XX-XALBERTX-XX's Board FAQ Version 2: Read Before Posting

#1XX-XALBERTX-XXPosted 12/10/2007 10:58:09 AMmessage detail
Alright, two things to state before I begin.Firstly if you fail to read this topic and It is either not stickied or on the first page at all through either a link or just the topic itself, do not expect your questions to be answered at all by anyone. Secondly while looking through the table of contents, if you see a certain section you just want to skip to use the Crtl+F command and type in [SE##] (replace ## with the section number)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Table Of Contents
1) How do I save? [SE1]
2) What is the difference between save/quicksave? [SE2]
3) Can I play this online (Purpose of wifi)? [SE3]
4) Where are the best spots to find the Master Smith once I unlock her? [SE4]
5) Where are the best locations for level grinding? [SE5]
6) How do I revive? [SE6]
7) When should I switch to my Onion Knight? [SE7]
8) How do I use staffs to cast magic? [SE8]
9) How do I find my Friend Code? [SE9]
10) How does the MP work? [SE10]
11) How do I raise my characters stats? [SE11]
12) How do I get 9999HP [SE12]
13) How do I fly over mountains with the INVINCIBLE? [SE13]
14) Is there a new game plus? [SE14]
15) How do I cast a spell on my entire party? [SE15]
16) How do I gain job levels? [SE16]
17) Credits [SE17]
How do I save? [SE1]
Ok, this was probably one of the most asked questions when this game first came out. It is still a question that people ask a bit but not as much as others. I figured I would clarify this first.

As many people have noticed, there are no save points In Final Fantasy III. Some people do not like this concept, especially because of the final dungeon because it is so long and when they get to the final boss and die they have to start over. I myself like the fact that there are no save points. It adds to the challenge of the game.

Anyways, you can only save on the World Map. Anywhere else, do not bother trying as the save function will be grayed out and useless.
What is the difference between save and quicksave? [SE2]
This question is not a common one but I have seen it a few times and figured I would clear up some confusion on the differences between the save and quicksave functions.

Save can only be used on the world map and creates a piece of permanent data on your game which will never be lost. Thats about all there is to that one. The save option can be found in the menu.

Quicksave, on the other hand only creates temporary data. It can be used anywhere, even in dungeons but if you load it, the data vanishs and you have to resave it. You must also turn off your DS or DS Lite right after using this function so you can not go on after using it. Also on the main screen if you select new game or load game and load a file from there, the quicksave data will be immidiately remove. It is really only useful if you are in the middle of a dungeon and your battery is running low or you have to go to bed or something. You can also make use of it for Mognet as you can quicksave infront of a moogle for the 1 hour clock trick but, I don't recommend this as sometimes you might forget to do it. Like save, the quicksave option can be found in the menu.

DO NOT POST YET

---
120 Karma Currently (updated weekly)
"I came, I saw, I got blowed up."-Ernest
#2XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 10:59:28 AMmessage detail
Can I play this online (purpose of wifi)? [SE3]
Ok, I have seen this asked quite a few times. Not nearly as much as it used to be mind you but it used to be asked a lot.

The short answer is no, You can not play this game online. The only purpose of the WIFI function of the game is to exchange letters through moogles using their new function with this game of Mognet. By doing this you can unlock many sidequests. To some people this might seem pretty useless because they do not have wireless or can not get access to it. I have only two answers for this. Either try to get to a wireless hotspot like McDonalds or Starbucks, or you can buy a little USB device that plugs into your computer and gives you a small wireless signal for your DS to make use of.
Where are the best places to find the Master Smith when I find her? [SE4]
Ok, this is a fairly simple one. Just take your fastest airship the natalus (sorry if I got the spelling wrong) and go to the town of Gyashl. Head in there and go to the small house with the chocobo pen in it. She is there. If she does not show up there go back to the airship and fly just a little to the left and land where you ended up after you jumped off of Dragon's Peak and go into the small forest at the top of that area with the Gnome who gives you the mini spell in Healing Copse.
Where are the best spots to level grind? [SE5]
This is still the most commonly asked question I believe. One is the Kum Kum trick in the first room of the Crystal tower. There is an enemy there who will infiniately summon an enemy called Kum Kum. The enemy who summons them is called Bluck. He looks like a wierd purple pimple with tentacles growing off of him. This is probably the best way to grind levels because in one battle you can get millions of experience points but I enjoy the second level grinding area better.

The second area is Bahamut's Lair, the second room. You will always always run into battles with groups of three enemies worth 5700 experience per battle. It might not be quite as fast as the Kum Kum trick but I like it way better because of the fact that you aren't just sitting in one battle for like a half hour. You are constantly running around.
How do I revive? [SE6]
Ok, a lot of people keep wondering how you can revive early game before access of the reviving spell or phoenix downs in shops (phoenix downs are never available to be bought).

