Looking to play a game that's out of my DS comfort zone....so to speak.

#1BatenKait0sPosted 3/15/2012 11:31:29 AM
I own and have played the heck out of 95% of the RPGs on the DS as well as most big name platformers (Mario, Kirby, Monster Tale, etc.)

I'm looking to play something that's a game I've probably overlooked before many a time. I was looking at Dawn of Discovery in my backlog and have read pretty great things about this 'SimCity'-esque game. I was possibly going to try that next, or go out to the store and pick up something that strays from the norm for me with this handheld. Mainly just to pass the time until Kid Icarus: Uprising comes out in 8 days but also maybe to procure some new interests in other DS genres.
---
Currently playing: Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360), Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)
#2TerotrousPosted 3/15/2012 11:37:02 AM
Dawn of Discovery is good but if you also own a Wii the Wii version is better.

If you want to play a game from a different genre the DS has lots of puzzle games. Probably the most prominent ones in the US are Meteos, Professor Layton, and the Phoenix Wright series, but there's loads of others.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Megaman X"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3BatenKait0s(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 11:40:57 AM
Terotrous posted...
Dawn of Discovery is good but if you also own a Wii the Wii version is better.

If you want to play a game from a different genre the DS has lots of puzzle games. Probably the most prominent ones in the US are Meteos, Professor Layton, and the Phoenix Wright series, but there's loads of others.

Phoenix Wright and Layton are definitely must plays in my book, but they're a little too pricey and somewhat rare for this particular endeavor lol. What is Meteos like?

Have you played Henry Hatsworth? I was kinda curious about that as well.
---
Currently playing: Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360), Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)
#4ghostblade003Posted 3/15/2012 12:44:30 PM
Meteos is, in a way, like Tetris, but perhaps a bit more frantic. It's a pretty good puzzle game.

Henry Hatsworth is also pretty good, especially if you like platformers.
---
PSN: DarkJustice77
Wii Code or DS Code: I have a few different ones I play online so it's easier to ask.
#5Northern_RosePosted 3/15/2012 7:19:19 PM
Here's some games that are just fun to mess around on and they make greak breaks between RPGs too.

Bionicle Heroes (the best Lego game and the best FPS on the DS)
Clubhouse Games
Freedom Wings
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
MySims Agents (1 part SIM 1 part mini games)
MySims Kingdoms (basic SIM)
MySims SkyHeroes (star fox like shooter)
River King: Mystic Valley
Scurge: Hive
Speed Racer
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff
Tokyo Beat Down
Transformers: Decepticons
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
---
It's not that I don't got a full 6 pack, I just lack the plastic thing that holds it all together.
#6PurpleskinrunPosted 3/16/2012 1:14:05 AM
Theresia strays far from the DS norm, haha! Get it if you enjoy horror games, its only like $17 brand new at EB Games/Gamestop.
#7BatenKait0s(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2012 5:48:48 AM
Northern_Rose posted...
Here's some games that are just fun to mess around on and they make greak breaks between RPGs too.

Bionicle Heroes (the best Lego game and the best FPS on the DS)
Clubhouse Games
Freedom Wings
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
MySims Agents (1 part SIM 1 part mini games)
MySims Kingdoms (basic SIM)
MySims SkyHeroes (star fox like shooter)
River King: Mystic Valley
Scurge: Hive
Speed Racer
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff
Tokyo Beat Down
Transformers: Decepticons
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2

You never disappoint, Rose. I think I'm definitely going to try a Trauma Center game and possibly MySims Kingdom.
---
#8TerotrousPosted 3/16/2012 8:21:51 AM
River King: Mystic Valley is a terrible game and should definitely be avoided. The fishing mechanic involves no skill whatsoever and unlike the other River King games it has no RPG aspects so there's nothing else to the game.

Anyway, here's a list of some other good DS games that aren't RPGs or Platformers:

Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Mario vs Donkey Kong 1 / 2
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Okamiden
Retro Game Challenge

As far as imports go, there's also Daigasso Band Bros and Puyo Puyo 15th / 20th Anniversary.
---
#9BatenKait0s(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2012 8:23:21 AM
Terotrous posted...
River King: Mystic Valley is a terrible game and should definitely be avoided. The fishing mechanic involves no skill whatsoever and unlike the other River King games it has no RPG aspects so there's nothing else to the game.

Anyway, here's a list of some other good DS games that aren't RPGs or Platformers:

Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Mario vs Donkey Kong 1 / 2
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Okamiden
Retro Game Challenge

As far as imports go, there's also Daigasso Band Bros and Puyo Puyo 15th / 20th Anniversary.

I've own quite a few on that list, but nonetheless, theyre some fantastic choices. What is the Mario vs. Donkey Kong game like? Is it a bunch of minigames, is there a story to it, is it a platformer?
---
#10TerotrousPosted 3/16/2012 9:14:09 AM
I've own quite a few on that list, but nonetheless, theyre some fantastic choices. What is the Mario vs. Donkey Kong game like? Is it a bunch of minigames, is there a story to it, is it a platformer?

It's actually a puzzle game similar to Lemmings. You use the touch screen to manipulate the environment and guide the mini-marios (who move automatically) to the goal. Every level has a special card that takes some work to get and a gold star / trophy that you can get if you get enough points.

It's a fairly fun game and unlike some games of this type it never gets ridiculously taxing.
---