Can't decide which game to buy

#1NeonYoshi11Posted 10/3/2012 9:39:34 AM
What game do you think I should purchase and for what reasons ? ( No Zelda ) - Results (24 votes)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - $6.00 at GS
8.33% (2 votes)
Legacy of Ys: Book 1 & 2 - $ 8.00 at GS
33.33% (8 votes)
Phantasy Star Zero - $15.00 at GS
25% (6 votes)
Other Action-RPG ( what game & why ? )
16.67% (4 votes)
Other Turn-based RPG ( what game & why ? )
16.67% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm saving for money for Black Ops 2, so I'm on a budget.

I have DQ 9,4,5 & FFTA2. so far I don't have an action RPG though and am interested in getting one.

NOT Legend of Zelda though, as I can't stand having to control my player with the stylus.

Any action-rpg or other rpg that has me controlling with the stylus would have to be really addicting and fun for me to even consider it.

I played Phantom Hourglass and couldn't make it more than an hour and a half.

So yea Standard controls with d-pad/ analog and buttons is preferred.

Also I want to play the FF CC games in order IF I do play them at all. At least on DS.
#2BatenKait0sPosted 10/3/2012 10:41:39 AM
Out of your choices, definitely Ys. Two classic games, one cartridge.

I'd also recommend my favorite DS game, Solatorobo: The Red Hunter.
---
Currently playing: DQ: VI (DS), LoZ: The Minish Cap (GBA)
[[Dear CyberConnect2, kindly make us a Solatorobo 2.]]
#321_21Posted 10/3/2012 12:12:58 PM
Actually if you have a PSP you're better off getting YS 1 and 2 Collection for that instead.

But yeah, you can't go wrong with Solatorobo.
---
Currently playing:
Kingdom Hearts 3D and Tales of Graces F
#4ChemicalBurritoPosted 10/3/2012 1:01:14 PM
NeonYoshi11 posted...
I'm saving for money for Black Ops 2, so I'm on a budget.

Out of that list, and with your budget seemingly being $15 or under ... Ys.

But the other posters are right ... if you've got a PSP, Ys is better there.

Don't think PS0 is worth $15, personally.
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Tales of Graces f (PS3) | Just beat: Tales of the Abyss (PS2), DQ4 (DS)
#5Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 10/3/2012 3:43:43 PM
First, NeonYoshi, how old are you? (please, be honest)
I don't want to say the wrong thing and recommend something inappropriate.
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
SSBB: 3652-6261-7096 + Mario Kart Wii: 2707-7247-9079 + Samurai Warriors 3: 0346-6035-0276
#6NeonYoshi11(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 4:23:47 PM
Jason Hart Maivia posted...
First, NeonYoshi, how old are you? (please, be honest)
I don't want to say the wrong thing and recommend something inappropriate.

lol It's fine. I'm 27. I'm low on cash and planning on buying Black Ops 2 & Halo 4 and most likely AC3 at some point so I'm trying to find some quality DS games for less.

Since DS games have been out for a while and I've missed out on a ton of Rpg's on many systems I figured it would be the best way for me to get a good game for cheap.

I wish I had a PSP. Thinking about getting a Vita once I get the money.

I've heard mixed things on all the games I listed, that is why I made this. I can see them all being decent to good but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

* With FF CC. If I like it, there is Echoes of time to play after.

* With Ys 1&2, there are 2 games and it would be my intro to the Ys series.

* I've heard good things about phantasy Star but only mediocre things about PSZero. It seems to have a few good things going for it though.

Why do you ask my age though ? Because of my low budget ?
#7Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 10/4/2012 2:06:42 PM
No, because I've mentioned some things that should have been recommended to someone. I'm just being safe.

Just remember, that no game is perfect, and can't be "EPIC AWESOME-SAUCE" 100% of the time. I've even gone against the popular opinion of some message boards users and bought games that other thought was "bad". Sometimes, people spew out crap without really giving things a fair chance, and when I did, I found hidden gems.

Some games I'm going to list are a bit obscure, but can be fun...at least, I had fund with them.

Here are some that I liked:

-Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
It plays a lot like a Super NES games that Square used to make, and you know...I sorta wish there were more games like this. There are some flaws, but I found the game to be pretty good. My main problems with it are that the battles are really slow, your action meter doesn't fill up fast enough, and it gets pretty hard sometimes because the game doesn't give enough gold and exp...which means more slow battles for grinding. The random encounter rate is really high, so after a slow battle, a few step later, and you're back in another slow battle. Other than that, the story's fine, and I like the characters.
I'd say, if you have Action Replay, get this game. Use Gold & EXP multipliers, and lower (turn on/off) the random encounters manually. It's a real shame that a really cool story is held back by these flaws.

I promise I won't list anymore games with bad flaws as bad as this one's.
--------------------------

-Chrono Trigger
Have you played it? If not, buy this version for ~$20 (with the extra in-game stuff included), or save money and buy the Super NES Virtual Console version on Wii for $8. Many people swear up-and-down that this is the best RPG, or their favorite, of all time. I'm not going to say that they're lying...I liked the game. I LOVED it!

-Away: Shuffle Dungeon
Obscure. Many people haven't played it, and for a while I didn't know if I wanted it, until I made a snap decision and got it. It's pretty addictive, though, it may take time to get used what's going on. Don't get caught in the shuffle! Things get better and more challenging as you go along. Best of all...it's CHEAP!

