~Read Before Posting~ Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core FAQ

#1Darksun45230Posted 3/11/2008 12:42:32 AM
Forenote: This is a compilation of information suggested by posters. If you see somewhere I havenít go to; help me by posting tips, tricks, and resources relevant to the game. Know that youíre contribution will be added (along with your name credited.)

If you feel this FAQ meets to your standards as Sticky material, then click Message Detail and scroll down to Request Sticky Topic.
Please don't post until after I have finished.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
PSP

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[1] Information
[1.1] When will the game be released?
[1.2] I heard that this game is a prequel!
[1.3] Will this game ever be ported?
[1.4] How long is this game?
[1.5] When does this game take place?
[1.6] Will I see most of my favorite characters from Final Fantasy VII?
[1.7] Do I need to play Final Fantasy VII to understand the storyline?
[1.8] How do I get the Limited Edition 10th Anniversary PSP?
[1.9] Is there going to be dual audio?
[1.10] Can I go online/change the controls with this game?

[2] Comparing Crisis Core & Final Fantasy VII
[2.1] Is it true that this game doesnít have weapons/armor?
[2.2] How many characters do I get to control?
[2.3] Is this Turn based like Final Fantasy VII?
[2.4] What can I expect from Action-based combat?
[2.5] Whatís Materia Fusion?
[2.6] What kind of Command Materia will I see/wonít see?
[2.7] What kind of Magic Materia will I see/wonít see?
[2.8] What kind of Summon DMW Limits will we see/wonít see?
[2.9] What kind of Support Materia will we see/wonít see?
[2.10] What kind of Independent Materia will we see/wonít see?

[3] Gameplay
[3.1] Is the leveling system different?
[3.2] What is the battle system like?
[3.3] Whatís Materia?
[3.4] Okay, HP and MP I get, but whatís AP do?
[3.5] What are accessories?
[3.6] What are shops?
[3.7] What is the D.M.W Reel?
[3.8] Do I get to play side-quests?
[3.9] Are there any miss-able things?
[3.10] I heard this game was easy, what gives?
[3.11] Iím new to Final Fantasy VII, what are Limit Breaks?
[3.12] Iím not new to Final Fantasy VII, how do I summon!?
[3.13] I got creamed by this boss, I you said the game was easy!
[3.14] Huh? Wait a sec! How come my max HP/MP/AP all increased?
[3.15] Can I get past the 9999/999/999 HP/MP/AP limit?
[3.16] Whatís the best accessory?
[3.17] Are their still random battles?
[3.18] Is there a way to avoid battles?
[3.19] Whatís New Game +?

[4] In-depth Gaming
[4.1] Where exactly do I get Genji Equipment?
[4.2] Other then the Genji Equipment, what are some good accessories?
[4.3] Where do I get summons?
[4.4] How do I power level Materia?

[5] The Side-Quests
[5.1] Missile Mini-game
[5.2] Green Light Extinguisher
[5.3] Wutai Spies
[5.4] The Seven Mysteries

Resources
Credits

Version History:
1.0 - 2/26/2008 First draft.
1.5 - 2/28/2008 Pre-release.
2.0 - 3/10/2008 New format. Added Comparison, In-depth, and Side quests sections.
#2Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:43:12 AM
[1] Information

[1.1] When will the game be released?
March 25, 2008

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/data/925138.html

[1.2] I heard that this game is a prequel!
Yes, Crisis Core is a well done prequel in fact.

[1.3] Will this game ever be ported?
Donít hold your breath. The best weíll see is Crisis Core International.

[1.4] How long is this game?
When playing the story, it can be at the least fifteen hours long. However, if you plan on doing the missions, and I suggest you do, it can add up to sixty hours of extra gameplay.

[1.5] When does this game take place?
Seven years before the events of Final Fantasy VII.

[1.6] Will I see most of favorite characters from Final Fantasy VII?
Without revealing anything, yes, there are many characters from the original Final Fantasy VII that are present here.

[1.7] Do I need to play Final Fantasy VII to understand the storyline?
Thatís difficult to say. Since this game is prequel I would hope not. If youíre not sure try getting the game on EBay, or searching through YouTube for videos. Final Fantasy VII is a great game despite the outdated graphics.

