New jobs

#1Emperor_mateusPosted 1/11/2013 11:55:35 AM
Hey guys

I've recently bought final fantasy 3 since I was in the mood to play an rpg and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice.
I just defeated Salamander (easier then I expected) and just received my new jobs. I'm fine with 3 of my characters, but I was thinking of ditching the red mage class. For some reason it hasn't impressed me so far.

Ahem anyway so far my team is
Luneth: Thief
Arc: Black mage
Refia: White mage
Ingus: Red mage

Any advice about the job change. I was thinking about Knight or Ranger, but i'm open about every job except Geomancer. I heard they where good, but I don't really like the class.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#2LBokshaPosted 1/11/2013 1:22:30 PM
The knight is a very solid class. Basically a stronger, tougher red mage with less magic ability. Of the second crystal's classes, it's pretty much the only job worth switching to.
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#3terran3999999Posted 1/12/2013 11:50:34 AM
I second the Knight Job being kickass.

Ranger sucks ass, and so does a Geomancer so I'm not sure why someone would tell you their good.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#4AkanubonOrihPosted 1/13/2013 3:44:41 AM
I felt the same way about Geomancers until I actually tried it. I distinctly remember seeing that I got it and saying "Ugh... why?" out loud. It wasn't until I read the whole powerful magic with no MP description that I thought I'd give it a shot. Boy am I glad I did. Which begs the question: how does Geomancer suck ass? I kept a Geomancer for a looong time and it was one of my heaviest hitters. It also had the best armor in my group for a little while with 70+ defense to my Dark Knight and Dragoons 40+. Sure the magic is random so sometimes it doesn't do much (I'm looking at you Whirlpool), but if you get the good stuff like Ice Pillar, Cave-In, etc. then it can do some major damage. Rune & Earthen Bells are no pushovers either. There was a point where my Geomancer was doing almost as much as my fighting jobs, except my Geomancer was in the back row.

I did eventually switch off Geomancer after getting the Earth Crystal's jobs, but there was a point where I was seriously debating making my entire team Geomancers so I could just wreck everything.

I actually didn't much care for my Knight when I used it. I found him to not do much damage, and I was still using a White Mage at the time, so the magic he could cast felt a bit pointless. So I don't really recommend anything from the second set if you're that dead set against Geomancers.
---
Like the "100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3" fan page on Facebook! (http://tinyurl.com/3gj2r6g)
#5ArmaLeyvatenPosted 1/13/2013 11:00:12 AM
Geomancers are pretty good, I'll agree, but I find the reason most people blatantly hate on them without giving them a fair shot is because they're just not good enough in end-game. Their defense is good at the point in the game you're describing, sure, but it doesn't hold up that well against the enemies you fight later. Knights may not start out all that stellar, but at least in the end they get Crystal armor, Ragnarok, and Ultima Weapon (or Excalibur if you don't have access to Ultima Weapon), making their defense and offense better than a Geomancer. For a Geomancer to make the most out of the bells you'd have to put them in the front row, which, with their subpar defense is dangerous to do.

All that said, their only worthless Terrain attacks are the instant-death ones, and those only occur in ~20% of the areas you traverse after you unlock Geomancers. Don't ever say "Shadowflare is leets", because I used a Geomancer during the same timeframe, and I saw it a grand total of 3 times, all against minor enemy encounters >.>
#6terran3999999Posted 1/15/2013 10:15:18 AM
I actually didn't much care for my Knight when I used it. I found him to not do much damage, and I was still using a White Mage at the time, so the magic he could cast felt a bit pointless. So I don't really recommend anything from the second set if you're that dead set against Geomancers.
You're either a hypocrite or a fanboy.

You go on and on about trying the Geomancer yet you didn't even bother with the Knight, or don't know any information about it. The Knight gets access to some of the most powerful weapons outside of the Onion Blade and Sword. In terms of rising potential and endgame worthiness, any good melee Job will trump the crap out of a Geomancer.
---
#7Emperor_mateus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 11:35:08 AM
Oops I forgot about this topic. Ahem anyway I went for knight since I heard good things about it in the first replies, that and I figured a sword user would come in handy.

Btw is the ranger really that bad? The third guide I checked for job reviews wasn't that negative about him.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#8terran3999999Posted 1/15/2013 12:31:56 PM
Yes they are, Barrage just sucks ass in this game and Rangers needed to also rely on stupid arrows. Unless you're willing to cheat you can only carry up to 99 arrows. They also don't get access to BOTH Crystal Armor and White/Black Robe which just makes them extremely squishy.

The thing is, FF has never been good with balance(even XIII) and this game especially is no exempt from it, some Jobs are just overall better than others.
---
#9LBokshaPosted 1/15/2013 12:34:49 PM
Yes, the ranger really is that bad. For some stupid reason, they never get more than early mid-game armour on top of their already poor vitality and mind stats, they constantly need to be fed arrows, their only skill barely improves their damage and quadruples their ammo usage, and even their back-row damage falls behind thieves in the end.
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#10AkanubonOrihPosted 1/16/2013 6:29:28 AM(edited)
terran3999999 posted...
You're either a hypocrite or a fanboy.

You go on and on about trying the Geomancer yet you didn't even bother with the Knight, or don't know any information about it. The Knight gets access to some of the most powerful weapons outside of the Onion Blade and Sword. In terms of rising potential and endgame worthiness, any good melee Job will trump the crap out of a Geomancer.

Whoa, that's some unnecessary hostility there. I merely spoke from what I had played. The Geomancer seemed to get nothing but hate in this topic when I had found it extremely helpful in the mid-game. I asked why while giving my reasons for why I thought it was good. I wasn't speaking about endgame potential or anything like that because, as you see in my post, I had just gotten to the last crystal (where I admitted that I switched off of Geomancer). I've also never played this game past the first crystal back when it came out... so I really knew nothing about endgame.

I tried out Knight and probably only got mine to about level 15 before I got to the next crystal and decided it wasn't doing it for me. I switched over to Dark Knight after that and found it to be much better off the bat, so I never looked back. That's great that it's one of the best end-game jobs, but I did just fine without one against the final boss... although I did grind my characters to level 60 and the four jobs I wanted to use (Black Belt, Summoner, Ninja, & Devout) to 99 each. I also have no interest in continuing to grind out the remaining levels to take on the Iron Giant, so if Knight is good/required for that, it doesn't really affect me.
---
Like the "100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3" fan page on Facebook! (http://tinyurl.com/3gj2r6g)