-Contact
It's very weird and goofy, and I thought the music was really good. You move about the game in real time, but the battling system is close to Xenoblade/Final Fantasy XII, where your character, when in "battle" mode, automatically attacks the enemies (and normal people (lol), while you handle special skills.

-Blue Dragon Plus
It's a turn-based strategy RPG, much like Final Fantasy Tactics, Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, and the like. It has its own story, so you don't have to know anything about the series (though, I liked the anime). It's not revolutionary in any way, but it doesnt' do anything bad. It's neat and CHEAP!

-Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
I beat this one just last year. You said you're looking for real-time action RPGs, well here's a good one. You create your character and will meet others are you're playing along. Again, you don't have to know much about the series, and can jump straight into it.
There's also wifi multiplayer, but I haven't found anyone to trade friend codes with since the message board is dead. I guess I came too late to the party.
I paid about $25 for mine, and it's still going around and above that price. Still, for the price, I had a lot of fun.
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
SSBB: 3652-6261-7096 + Mario Kart Wii: 2707-7247-9079 + Samurai Warriors 3: 0346-6035-0276
#8zinformantPosted 10/4/2012 2:23:25 PM
I'm a serious Ys fan, and I'm not sure I can recommend the DS version of Ys I and II over the PSP version. If you're fascinated with the bump gameplay, then I suppose you could not go wrong by getting the new experience. Bear in mind the sum of the two adventures is relatively short since they're Ys. Half if Ys I is spent in a single dungeon. Granted, the game itself is short, so that doesn't mean much.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#9Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 10/4/2012 3:28:59 PM(edited)
There's so many good RPGs on the DS; you may want to wait a little bit and save up so you can get some of the really good ones starting at $20+. Many of those games haven't seen a mark down discount in a looong time (or ever) and are among the very best on the DS.

-Rune Factory series.
It's a mix between a dungeon crawler and Harvest moon. I don't know if you'll be into this sort of thing. Have a look at some videos online to see what I mean. You can jump into any one of them (you have to go in order). It's a pretty sought-after series, so it may not be easy to find for a good price, but you can be lucky. I got hooked on the series when they first began (well...because I like Harvest Moon), but it's now grown to be its very own series and some of my favorite games on DS.

-Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga: Endless Frontier (b00bz)
-Radiant Historia
-Luminous Arc series
-Infinite Space
-Lunar Knights

You could get lucky and find some of these used at Gamestop for CHEAP, but other places will want more than $20-$30 for a lot of them.
-------------------
Sorry...low prices, right?
-------------------

-From the Abyss
Here's another real-time RPG that can be found relatively cheap - kinda cheap (not CHEAP) if you search around. It's fairly simple, but has a strong Secret of Mana vibe. BUT, if you can find it at GameStop....it's CHEAP.

-Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
All the haters can kiss my ass!
This game is great! Kiss it, haters!! LOL :D
It doesn't play like the original turn-based Super NES RPG, which was really good, instead the developers went for a real-time combat system. They're both good games.

-Magical Starsign
Obscure. Most people probably haven't played or heard of it. It's a pretty light-hearted story, and kept me interested all the way through to the end. I've always wanted the prequel many years ago, but Japan hogged it to themselves (*shakes fist*), but the good news is that we have THIS...and it's CHEEEEEEAP!

-Glory of Heracles
It plays like most other turn-based JRPG. So, if you're really into those games, no matter how "same-y" they are (I like them too), this game is worth playing especially for the price that it's going for now. It's CHEEEEEEAP!

-Golden Sun series
I think you'll enjoy it more if you start from the beginning on GBA, then I'll think you'll appreciate the DS game more. They're all around the same price each ($12-$25). They're turn-based RPGs with a battle style similar to Beyond the Beyond on PSOne, and has a MUCH better cast of characters & story. Totally worth playing!!

-Lunar: Dragon Song
Okay, so it doesn't have voice work, like the previous games on Sega CD/Playstation. The game also has EXP problems where grinding is needed, and you much choose between items or EXP after battles (it's stupid), BUT the game isn't the worse thing ever, and i'll go as far as to say that it isn't a bad game. It's not broken (but your armor can be; and don't run...often), the story's fine, and the characters are nice.
It may not have been worth the full retail price that it was going before, but now, it's a decent RPG for friggin CHEEEEEEAP - about the price of a McDonald's Value Meal.

-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Another CHEAP game. I own it for PSOne, and bought the DS version for my sister. After about a half a year later, I played hers and saw some changes. The voices are in Japanese, and it doesn't have the grid-based battles anymore. It's been turned into a normal turn-based, menu-based JRPG, which is fine. Give it a chance. I liked it (I actually prefer the English dub for PSOne). It's not a terribly hard game at all, but it's funny, thanks to its goofy, wacky, off-the-wall plot and characters.
There's singing...LOTS of singing.
There's dancing...LOTS of dancing.
#10King_MadnessPosted 10/4/2012 3:46:01 PM
Don't listen to any of these guys.

The World Ends with You. Get this game and you'll have unmatchable fun for a couple weeks.
---
Giants~Yankees~Knicks~Mavs
THE NEW YORK GIANTS NFL CHAMPIONS!