[1.8] How do I get the Limited Edition 10th Anniversary PSP?
At a time there were 77,777 PSPís made with the Final Fantasy 10th anniversary logo it. Unfortunately for us, theyíve all been bought and sold out. Anyone who didnít get one is out of luck. Try looking for it on EBay.

[1.9] Is there going to be dual audio?
Unfortunately for us, the voice actors (some of them) in the US version are pitiful compared to ones in the Japanese Crisis Core. Since then many wanted dual audio, Japanese voices with English Subtitles, included in the US release.

Itís unlikely that weíll see dual audio.

[1.10] Can I go online/change the controls with this game?
No to both. No, infrastructure mode nor ad-hoc mode are available in Crisis Core.
#3Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:44:58 AM
[2] Comparing Crisis Core & Final Fantasy VII

[2.1] Is it true that this game doesnít have weapons/armor?
Itís true. However you get to use multiple accessories that act like armor. Though you start only two open slots, you can equip a total of four after completing a few missions.

[2.2] How many characters do I get to control?
One. Zack Fair.

[2.3] Is this Turn based like Final Fantasy VII?
No, they traded turn base combat for a more action oriented system.

[2.4] What can I expect from Action-based combat?
Though the changes seem small they really make a difference.

+Small areas such as catwalks and enclosed caverns make it harder to dodge and easier for the enemy to hit.
+Battle acts immediate rather then picking and choosing. A good example would be a mix between Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy XII.
+Enemies will no longer wait for you to attack.
+Magicís changed to something similar to that of Kingdom Hearts. Where you cast a spell like Firaga and it acts like a fireball. Blizzard acts like an iceberg that appears overhead; your opponent needs to stand still for it to connect. Things like this determine the flow of battle.
+There is as much Command Materia as there is Magic Materia, Commandís drain a new stat called AP.
+Itís possible to extend HP/MP/AP through DMW (more on that later...)
+Large battlefield means a lot more enemies at once.
+Blocking and Dodging becomes the only way to avoid enemy attacks.

[2.5] Whatís Materia Fusion?
Using the special points, SP, one can fuse two Materia together and make a whole new one. You can also fuse items after a certain point in the game (getting the item that allows item fusion.) Some Materia is easier to get through fusion.

[2.6] What kind of Command Materia will I see/won't see?
Before I go on to explain the Commands in Final Fantasy VII know since the battlefield has changed since the conversion to Action-based combat. You may scratch your head at some of the things I'm about to list but when you play, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Will see:
+Spin Attack (Plus)
+Jump (Plus)
+Status Attacks (Separated by Jump, Spin Attack, and regular attack forms)
+Elemental Swords
+Critical Slash (works like Deathblow except all the time)
+Exploding Sword (attacks with explosion)
+Blow Away (works like Remove or Whirlwind)
+Punch/Darkness (Attacks that ignore defense)
+Steal
+Mug

Spin Attack and Jump are the first basic Commands you'll receive. Spin Attack does what it says; Zack will spin around for a few moments dealing nearby damage to all enemies. While Jump, you ascend in mid-air unable to be seen by camera. Then after a minute you crash down dealing a far greater area of damage. The difference between these two is the timing, where Spin Attack acts immediately but Jump waits a few seconds. This could be hazardous because Jump gives the enemy time to move away (if it were that smart...) or change its position.

The elemental swords work like Magic. Starting as Fire Sword and Blizzard Sword they evolve into Firaga Sword and Blizzaga Sword. They act like element based weaponry giving you a wide range of weaknesses to exploit from the enemy.

Won't see:
-Slash-All
-4x-Cut
-Mime
-Enemy Skill
-W-Anything (Magic, Items, ect.)
-Sense (it's become Support Materia Libra)
-Throw (It's just Gil Toss now)
-Morph
-Manipulate
#4Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:46:14 AM
[2.7] What kind of Magic Materia will we see/won't see?
Will see:
+Fire (Fira/Firaga)
+Dark Fire (Fira/Firaga) (Fire + Status ailments)
+Triple Firaga (Three Fireballs)
+Blizzard (Blizzara/Blizzaga) (renamed Ice)
+Dark Blizzard (Blizzara/Blizzaga) (Blizzard + Status ailments)
+Thunder (Thundara/Thundaga)
+Dark Thunder (Thundara/Thundaga) (Thunder + Status ailments)
+Triple Thundaga
+Drain (HP Absorb)
+Aspir (MP Absorb)
+Gravity (renamed Demi)
+Quake/Electric Shock (renamed Quake3)
+Flare (Surround enemies Magic)
+Energy (Single enemy Magic)
+Ultima
+Dispel
+Poison
+Silence
+Stop
+Death
+Regen
+Barrier/Wall
+Esuna
+Cure (Cura/Curaga)
+Full Cure

