Best harvest moon game?

#1trademan5656Posted 7/6/2011 4:14:00 PM
So i just picked up a nintendo 3ds, and since the 3ds inventory is lacking at the moment, i'd figure i'd try out a franchise i've always wanted to get into. So after looking around i've found that there are about 20 harvest moon games for the 3ds, and i am kind of lost as to which i should get. The rune factory series look amazing, but some of the reviews say that the farming mechanics kind of lack compared to the non rune factory series.

So right now i'm leaning towards rune factory 3, just because i have no idea about any of the other games. Which one has the best story / farming mechanics, and would be the most fun?
---
If you "could care less" then you actually care a little bit about something.
If you "couldn't care less" then you don't actually care.
#2DemaciaRookiePosted 7/6/2011 4:25:04 PM
Harvest Moon for the original and Rune Factory for a slightly different experience.

Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands and Rune Factory 3 are considered better and I recommend myself because I own them.

Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns is coming out later so you could wait for that. Hell, I know I am.
#3trademan5656(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 4:39:20 PM
Wow, i realized i said i was looking to buy for the 3ds. I'm looking for a DS version of harvest moon XD

But i should go with the original first before sunshine islands if i'm not looking for a rune factory experience?
---
If you "could care less" then you actually care a little bit about something.
If you "couldn't care less" then you don't actually care.
#4Northern_RosePosted 7/6/2011 4:55:31 PM
Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands and Rune Factory 3 are definitly the best.

Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands, is stronger with the farming aspect of the game and has a nice social aspect with the towns people as well. LOTS to do for an HM game.

Rune Factory 3, is a bit weaker in the farming aspect only, but not without reason. RF has dungeon crawling (ARPG style) added to the HM format. It is the perfect balance between farming, dungeon crawling and the social part of things with the town as well. It has some great NPCs that you really get to know.

Both are great games IMO.

HM:SI for a farming/social SIM
RF3 for a farming/social SIM with a side of ARPG

Honestly I prefer RF more just because it has that added distraction from the plant/water/talk format of HM.

Get Rune Factory 3 and if you find you enjoy the farming part of it, get Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands (or tale of two towns review pending) latter.
---
I am what I am and what I am, is me.
#5DemaciaRookiePosted 7/6/2011 5:11:49 PM
trademan5656 posted...
Wow, i realized i said i was looking to buy for the 3ds. I'm looking for a DS version of harvest moon XD

But i should go with the original first before sunshine islands if i'm not looking for a rune factory experience?

Sunshine Islands is for the DS. So is Rune Factory.

And by original I meant the classic farming aspect that Harvest Moon is famous for. Rune Factory takes that and adds dugeon crawling. Take Northern's insight of this and take your pick.
#6tigerlover0085Posted 7/6/2011 6:43:06 PM
Go for Harvest Moon DS. It's very classic like and very fun. I also feel it has the best characters.
---
playing: ds- HM Grand Bazaar..ps2- LOTR Third Age
#7OmegaGkidPosted 7/8/2011 11:49:37 AM
I would suggest rune factory 3 since its a lot of fun to play and you don't feel any of the monotony that you sometimes end up feeling with harvest moon games.
---
Waiting patiently for the KH3
#8Northern_RosePosted 7/8/2011 1:03:03 PM(edited)
I was looking at what I said before and perhaps "weaker" was not the right way to describe it.

The farming aspect of RF3 is not as "complex" as the HM games. Its still has pretty much the same core but Its more forgiving. There is a few hidden stats that contribute to things that are in HM games that RF3 doesn't really have. RF3 gives you a little bit more freedom, you can neglect your farm for a day and just go fishing if you want, or spend a day or 2 in a dungeon and for the most part your farm will still be ok. Basically you don't have to watch it as close as you do in HM, but you still need to watch it. This is kinda offset by the numerous hurricanes in the summer.

In all honesty I kinda hope future HM games take this approach to farming. Its kinda nice not feeling so tied to your farm. It just gives you more freedom to enjoy some of the other aspects of the game/s. I mean who doesn't like a day off to go fishing right.

HM games follow the same sort of flow. 2/3 strict farming repetition (almost in a time management sense), 1/3 socializing with the town.

RF3 (1&2 not so much) really opened that up. Its more like 1/4 farming, 1/4 dungeon crawling, 1/4 socializing with the town and 1/4 for you to really invest in what aspects of the game you enjoy most without adversely affecting the rest.
---
I am what I am and what I am, is me.