What are the "Must play" games for the DS?

#21ParominPosted 10/1/2012 3:34:46 PM(edited)
No, it didn't. The first one was plagued by its random encounter nonsense and its very bad story.

I wasn't even talking about the story. Also random encounters? You have a option not to enter those.

The second one isn't anything to write home about,

Well good thing you agree with me, the game isn't a "must play"

the the character interactions are mildly interesting in addition to the fact that the LA story formula was polished this time.

Wasn't even talking about the story.

Just because you're looking for a painfully difficult game does not make ones that aren't bad games.

FFTA2 is pretty easy even on hard mode. It''s good because the gameplay aspect where it excels at is done extremely well.

SRW W's graphics pushes the DS and sets an incredibly high ceiling for sprite animations on a DS. K's improves on that, then L even goes higher with more animated cut-ins.

LA's story isn't even that amazing. It's usual manga blah blah.

I could argue the games you cite are not as accessible and are, therefore, 'bad' games.

Accessible? Only Rondo of Swords has a high learning curve. The rest are pretty playable unless you're an idiot

Also bad? Wow so I call LA a mediocre game and you're going to call FFTA2 bad Please go right ahead

Customization? The game has 14 characters, IIRC. Who needs customization? Switch characters; there's your customization.

Uh huh compared to other games which have more characters and each of them with more options?

14 units with one class is pretty small.

Customization? It'll just make things complicated. I really enjoy the game, especially the second and the third.

I'm sure the Barbie games are incredibly simple. No one seems to be recommending them.

Although the third game has the least characters compared to the previous two, every character can be useful battle-wise

Wow other SRPGs don't certainly have this. Oh wait they do.
---
Two people are talking? They must be in love.
Fanfiction logic applied IRL
#22zinformantPosted 10/1/2012 4:54:46 PM
Paromin posted...
Also bad? Wow so I call LA a mediocre game and you're going to call FFTA2 bad Please go right ahead

Uh huh compared to other games which have more characters and each of them with more options?
14 units with one class is pretty small.

1. I'm proving a point here. Opinions. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically strike it down as 'bad'. Remember Pokemon Conquest? I don't care for your kind of strategy games, but you don't see me running around with the audacity to call them 'bad' in topics where the TCs will listen to many of us and take our possibly skewed opinions as fact. That said, LA doesn't fit the TC's critera seeing as how they definitely aren't must plays.

2. This isn't Suikoden II. Most stories aren't told with fifty characters, and many of the aforementioned 14 are added late game...
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#23ParominPosted 10/1/2012 5:08:41 PM
1. I'm proving a point here. Opinions. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically strike it down as 'bad'.

Where did I call LA bad? So if a game isn't a "must play" it's automatically bad?

Wow. What a rigid rating system you have. Games can only be good or bad.

Remember Pokemon Conquest? I don't care for your kind of strategy games, but you don't see me running around with the audacity to call them 'bad' in topics where the TCs will listen to many of us and take our possibly skewed opinions as fact.

Feel free to call them bad and I'll defend them the same way you're defending LA is right now.

That said, LA doesn't fit the TC's critera seeing as how they definitely aren't must plays.

So what again are you arguing against now? Because so far all I said was LA isn't a must play and it's a mediocre game series

2. This isn't Suikoden II. Most stories aren't told with fifty characters, and many of the aforementioned 14 are added late game...

Good because neither is FFTA told with 50 characters. But Squeenix got around that issue by letting characters have multiple classes, then allow for mix and matching 2 Ability Sets, plus a Support and Reaction abiltiy.
---
#24zinformantPosted 10/1/2012 5:14:24 PM
Apologies, I'm mixing posts...
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
Luminous Arc 3 is really good but the first 2 are pretty bad.

This guy called it bad; you chose your words more carefully.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#25ekamownPosted 10/2/2012 10:03:20 PM(edited)
The intermission system is what makes LA series unique. You have to "watch what you say!" instead of just go battle to build relationship with other party members.

Suikoden II, huh? Back then I played the game the most compared to any other RPGs.
---
I must finish what I have begun, or all will have been in vain.
#26Muffins_And_PiePosted 10/4/2012 5:48:05 PM
Which of the 3 rune factories would you guys say is the best?
---
---
---
#27ParominPosted 10/4/2012 6:32:46 PM(edited)
Third game is the best, because of the interface.

First game is just horrible to play after playing the 2nd and 3rd thanks to the lack of auto run (not to mention the ultra simplistic combat)

The intermission system is what makes LA series unique. You have to "watch what you say!"

The rewards aren't that monumental and there are no punishments for doing it wrong. Sure they provide SOME bonuses but given how easy the games are, not as game breaking as they would seem. Besides, DeSu2 (and DeSu1 to some extent) has something similar..
---
#28ElDudorinoPosted 10/4/2012 7:41:15 PM
Yeah, I liked Rune Factory 3 way, way more than the first two. The whole "Start with everything, save as much stuff as you can, then start over" thing with the generations in RF2 was annoying, and I don't remember much else of the game. I played it a lot less than the first one. In the first one, I had everything within the first season and turned my guy into a huge badass but then would have had to sleep like an extra 50 days to unlock the next dungeon to proceed with the story, and I'm too obsessive-compulsive to just idle away 50 days in bed and let my farm fall apart, so I stopped playing instead.

The 3rd game is rather easy as well; I think on my first playthrough I finished everything halfway through the 3rd season and on the second playthrough I finished everything most of the way through the 2nd season. But I feel like it gave you more options to play, as you can completely ignore farming for most of the game if you want and just focus on fishing, or fighting, and magic is a somewhat viable option in battle. Kinda cool.

There are probably much better reasons to prefer RF3 over RF and RF2, but it's been so long that I can't really remember them.
#29ekamownPosted 10/4/2012 9:45:01 PM
ElDudorino posted...
Yeah, I liked Rune Factory 3 way, way more than the first two. The whole "Start with everything, save as much stuff as you can, then start over" thing with the generations in RF2 was annoying, and I don't remember much else of the game. I played it a lot less than the first one. In the first one, I had everything within the first season and turned my guy into a huge badass but then would have had to sleep like an extra 50 days to unlock the next dungeon to proceed with the story, and I'm too obsessive-compulsive to just idle away 50 days in bed and let my farm fall apart, so I stopped playing instead.

The 3rd game is rather easy as well; I think on my first playthrough I finished everything halfway through the 3rd season and on the second playthrough I finished everything most of the way through the 2nd season. But I feel like it gave you more options to play, as you can completely ignore farming for most of the game if you want and just focus on fishing, or fighting, and magic is a somewhat viable option in battle. Kinda cool.

There are probably much better reasons to prefer RF3 over RF and RF2, but it's been so long that I can't really remember them.

I totally agree with you. So far, RF3 combat system is the best compared to the other two, besides I'm a big fan of dual-wielding weapon. Also each of cooked items has "unique" effects instead of just increase HP a bit. I can take my "pet" to enter someone's house and can take a villager to come with me. Villagers' likable items are not just one kind.
---
I must finish what I have begun, or all will have been in vain.
#30Hector52Posted 10/6/2012 5:21:44 AM
Lock's Quest. One of the best DS game i've ever played. Hard to find though. The game is unique; it's the ultimate construction combat.

Other than that, i would recommend:
- Tales of Innocence (excellent graphic. Japanese, but there's a fan translation)
- Disgaea (great replay value)