way or the other.
2. A mixed reply of strong points or weak points in the game.
3. Flame thrower, the player has become so addicted that game discussion is no longer possible.

Alright, that is all well and good but lets take another look at Maplestory. A lot of players would state that the game has been corrupted by potential and this appears to be true. The business with the cubes has gotten way out of control and split the player base in unhealthy ways. So then if a player does not like the current game and does not like the direction it is traveling in, the simple answer would be to leave. (which a large portion of the population seems to have done already)

Ok, so then what about nostalgia? Nope, you cannot use this because it is really not the same game that it used to be. This may not bother some but without a doubt it adds to the player bleed.

Without a bright future or solid past to fall back to what is left?
Bear in mind that Global Maplestory was a niche title to begin with, what is going to happen when players realize just how little impact they have over the course of events? KMS has done great in the past but the backlog of problems is starting to catch up. Some people will always have a small level of interest but that interest will not last long with a bitterly divided community.

I want to say that yes it will survive but most of the times I am waiting for Nexon to pull it together, they just dig the hole deeper.
---
"You have your invincible spell!" Kerberos - Card Captor Sakura,
El Nido Bow Master
#2pikamemnon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 4:04:17 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Wafles_Posted 8/4/2014 9:43:38 PM
MS has too many big problems to attract new players nowadays, its appeal really has worn off and Nexon clearly can't revive it without making it unprofitable. I mean look at it in an objective way, everyone knows this game is very much pay-to-win, or at the very least pay to make your life at lot easier since you can't really "win", and this did two things: alienated a lot of current players, and made the game less accessible to newer players.

Maplestory 2 pretty much will decide whether or not they can keep the brand alive
---
all i play anymore is stepmania
#4pikamemnon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 6:18:49 AM
I like the idea of MS 2 but I hope that they change the name. A game like that should be able to exist side by side with the original, rather than possibly needing to rise from the ashes because its predecessor got run into the ground.

(as I said in the deleted message, some of this can be disregarded if you are new or have not been following along. I am just venting based off of a worse case scenario which may or may not be where Maplestory is headed)

Frankly I would seriously consider rolling the entire game back to when Leafre was released. (drastic times call for drastic measures) I would further suggest that anyone who spent over a certain amount of Nx be given a rebate in the form of Maplepoints. (like 30-50% or something, although technically Nexon would not be obligated to do this) It might not be possible to bring back people like NxProse but at least we can acknowledge where they left off and use it as a point of reference for going forward. If nothing else, the "We took your money b cuz we could" mentality should be halted straight away.
---
El Nido Bow Master
#5pikamemnon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:15:20 PM
Then again, Maplestory 1 has lasted this long, so who is to say that it could not keep on going no matter what happens? (it would be pretty funny to watch Maplestory outlast Maplestory 2 but I kind of want them both to succeed so) I think that a wait and see approach is probably the best.
---
El Nido Bow Master
#6Wafles_Posted 8/6/2014 10:46:15 PM
Rolling back that much time is a big "**** you" to everyone who spent actual money on the game and Nexon would never consider anything that removes any of the things they have already put in the game with the exception of antiquated maps that don't serve a purpose anymore.

Maple Story can't be saved and it can't live side by side with MS2. That's just how it is. There's literally no good business decision that can be made with the original that can revive its appeal. The damage is done now they just want to hold on to the players they still have.
---
all i play anymore is stepmania
#7Omnipotent_JmanPosted 8/7/2014 12:17:39 AM
pikamemnon posted...
Frankly I would seriously consider rolling the entire game back to when Leafre was released. (drastic times call for drastic measures)

- Lel, I can't take this seriously nor would I accept something like that.

- Then, you say that I'd only get 30-50% of my money back? I just can't take your argument seriously anymore.
#8pikamemnon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 2:15:30 AM
Omnipotent_Jman posted...

- Lel, I can't take this seriously nor would I accept something like that.

- Then, you say that I'd only get 30-50% of my money back? I just can't take your argument seriously anymore.

I hear ya but what would you suggest as an alternative solution? People like to exaggerate when they make claims about total stats and damage range but when you can have a player literally capable of dishing out 100% more dps then another player of the exact same class and level, how in the world is a developer supposed to balance new content for that?!

It is an extreme example but the longer that Maplestory 1 goes on like this, the harder it is going to be to change the system into something sustainable. Despite having weak customer service for years, the game managed to stay alive so I am thinking that anything is possible at this point.
---
El Nido Bow Master
#9SilentNinjaKijPosted 8/9/2014 3:05:58 PM
Here is a "Fix-All" Solution: Stop catering to the rich maplers, Cater to new Customers

***Make all weapons and equips lvl 120+ have easier access***

Timeless and Reverse should just drop from mobs at this point and makes no sense having to only make them from recipe's or gach.

Also bosses should drop 140+ equip earlier on, (such as Hilla and Zak) and various recipes as well.

***Update shops and quests with FAIR prices and inventory***

Shops need to be updated with equipment at least lvl 140, to regulate FM prices. Something that represent all items and all lvls need to be in the shops. I also hate seeing prices in npc shops for 1mill mesos and up for certain items. Makes a new player want to quit honestly. Its not like mobs are dropping 10k sack of mesos or anything. Remember that Showa town quest for 50mill? What the **** is that still here for?

Just make the game easier to survive past lvl 100.

---
----
#10HiddenRoarPosted 8/9/2014 7:00:59 PM
GMS? Nah. There is no interesting content coming (at least from KMS) that someone who never played the game would go "Wow, so cool I'm totally going to play".

There's what, 20-30k players online, about 1/4th~ being bots and hackers (obviously guessing). Only Scania and Windia has a "good" population while the rest are pretty dead. A big P2W factor, poor customer support, and practically no social interaction.

KMS? Scania and the merged worlds populations are pretty full. Eonosis practically had all 20 channels full when I went to revisit my 'characters made in 2006' account for a new name.