Won't See:
-Poisona
-Resist
-Life/Life2 (renamed Full-Life)
-Quake 2 (skipped)
-Bio
-Sleepel
-Confu
-Beserk
-Mini
-Toad
-Haste/Slow
-Reflect
-DeBarrier
-Escape/Remove
-Comet/Comet2 (closet thing is Comet Limit Break)
-Freeze/Break/Tornado
-Shield

Some Magic is not compatible with the Materia 'Double Magic' in Crisis Core.

[2.8] What kind of Summon DMW Limits will we see/won't see?
Will See:
Note: Summon monsters are no longer Materia. They must be accessed through DMW like Limit Breaks. All summon attacks ignore Spirit.

+Ifrit (Fire Damage)
+Bahamut (Non-elemental)
+Odin (Zantetsuken)
+Phoenix (ReRaise on Zack, Non-elemental damage against all enemies)

Note: Chocobo Mode attacks ignore Vitality.

+Chocobo (Psychical)
+Cactuar (Fixed damage)
+Tonberry (Psychical)
+Cait Sith (Cures status ailments, gives Endurance, Barrier, Magic Barrier, 0 AP/MP consumption, Magic/Psychical Guard)
+Moogle (Regen)
+Magic Pot (Special)

Won't See:
-Shiva
-Ramuh
-Titan
-Leviathan
-Kjata
-Alexander
-Hades
-Typhoon
-Knights of Round
#5Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:47:00 AM
[2.9] What kind of Support Materia will we see/won't see?
Will See:
Note: There will be a short summary after each listing.
+Libra: Shows targets HP/MP and status ailments. (former Sense)
+Status Attack: Equip with either Command or Magic Status Materia to apply.
+Status Defend: Equip with either Command or Magic Status Materia to apply.
+Attribute Attack: Equip with either Command or Magic Status or Elemental Materia to apply.
+Attribute Defend: Equip with either Command or Magic Status or Elemental Materia to apply.
+Sp Turbo Magic: Spends SP to deal more Magic damage.
+SP Turbo Attack: Spends SP to deal more Attack damage.
+SP Turbo: Spends SP to more damage with both magical and psychical attacks.
+SP Barrier: Spends SP to reduce damage done by enemies.
+SP Master: Spends SP to increase damage with psychical and magical attacks, and reduce damage.

Won't See:
-All
-Counter
-Magic Counter
-MP Turbo
-HP Absorb
-MP Absorb
-Quadra Magic
-Sneak Attack
-Final Attack
-Added Cut
-Steal As Well

[2.10] What kind of Independent Materia will we see/won't see?
Will see:
Note: Independent Materia will have a short summary after each listing.
+HP Up (plus/plus two): Increases HP percentage.
+MP Up (plus/plus two): Increases MP percentage.
+AP Up (plus/plus two): Increases AP percentage.
+Strength Up (plus/plus two): Increases Strength stat.
+Vitality Up (plus/plus two): Increases Vitality stat.
+Magic Up (plus/plus two): Increases Magic stat.
+Spirit Up (plus/plus two): Increases Spirit stat.
+Dash: Replaces Block with Dash.
+Double Magic: Double Casts all magic except for Flare and Ultima.
+Item Master: Enhances Restore effects.
+Limit Materia: Specific Materia makes DMW Limit appear more often.
+Summon Materia: Specific Materia makes DMW Summon appear more often.
+Chocobo Materia: Specific Materia makes DMW Chocobo appear more often.

Won't See:
-Speed Plus
-Luck Plus
-EXP Plus
-Gil Plus
-Enemy Away
-Enemy Lure
-Chocobo Lure
-Pre-emptive
-Long Range
-Mega-All
-Counter Attack
-Cover
-Underwater
-HP<->MP
#6Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:48:27 AM
[3] Gameplay

[3.1] Is the leveling system different?
You level through the DMW system. While there is no visible experience count, many speculate a hidden counter that tallyís up kills/hits/hidden experience points. As for Materia it may rely on having them equipped to armor.

