under-rated titles for the DS

#1OmunallPosted 7/11/2011 5:31:13 AM
I'm not really talking about cult titles or gems to say, i'm talking about those games that are just worth having.

I just had the terrible experience of trying out Dynasty Warriors: Fighters Battles for the system and felt it was unusual and bland, though I attempted to play it for awhile and could no longer do it...same goes for Guilty Gear Dust Strikers.

So what i'm looking for is some titles to have that would seem bad, but were actually decent or good. I enjoyed Monster Racers, Monsters Lab, etc...but i'd like to hear some suggestions.
#2Number43Posted 7/11/2011 5:57:33 AM
As for games that I've enjoyed but that I was skeptical of upon reading a brief description of or looking at the box, I could name 3 titles:

Monster Tale
Retro Game Challenge
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
#3Omunall(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 6:24:08 AM
any others? I'm not concerned about demographic (ben 10, avatar, etc...never played these)
#4FeiBenaresPosted 7/11/2011 7:49:10 AM
The Dark Spire, it was total unknown game. It sold for $10 new from Gamestop. I checked its back. It remained that I played old games like Ultima, Wizardry, and the Bard's Tale. I played it for short time. It was really hard. I will play it later.
---
The Battle Dragon And New York City Pokemon Master
Currently playing: Tales of Phantasia (GBA), Animal Crossing (DS)
#5lambchipsPosted 7/11/2011 7:53:06 AM
wizard of oz beyond the yellow brick road
inazuma eleven
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#6mica_x9Posted 7/11/2011 9:30:07 AM
Mega Man Star Force 3.
Mega Man Zero Collection
Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light
Rune Factory 3
Digimon World Dusk/Dawn
#7ItemBreakPosted 7/11/2011 9:50:22 AM
I wouldn't call anything on that list underrated, mica_x9.

Anyways, Meteos is a must-have that people seem to have forgotten. It's definitely not your typical puzzle game.
#8obishawnPosted 7/11/2011 9:59:20 AM
Fighting Fantasy The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

It plays like an Elder Scrolls game, and almost exactly like the N64 game Hexen. And if you are unfamiliar with those...

Its a first person, action RPG. It controls much like the FPSs on the DS with a little variety. You get to completely customize your character other than the gender. There are a lot of quests, loot, optional paths and battle variety, based on the type of character you are developing with many weapon types to choose from or powerful spells, if magic is your thing.

I don't know if the game is underrated ad much as it is overlooked. One of my personal favorites on the system.
---
http://www.metroidmetal.com - Metroid music remixed to metal
http://www.backloggery.com/obishawn - See my sidebar for more free VG music
#9Northern_RosePosted 7/11/2011 10:16:13 AM
Here's a few games that you wouldnt think would be all that good, or that the case/screen shots often make them look like more shovelware, have really bad box art or lame sounding titles. But I found most of em to be kinda cool and really enjoyed others.

A Witch's Tale (it looks really kiddie and in a lot of ways it is but its also a really fun RPG)

Away: Shuffle Dungeon (is actually a pretty neat ARPG)

Clubhouse Games (one of the best, card game, board game, table top games out there, great multiplayer, BORING box)

Contact (look at the box and think ya right, but there is a really cool RPG in there)

Daniel X: The Ultimate Power (the box was the reason I wated so long to buy this game despite the fact it was recommended numerous times. Its a great Metroidvania)

Dawn of Heroes (box art is sorta meh but the release date was changed soooo many times that when it finally came out no one cared, its a funny SRPG that can be kinda hard at times)

Deep Labyrinth (is better than it looks, a first person dungeon crawl)

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (I really dont care about DBZ but this is actually a good RPG)

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (it looks super kiddie, it is kiddie but man is it a fun
action/adventure (Zelda style) game.

Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (game is deffinitly a lot harder than it looks)

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (it looks like another generic first person dungeon crawl but its actually the closest thing the DS has to any of the TES games and is the best first person dungeon crawl on the DS that isent SMT:SJ)

Freedom Wings (looks like a generic flight SIM but its actually a flight SIM with bad controles and an RPG at the same time)

From the Abyss (ok so this just looks bad and really isent much better)

Glory of Heracles (a great little RPG for after you have played all the big name RPGs)

Magical Starsign (RPG that is more fun than it looks)

Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (Anaminal Crossing Clone that I honestly think is better than AC)

Monster Racers (really fun Pokemon clone with a twist)

MySims Agents (this actualy makes you think (if not using a guide) a MySims twist on the puzzle solving genre)

Orcs & Elves (cell phone port that is honestly very short but also very fun for RPG fans)

Pimp My Ride: Street Racing (arcade style racer that reminds me of San Francisco Rush)

Scurge: Hive (the box is boring the screen shots suck but this is a damn cool Metroid clone thats done in a top down view instead of side scrolling, great game)

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (box, screen shots and even traveling on the world map in game look like crap but it has a great battle system and the charactors never take things to seriously (riddled with boob jokes))

Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff (it looks like an old NES game, plays like an old NES game but its cheep and its actually a pertty good football game)

The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (an RPG based on the Wizzard of Oz are you kidding me. but its actually pretty decent and it looks great visually)
---
I am what I am and what I am, is me.
#10MottmanPosted 7/11/2011 10:32:20 AM
Underrated favorites of mine:

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (agree with Northern Rose, it's very fun, tank battles are quite interesting)

Geometry Wars: Galaxies (sure the graphics aren't as good as the console GW games, but this is a great retro-style space shooter regardless)

Meteos (the original, not the Disney version; hands-down my favorite falling-block style puzzle game)
---
"The new game with Kirby is all about whipping and bondage. It doesn't get more hardcore."
^ PedroMontana on Kirby's Epic Yarn