To revive, there are revival springs in some towns along with HP/MP restoring springs. There is one other way to revive and that is farming phoenix downs from rust birds on Dragon's Peak using a high job level thief and stealing it from them. I am not sure of the job level required but there is a great stealing FAQ that you could check.

DO NOT POST YET
---
#3XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 11:01:46 AMmessage detail
When should I switch to Onion Knight? [SE7]
The onion knight job is one of the most useful jobs in the game, after a certain point. At any levels below 93 the stats are pure junk on the onion knight making them about as useful as the freelancer. After level 93 the Onion Knight's stats skyrocket and he suddenly becomes useful. The onion knight takes all the fun out of the game though if you ask me because at level 99 they have all stats at 99 and can use both white and black magic up to level 8. Also, the Onion knights might get decent stats after level 93, but their stats don't get decent until around level 97.
How do I use staffs to cast magic? [SE8]
People know that staffs can cast magic, but are a little unsure of how it is done. To cast magic during battle by using a staff is more simple than people think. With the staff in your inventory, select the Item command during battle and find the staff with the magic you want to cast. Lets just say Staff A casts Fira. Select Staff A from the item list, targer an enemy with it and Staff A will trigger the Fira spell for Zero MP. Also, if you press up in the items menu to get to your equipped weapon and shield, you can cast the spell right from an equipped staff.
How do I find my friend code? [SE9]
Some people wonder where they can get their friend code. After beating the Djinn boss and purifying the mythril ring the moogles become available. If you go to a town with a moogle in it (every town) talk to him and select address book and display friend code. This is the friend code for your copy of Final Fantasy III. You can only add friend codes for people with the same version of Final Fantasy III as you into your address book (US to US, UK to UK). You can not add other ones to your address book.
How does MP work? [SE10]
MP works on 8 different levels.

0/0/0/0
0/0/0/0

Each number represents the level of magic that MP is for.

Level 1/Level 2/Level 3/Level 4
Level 5/Level 6/Level 7/Level 8

The higher the number in each section, the more times you can cast that level of magic. To increase your MPs capacity, simply level up. Each spell takes up 1 MP from its section in the levels of magic. Lets say you cast fire and your MP before casting is

3/3/3/3
3/3/3/3

After casting fire your new MP would read

2/3/3/3
3/3/3/3

because fire is a level 1 spell and takes the level 1 mp.

DO NOT POST YET

---
#4XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 11:03:47 AMmessage detail
How do I raise my characters stats? [SE11]
Your characters stats depend on the job you are using. They do not carry over between jobs, only your HP does. To raise your stats you just simply have to level up. Stat growth is fixed. There is also stat boosting equipment if you need it at many towns and just as treasure floating around. I do not know the exact pieces of equipment that boost stats or how much they boost them by. Now, when you switch a job you go through a job transition phase at which point your stats are lowered for so many battles. Afterwards they will be raised back to normal. Say you switch to freelancer and the transition is 3 battles, just fight 3 battles and the jobs stats will raise back to normal.
How do I get 9999 hp? [SE12]
To get 9999 HP, you need to use the black belt job as it has the highest Vitality of any other job. I suggest you switch at around level 40-43 so you do not have to worry at all about selective leveling. I switched at level 38 once. It took a lot of attempts for some bosses, but at level 40-43 you are more than likely guaranteed to hit 9999 HP without crunching numbers or doing any selective leveling. At around level 50 you are still very likely to get it but you might have to do a little selective leveling. Also, only your BASE vitality comes into effect when maxing HP. If you have any vitality boosting equipment on it will not have any effect at all in terms of maxing your HP.
How do I fly over mountains with the airship INVINCIBLE? [SE13]
When you first get Invincible, it tells you that you can fly over mountains by pressing A. What confuses most people is that when they press A, the ship hovers up and then back down, and they cant seem to stay up. In reality, you can only fly over certain mountains, not all mountains. You do not get to just fly around the world unstopped with the Invincible.

The mountains you can fly over are smaller than normal mountains, they visually look different, and they always have regular land on both sides. In order to fly over them, you must fly right up against them, facing the mountain, and simply press A. the ship will fly up, then over the mountain, then back down.
Is there a new game+? [SE14]
In short, no. The new game plus is a feature not common to Final Fantasy. If you beat the game and save a completed file, you can continue playing from it but you can not start a new game from any old data. New game plus was only available in Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy X-2.