[3.2] What is the battle system like?
Itís different from what you remember in the PSX Final Fantasy VII. Instead of turn based combat it has evolved into action based combat. Try to imagine a battle system like Kingdom Hearts with the Materia system in Final Fantasy VII!

[3.3] Whatís Materia?
Materia is the base for all abilities in-game. They are stones which are attached to slots in your armor; you are limited to a small amount at first but given time you get more slots. Itís cool.

Materia is separated into sub-categories:
Magic Materia allows us to use Fire, Blizzard and Thunder, Materia. Magic takes away from the MP gauge when used.

Command Materia allows us to use abilities or special attacks such as Spin Attack, Jump, and Critical Slash. Using Commands take away from the AP gauge when used.

Independent Materia gives us extra stats, such as 10% HP/MP/AP, or added points to our Strength, Vitality, Magic, and Spirit stats. Independent Materia is passive, so you donít need to activate it during battle.

Support Materia lets us use passive abilities during battle. Letting use see the enemies health, defend or attack with/against status ailments, and even use a special point (SP) to turbo boost your abilities.

[3.4] Okay, HP and MP I get, but whatís AP do?
AP is the gauge that acts like MP when using Commands. Commands come from Command Materia which enables you to attack physically, rather then using Magic. This is done because of the large variety of Command Materia newly available.

[3.5] What are accessories?
Accessories are what you wear, like armor that gives you certain stats and beneficial abilities. Not all accessories are meant to good though. Like many who search for a challenge, one might be tempted by Curse Rings.

[3.6] What are shops?
Unlike the previous Final Fantasyís, Shops are assessable at anytime by selecting Shops on the main menu. But like most things, there is a catch.

You must complete missions in order unlock shops. Shops carry many things, including summons, Materia, accessories, healing items, and more. You can shop anytime the main menu is available.

[3.7] What is the D.M.W Reel?
Itís difficult to explain. The D.M.W Reel is both Zackís Limit Break indicator and his leveler. Rather then letting me explain here are a few links that can do a better job then I ever could. I say this because the D.M.W reels are meant to be seen not explained.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_Core:_Final_Fantasy_VII
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtks1Ryld4

[3.8] Do I get to play side-quests? What about a side-quest boss?
The side-quests in this game are made of missions you can do on the side. Most side-quests, you are traveling around in familiar terrain defeating enemies. Some involve defeating old bosses and obtaining Summons, like, for instance, Ifrit.

Minerva, the strongest boss fight, is the final mission only doable by beating all other missions. Make sure you talk to everyone as you progress or else you will some key missions.

[3.9] Are there any miss-able things?
Yes in fact. Such things that can easily be missed like Phoenix Materia (without it you canít complete the DMW ergo no Genji Armor,) Side-quests such as Wutai Spies. Hopefully this FAQ has covered all those things. Refer to Side-quests for more information.

Respectively though, double-check because I may have overlooked something without realizing it. Please, if you do find something, post it so others I can change the sticky so that everyone else can benefit.
#7Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:49:52 AM
[3.10] I heard this game was easy, what gives?
Sadly, the game is easier then Final Fantasy VII in several ways. Players new to the action games will find it a challenge though.

If youíre anxious to see some difficulty, try the Curse Ring at the start of your game. To do this, at the beginning of your game check your locker exactly twenty times until you receive it. Equipping the Curse Ring will increase your stats by ten points and increase your HP/MP/AP by 10%. The Curse Ring will stop your D.M.W Reel which in turn stops you from leveling.

Itís confirmed that the EUR release will include "additional gameplay challenges not included in the original Japanese version." As for the US version, we can only pray that they didnít forget about us.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184754.html?sid=6184754&part=rss&subj=6184754

[3.11] Iím new to Final Fantasy VII, what are Limit Breaks?
Limit Breaks are special commands that can only be activated after getting hit a lot. Or at least those were the rules in FFVII. In Crisis Core, Limit Breaks are faces on the D.M.W, and when all faces match a Limit Break is activated. For each face, there is a Limit Break.

[3.12] Iím not new to Final Fantasy VII, how do I summon!?
Unlike Final Fantasy VII where you only had to consume a vast amount of MP to summon, in Crisis Core you must first defeat the summon monster in a battle found only in missions.

