DS Lite to WPA2/WEP?

#1unknownhombrePosted 4/20/2012 7:06:48 AM
I have a questions similar to this topic:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/925329-nintendo-ds/61999394

Is there a way that I can connect my DS to a WPA2 wifi connection? Or do I have to do what some users suggested, and just switch it back and forth from WPA2 to WEP whenever I want to use my DS?

I'm asking because it's not always possible to toggle between WPA2 and WEP, because of my roommates and them needing a more secure connection.

Some people seem to suggest the Nintendo USB dongle, but most people are saying it doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit, which is of course what I have.
---
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists."
www.digikline.com
#2Wheels2050Posted 4/20/2012 12:05:38 PM
No, the DS does not support anything other than WEP encryption unfortunately. It simply will not work with WPA/WPA2.

You can either switch your router to WEP temporarily, which is annoying and sounds like not really an option with your roommates, or set up a second connection.

There are a few options for doing this. Firstly, the Nintendo USB connector is supposedly simple to use (I haven't used one myself) although it doesn't support Win7 64-bit.

You could buy a second wireless router, set it up as an access point with WEP encryption and just turn it on when you need it. That can be expensive (although you might be able to track down a cheap router) and it doesn't solve the security problem if you are worried about that - while the router is on, there is wireless access to your network that only has WEP encryption. You could take steps to mitigate the problem, e.g. set up MAC address filtering.

Another option, if you can do it, would be to use a smartphone and set up wireless tethering to give you a WEP access point. Obviously that requires your phone and plan to support tethering, and I don't know how fast it would be (which may be important for fast-paced multiplayer games) but it should work.

Hope that helps! It's a bit of a pain, but there are a few options that might be suitable.
---
Pokemon White FC: 1420 7026 1980
#3FridgeBeardPosted 4/20/2012 1:36:53 PM

It simply will not work with WPA/WPA2.

My DSi and Pokemon Black and White say otherwise.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
The only thing people hate more than stagnancy is change.
#4Kitt ThrustPosted 4/20/2012 2:23:57 PM

DSi and DSi enhanced games are compatible with WPA but the topic title specifically states this is about DS Lite.
---
Go Go Big Underpants !
http://i.imgur.com/SuQlr.jpg -
#5Lostpwr3Posted 4/20/2012 2:25:10 PM
FridgeBeard posted...
It simply will not work with WPA/WPA2.

^That's b/c DSi (DSiXL/3DS) and Pokemon Black & White are compatible w/WPA whereas the original DS and DSL are not.
#6Wheels2050Posted 4/20/2012 2:38:19 PM
As the others have said above, the DSi and 3DS systems support WPA(2). However, they also require DSi Enhanced games to be able to connect to the newer encryption standards. I'm not sure if all DSi Enhanced games support WPA(2), but I assume that's the case.

Here's a little table:

DS + DS game: WEP only
DS + DSi Enhanced game: WEP only
DSi + DS game: WEP only
DSi + DSi Enhanced game: WEP/WPA/WPA2
---
Pokemon White FC: 1420 7026 1980
#7FridgeBeardPosted 4/20/2012 6:12:55 PM
Haha, my bad. Missed that obvious part of the title.

Sorry TC, if you only have a Lite you're kinda SOL and will just have to go with the switch method. I can't imagine you play online enough to make the process annoying, so it can't be that bad.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
The only thing people hate more than stagnancy is change.
#8unknownhombre(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2012 1:36:04 PM
FridgeBeard posted...
Haha, my bad. Missed that obvious part of the title.

Sorry TC, if you only have a Lite you're kinda SOL and will just have to go with the switch method. I can't imagine you play online enough to make the process annoying, so it can't be that bad.

I don't play online with my DS much anymore, but it would be nice to play Mario Kart every once in a while. Mostly I wanted to get back into Phantasy Star Zero. I miss the online. I used to play it a lot, then stopped, then I moved and got into my current situation.
---
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists."
www.digikline.com
#9UVDeltaPosted 4/22/2012 4:04:42 PM
I bought this, was cheap and worked better than the Nintendo Wifi USB (which I also used to have, but it broke), and I find I have way more control over the network. I plug it in whenever I want to get on WiFi with just my DS:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-W311M-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B006GCYAOS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335135790&sr=8-3
#10tonicpalinPosted 4/23/2012 11:35:09 AM
i think the handphone tethering method is best if your roomie really don't want to use WEP, and you can't afford to get another internet connection(landed line or wireless mobile).

that or just use it in a fastfood restaurant ... if they still have free wifi.

another method is to simply use mac filtering combined with WEP, but i'm not sure your firewall or router has such a feature. that should ensure that only devices with specific MAC addresses are allow to access your internet connection. or it could be set to disallow new devices from connecting to it, after your DS connects to it.

most routers/modems should also be able to hide themselves unless the connecting device knows their SSID.