DO NOT POST YET
---
#5XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 11:04:51 AMmessage detail
How do I cast a spell on my entire party? [SE15]
When casting a spell out of battle, select the "All Party Members" option located under the list of party members and you will be able to cast it on your entire battle. If you are in a battle, you can target your entire party by pressing Right on the Control Pad while selecting your target. You can also target the entire enemy party by pressing Left instead. However, if you just want to target a specific group of enemies, press Up or Down on the Control Pad. For example, if you are fighting a party of two Goblins and a Carbuncle, you can target just the two Goblins by themselves, rather than the entire enemy party.

If you are using the stylus, slide the stylus over the group/party that you want to target. When you are sliding the stylus, the group that you are targeting will be highlighted in a box.
How do I gain job levels? [SE16]
Job levels do not really affect much in this game...mainly they affect the number of hits a job does when it uses the attack command, and of course the more hits an attack makes the more damage the enemy will take. Also any jobs you get to job level 99 can unlock a special piece of equipment for that job only. It also affects some specific skills at a higher job level. Example-Dragoon's jump is stronger, Thief's steal is more potent, Vikings provoke works more often.

Anyways, there are different looks on job leveling. Leveling up a job for one person at a time (other 3 party members dead) and leveling up jobs for everyone at once. Now, the superior one here is obviously doing everyone at once because you can always switch jobs if you max out another one. There is no real point to level up one persons job at a time that i can see really because other party members will miss out on experience (not that it is much with the area you grind at).

Now, the easiest way to grind job levels is to go to the town of Ur and walk around outside it fighting goblins. Just use the fastest command a job has that doesn't do any damage anywhere from 5-13 times depending on if the job is below or above job level 15. Refer to the job faq in the faqs and guides section to find out the job points each job gets. Every job needs 100 job points to get a level. Most jobs have the guard command which is the best way to level the job too.

If a job, such as the thief, doesn't have the guard command just use the steal command so many times to get the required job points to level the job.

Now, another thing that people wonder is if job points overflow past 100 so you would only have to do so many commands in 1 battle then just 1 command the next battle. I just tested this myself with freelancers as they always get 20 job points per command and found out the answer to this question.

Now, I erased this part from my old FAQ and retested it. There is an overflow of 99 points. I guarded 9 times in 1 battle and used the attack command once to finish off the battle for a total of 10 commands in one battle and then I used a single attack next battle to kill off 1 goblin (just to clarify, all my tests were done in a 1 goblin battle and with freelancers). Then I retested it but with 11 commands in 1 battle. It appeared to cancel out the 99 point overflow with the 11th command because when I went into the second battle and with those 11 commands and killed the 1 goblin with 1 attack, I did not gain a job level.

DO NOT POST YET
---
#6XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 11:09:14 AMmessage detail
Credits [SE17]
Myself for typing up this FAQ

IDEAS
Smacd for his Ideas on the
Stats section, MP Section, Friend Code Section, Magic with Staffs Section, New game plus section

SilentLoner for his idea on the reviving your characters section

SECTIONS

Smacd for the entire Flying over Mountains section

SilentLoner for the entire Casting spells on the entire Party section

YOU MAY POST NOW
PLEASE REQUEST STICKY IF YOU CAN

---
#7RankaranaPosted 12/10/2007 12:02:35 PMmessage detail
Good. However, about flying over mountains with the stylus-

Just place your stylus on the other side, and you will automatically rise and go over the mountains.
---
"I am a cod, a coddy cod..."- Julian, The Final Worldian Saga. Pearl Name: Alicia, FC: 5412 8092 5729
#8SmacdPosted 12/10/2007 2:42:52 PMmessage detail
Interesting Rankarana-- I am one of the users that rarely uses the Stylus. I've found that alot of the stylus commands are a little tricky to figure out, especially since it isn't explained in the instruction manual, and wasn't ever really explained in the game.

To XXalbertXX-- Good job with the updated FAQ. the only thing you left out was telling the n00bs where the save option is located (in the menu). otherwise, its nice to see that all the updates are incorporated.

Your results for the job point overflow is rather interesting though. There may need to be some more testing to be done with that-- it would be interesting if, once you get 100 jp in a battle, and then keep fighting, your jp will keep cycling between 100 and 199 over and over till you end the battle. I was always under the assumption that it simply stopped at 199, but if it cycles back to 100... thats quite an interesting result. anyway... just thoughts.
#9XX-XALBERTX-XX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2007 3:10:54 PMmessage detail
it says the save option is in the menu at the end of each paragraph, same for quicksave
---
#10SmacdPosted 12/10/2007 3:15:08 PMmessage detail
ah. guess i missed that. i would have thought it was in the "how do I save" section. i skipped over the save vs quicksave section.