When youíve defeated the summon monster. You can then get the summon monster activated sometimes during D.M.W reel. There is no way to activate them on whim like in Final Fantasy VII.

There is Materia that makes summon monsters/limit breaks/Chocobo mode happen more often. Theyíre available in shops.

[3.13] I got creamed by this boss, I thought you said the game was easy!
This is Battle 101 here. Tips for battle include finding a way behind the enemy. If you can find a way behind them, every blow will become a critical hit. Try it as often as you can. But watch out, as certain enemies have counter-attacks for behind attacks.

Itís kosher to dodge a coming blow or block it. By blocking a blow youíll receive less damage, by dodging you can avoid it altogether but it needs to be timed.

When in doubt use Cure, when thereís time, use items. When in a fight itís often better to use magic like Cure to heal yourself rather then scrolling for items. It leaves you open to attacks from the enemy.

When in serious doubt try leveling up before a boss fight. Try to memorize its attacks before making the first blow. Each boss has their own Ďtellsí to what theyíll be doing next. Always be on the lookout.

[3.14] Huh? Wait a sec! How come my max HP/MP/AP all increased?
When you get a limit break your HP/MP/AP are all increased by a certain amount according to the benefits. To get a better understanding of this Iíll show an example.

Suppose you have 540/540 HP. And you happen to go into battle, now suppose you get a Limit Break and before that that attack is activated your HP/MP/AP (depending on the bonus you get) increases past itís maximum. The only thing you have to know is that the extra points disappear after you use them. Theyíre not permanent. In other words the increases to HP/MP/AP are little extras.

[3.15] Can I get past the 9999/999/999 HP/MP/AP limit?
In fact, there are many accessories that do just that. These items include; Gold Hairpin, Adaman Bangle, and Black Hood.
#8Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:50:20 AM
[3.16] Whatís the best accessory?
The Soul of Heike, while giving you the ability to surpass 9999/999/999 HP/MP/AP it also has a wide variety of extra abilities. The only downside is you are cursed when you wear it. Hereís the bad news, itís only obtainable when youíve completed all missions.

Now about the Genji accessories, though they are difficult to obtain (complete D.M.W entries, obtain from missions, ect.) they are often worth the investment. Take a look at In-depth Gaming for more info.

[3.17] Are their still random battles?
Yes. Since youíll be walking in and around a set field enemies pop up out of nowhere. There is however, a trick, to avoiding them.

[3.18] Is there a way to avoid battles?
You bet. It should only be used sparingly, if at all, when youíre low on HP/MP/AP or maybe you just donít want to fight. Moving along, you simply Ďhugí the walls.

When I say Ďhugí I mean you walk along the side of the walls. These small, tight corners donít yield enemy encounters, and if they do itís not very often. If you practice this, youíll reduce your encounter rate to almost none.

[3.19] Whatís New Game +?
To be frank, itís a New Game with all current data brought over. You keep a lot of things from your last play-through. To be honest, thereís no challenge.
#9Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:51:20 AM
[4] In-depth Gaming

[4.1] Where exactly do I get the Genji equipment?

Genji Helmet: Libra/Zero MP & AP cost: Buy it for 1,000,000 Gil Net Shop Darkness after unlocking it in mission 9-5-4.

Genji Armor: HP Limit becomes 99999/Auto-Regen/Auto-Endurance: Achieve 100% DMW Limit. If you miss the Phoenix summon you cannot get it.

Genji Shield: Auto-Barrier/Auto-Magic Barrier/Absorbs every element/Immune to status ailments: Must acquire it from Magic Pot in mission 7-6-6. When it asks use Gil Toss, Sacrifice Punch, 99999 Damage, and Yatou Issen (Sephiroth) limit break.

From what Iíve heard. Doing this is extremely difficult and takes many times to try. Magic Punch has been suggested to get 99999 Damage. Equip the Materia called Yatou Issen to increase the likelihood of the limit break.

Genji Glove: 99999 Damage Limit/Always Critical Hits: Finish 9-6-4

[4.2] Other then the Genji equipment, what are some good accessories?
Safety Bit
Effect: Protects from instant death.
Where: Buy at Nibelheim Shop which is gotten from a treasure chest in 6-4-4, or from 10-1-3.

Supper Ribbon
Effect: Protects against all ailments even instant death.
Where: Steal from Great Malboro in 9-6-2.

