The Boxing Discussion Thread Pt.6: VBFS and all things Boxing

#1reppakenPosted 1/26/2009 12:32:11 PM
Part 6 guys!!!! We have had 5 topics go 500 posts. Nice job. Can't wait to see what happens in out next 500........I mean 499 posts.

Special credit goes to Mr Magic and sausage54 for keeping this thread alive and to the man that started it all.........sithspawn4. Even though he has been a little MIA lately. lol.

New inductee: sausage54
I'm sure sith would approve.

And a special welcome for DevinePunisher

This is a thread for VBFS Discussion and all things boxing related from VB to real world boxing to outright debate. Here are the biggest contributors to the ongoing thread:

reppaken
sithspawn4
Mr.Bojangles
Equalizer
dcreprezenta
Mr Magic
sausage54

Anyone is welcome to post at anytime. Do not hold back on your opinions to try to fit in here. We argue and debate HARD, but at the end of the day(or weeks), it's not personal(no matter how heated and venom-filled the debate gets...name-calling and all). Let's hope this thread is as lively as the last one!
It is possible for one new inductee to be added at the end of each 500 posts. That goes to the newest non-regular to bring both quantity and quality to the thread. The new inductee is voted in by the current regulars in post#1. It's up up to the regulars to keep the 500 dream alive! Once you make it to post#1 as a regular, you never leave. Honored for all-time!! Here's to "The Boxing Discussion Thread Pt.100:(current game at the time) and all things Boxing.

It begins.

---
What if you die Dwight, how will we get into the office? If I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks.
#2reppaken(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2009 12:42:06 PM
I can't think of another win right now that has made me more happy than Mosley over Margarito. Well De la Hoya/Pac is right up there, but not close considering.

Man, I really got that wrong. Good call on the style match up, reppa. Any time I disagree with something you say, just bring up how I called you crazy for thinking Mosley could win.

Mr Magic,
lol. Bout time I call one right. I usually go for the underdog and go with my heart, but I have always been a fan of Mosley and he deserved this. So is this a good time for him to retire or go after Berto?

Reppa,

Good call on the Mosley/Margarito fight. For Prizefighter hopefully we can get a few bouts soon.

Hey fellas,

It may have already been mentioned Hatton vs Pacquaio is official.

sausage,
thank you kind sir. I have been practicing a little bit. Going to load it up after I get done with this post. Did I tell you that it saved all fights and career? I guess it's tied to your gamertag and not harddrive. I'm going with Pac in a brutal 5th round stoppage.

just goes to show you. no matter how tough you are, there is always somebody who can beat you. i'm so ready for Fight Night Round 4 now, i'd trade my girlfriend for a finished copy of the game !!

DevinePunisher,
agreed. Are you playing FRN3 or Prizefighter at all? And I ask everyone that is remotely into boxing and videogames this question................have you played Knockout Kings 2001 (ps2)?

---
What if you die Dwight, how will we get into the office? If I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks.
#3sausage54Posted 1/26/2009 6:37:31 PM
Thank you guys for the official welcome.

I am also very happy for Mosley and I would not mind if he retired. I am not sure how I feel about him fighting Mayweather. I rather him fight a stay busy fight and take on the winner of Hatton vs Pacquaio. If Mosley vs Mayweather happened I believe Mayweather would frustrate him, but it would be close on the cards due to Mosley's power punches.

I cannot picture either Hatton or Pacquaio beating Mosley if they fight before December. If Mosley waits to long, you don't know what else father time will take away from his boxing ability.
#4Mr_Magic00Posted 1/27/2009 9:04:13 PM
I need to tag this.

Devine asked us if we thought Mosley could beat Floyd.

I'll answer after I've given it some though.
---
What is wrong with these people? They have no willpower. I once went twenty-eight years without having sex. And then again for seven years.
#5reppaken(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2009 1:35:07 PM
Hmm...........great question to get the topic going. You guys know how I feel about Floyd. Well Devine doesn't, but lets just say I don't care for him too much. I do respect his boxing ability, but I feel robbed as a boxing fan based on his career path. I'll leave it at that. I'm a big Mosley fan, so I have to go with him by default. But to be honest........I'm not really sure. Mosley has great speed and power. I think Floyd is faster, but timing beats speed and Mosley has plenty of speed himself.

I have to give the edge to Mosley. He would take the fight to Floyd and win on points being the aggressor. That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure we will all go into a lot more detail as everyone starts to post on this question.

sausage,
my cab Nonito Donaire is coming for you. He's in training right now, but he has you in his sights. lol.

---
#6ZubZubPosted 1/28/2009 7:22:05 PM
I was pretty surprised of Mosley's performance after seeing his lackluster fight with Mayorga. What you guys think of the investigation regarding Margarito's hand wraps? I hope there's nothing illegal. It would be very bad for the sport. If it turns out to be plaster of paris in the wraps, it makes you think about Margarito's fights in the past especially with Cotto.
#7Mr_Magic00Posted 1/29/2009 6:40:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Mr_Magic00Posted 1/29/2009 7:35:27 PM
This has to be completely hypothetical for me because unlike many people, Floyd is a retired fighter in my eyes, and as such doesn't equate into fights with active fighters. I know he can come back but I like boxing to move forward, so if he says he's done, I want to focus on fighters who aren't. We never let go of Oscar DLH and we all know how I feel about that.

Anyway, I'd give the advantage to Floyd. I could see Floyd getting his shots in and then getting out, and his defense being good enough to avoid a lot of Mosley's punches. I could also see Floyd getting his jabs and straight-right hands in. At the very least the jabs, which could set up the right hands. And as you said repppa, Floyd is fast enough. Overall, Mayweather is a more complete fighters, especially in the defense department, than Margarito, Mayorga, Cotto (who doesn't have an underrated defense, just sayin sausage), or Vargas.

On Mosley's end, he's strong and has fast hands, and that's really what I associate with him. I'm thinking of the last guy with fast hands that Floyd fought and that was Zab, and Floyd did get caught a few times early, and unlike Zab, Mosley wouldn't stop fighting before the fights over.

To be honest I don't know what to expect from Mosley. In his fight against Cotto, he fought like I expected. Against Mayorga, I thought he looked terrible. Against Margarito I thought he was very smart.

But yeah, Floyd by decision, mostly by hitting without getting hit and defense.
---
What is wrong with these people? They have no willpower. I once went twenty-eight years without having sex. And then again for seven years.
#9Mr_Magic00Posted 1/29/2009 7:55:44 PM
Blah at this discussion; I feel like I'm rambling. Who knows how it would go? Some post from a respectable forum that agree or kind of agree with reppa:

i have to disagree with the person who said he doesnt think mosley can fight into his late(er)30's/40's. hes a fighter who always had sound fundamentals, but also had the speed and power. pretty much 8/10s in every department. his hand speed was pretty amazing tonight, and i think if he fought mayweather he would win. he has more in his arsenal. i dont like mayweathers strategy of waiting for everyone to lose, then find a common opponent and saying he woulda won as he whooped x fighter. as good as he is, hes a very carefully managed fighter, so who knows how good he really is?

~~~~~~~

I've always said i don't think even Mosley can outbox the boxer in Mayweather.

But after last night, i think it's fair to say Mosley punches harder than anybody Mayweather has faced. Mayweather could get KOd. Mosley has the speed to hit him hard.

---
#10reppaken(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2009 3:57:52 PM
Treize223,
how's it going? Been awhile since we have heard from you. Hope all is well. I sure hope there is nothing to the hand wraps. Kinda makes me wonder though. I think we need to see a rematch between Cotto and Margarito and soon.

---