best party for endgame? (more spoilers)

#1krunchyfroggPosted 11/20/2012 1:59:59 PM
OK, so physical attackers trump magic users endgame, right?

So, I looked up the three best physical attackers, and at job level 99 with best equipment, they are:

Black belt (attack 396) (fists)
Monk (attack 368) (fists)
Warrior (attack 310) (gigantic axe + ultima weapon)

And, you need a healer, so the obvious choice is Devout.

Of course, if you're going to grind out that much of a party, may as well make that Devout into a level 99 Onion Knight. ;)

This party might actually be a lot of fun: Two of the jobs are available right away, allowing you to not even need to grind those two (therefore allowing for a lot of flexibility throughout the game).

Interesting, right?
---
#2oldguy2Posted 11/20/2012 4:44:34 PM
Devout doesn't get as much of a HP increase at level up as does a black belt and onion knight gets even less. I leveled as a black belt to character level 94 with 9999 HP, then switched to onion knight and job leveled the onion knight to 99, but that was a really slow grind.
I have had a double boosted black belt hit a red dragon for over 80000 damage in one hit.
I didn't bother with onion knights in the party until I got ready to kill the iron giant, long after finishing off the cloud of darkness to end the main game and saved so I could go around the ??? Dungeon for dragons and the iron giant.
---
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.
#3krunchyfrogg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 7:58:21 PM
oldguy2 posted...
Devout doesn't get as much of a HP increase at level up as does a black belt and onion knight gets even less. I leveled as a black belt to character level 94 with 9999 HP, then switched to onion knight and job leveled the onion knight to 99, but that was a really slow grind.
I have had a double boosted black belt hit a red dragon for over 80000 damage in one hit.
I didn't bother with onion knights in the party until I got ready to kill the iron giant, long after finishing off the cloud of darkness to end the main game and saved so I could go around the ??? Dungeon for dragons and the iron giant.

Oh, I'm a fan of having the Devout level as a Black Belt for maximum HP. I'm wondering if the Warrior and Monk would reach that goal if they stayed in just that class the whole time.

In reality, I don't have the patience to advance a character to level 99 with 9999 HP, so it really doesn't matter.
---
#4krunchyfrogg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 7:59:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5krunchyfrogg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 4:19:46 PM
Y'all could have saved me the trouble and told me this party stinks...

I'm sure it's awesome if you grind it to character level 99, but at level 54 (even with job grinding to level 99 for everybody) the monk and black belt are doing significantly less damage than the warrior. If I switch the Monk and BB to other melee classes, they do a lot more damage, and that's at rather low job levels.
---