Adaman Bangle
Effect: 99999 HP Limit.
Where: Finish 7-3-6 or find it in a treasure chest in 9-2-4.

Gold Hairpin
Effect: 9999 MP Limit.
Where: In a treasure chest in 9-2-5.

Black Hood
Effect: 9999 AP Limit.
Where: In a treasure chest in 9-3-3.

Invincible
Effect: 99999 Damage Limit.
Where: Finish 7-4-6.

[4.3] Where do I find the summons?
Ifrit
When: The beginning of Chapter 3
Where: Finish 8-1-1.

Bahamut
When: The beginning of Chapter 4
Where: Finish 8-1-4.

Bahamut Fury (Retsu)
When: At the beginning of Chapter 4, start from Mission 8-4-1 after getting a mail from a Beautiful Treasure Hunter in the 5th Sector.
Where: During mission 8-5-6, open a chest that looks different from the others to fight Bahamut.

Odin
When: At the beginning of Chapter 4, start at 8-1-3.
Where: Finish 8-1-6

Phoenix
When: At the beginning of Chapter 9.
Where: Talk to a boy, heíll play a game with you. Check the water tower in the town. You must get this to complete the DMW reel or else forfeit getting Genji Armor.

Chocobo
When: At the beginning of Chapter 4, after getting a mail from a Beautiful Treasure Hunter in the 5th Sector.
Where: Get from a random treasure chest in 8-4-1.

Tonberry
When: At the beginning of Chapter 3, start at 6-1-1 and make your way to 6-1-5.
Where: Defeat the Tonberry in 6-1-5, and then make your way from 10-2-1 to 10-2-3.

Cactuar
When: At the beginning of Chapter 4.
Where: Defeat the Cactuar (behind the area boss) in 3-1-3, then make your way from 10-2-1 to 10-2-3.

Cait Sith
Where: 8-4-3, open the treasure chest next to a rock.

Moogle
Where: Chest behind the starting point during mission 8-4-4.

Magic Pot
Where: In mission 10-2-3, march forward and you should encounter a Magic Pot. You will need to kill it using these moves when he asks for it; Jump, Fira, Gravity, Spin Attack.

When you summon the Magic Pot, itíll ask for an attack (Jump, Jump and Fira Fira, Spin attack, Spin attack, ect.) and you are rewarded with an item depending on the level you summoned it at.
#10Darksun45230(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2008 12:51:53 AM
[4.4] How do I power level Materia?
Note: Thanks to Grdot for the following information.

First you must have:
Moogle charm (Sold at Sector 7 Shop.)
Unlock 10-3-2 mission.
Darkness Materia to help you finish the mission.
Prepare:
2 Fire Materia LV1 (buyable)
====================
Basic Materia for Fusion:
Slot-1 (Materia)= Fire LV1
Slot-2 (Materia)= Fire LV1
Slot-3 (Item)= +95 (green) Magic booster item.
It will change Fire LV1 +20 magic/+19 magic, don't bother it.

Use the same method to earn 99 Magic Booster item then fuse:
Slot-1 (Materia) = Fire LV1
Slot-2 (Materia) = Fire LV1
Slot-3 (Item) = +95 (green) Magic Booster item. It'll become Fire LV1 +20 magic/ 19 magic, don't bother it.

Use the same method to earn 99 Magic Booster item then fuse:
Slot-1 (Materia) = Fire LV1 +20
Slot-2 (Materia) = Fire LV1 +20
Slot-3 (Item) = +95 (green) Magic Booster item.
It'll become Fire LV1 +40 magic (this is the highest.)
====================
Then, back to basic Materia method until you get Fire LV1 +40. Stock it as many as you can.
After this:
For example, you want to get Curaga +999%HP.
Curaga [master] + Fire LV1 + 40 = Curaga with +20.
Combine it until you get Curaga +100 magic.
====================
Then,
If you want to make 999%HP on Curaga:
Slot-1 (Materia)= Curaga +100 magic
Slot-2 (Materia)= Fire LV1
Slot-3 (Item)= Fat Chocobo Feather
It'll become Curaga +999Hp

Not all Materia can be fuse with this method, but "mostly" it can be done. For me, this is the cheapest for adding Materia status. Try to use some item when you combine it to get maximum status faster.

Good Luck.

Preview:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6020/genjiof4.jpg