Looking for good "non-kid" games

#1raisindotPosted 10/6/2012 2:01:04 PM
I just picked up one of the original, larger Gameboy DSs for $2 at a yard sale.

My kids will know which games they want, but I'm all grown up and would like to try out some DS games aimed at adults. My preferred genre is RPGs; right know I'm playing Skyrim on the PS3 and doing old school PS1 with FFVII and Xenogears. I'm not into the Mario or side scrolling things with cartoon characters.

I prefer games that have more of a 3D look to them, good stories, good characters. It's really hard to go through all the reviews here to find one, so I'm hoping you'll have DS-specific recommendations. Even action or sports games that have a more adult orientation would be interesting to consider. Thanks for your advice.
#221_21Posted 10/6/2012 2:07:04 PM
Well, I'm not sure if the games I will recommend you are exactly what you're looking for, but I don't see why not as these games can also be enjoyed by young kids and adults alike, but here goes:

Radiant Historia: Great RPG that involves travelling through time to uncover more stuff behind the plot and use it to progress through your adventure.

999: This game is rated M, it's a visual Novel kind of game, but it's really well done, and possibly one of the best DS games ever made.

Phoenix Wright: Awesome game. Actually, all 3 are awesome. Half the game involves investigating crime scenes. The other half involves finding contradictions in court and ultimately help your client win the case. If you plan on playing this play them in order.

Hotel Dusk Room 215: Another great Visual Novel game

Professor Layton: Awesome puzzle game that gets you to think, or so I've heard, but I haven't played it yet

Contra 4: Good side scrolling shootem ups! One of the manliest adventure you will ever have.

The other members'll recommend you even more games worth buying.
---
Currently playing:
Kingdom Hearts 3D and Tales of Graces F
#3coocoo4cocopopsPosted 10/6/2012 2:08:41 PM
Final Fantasy 3
---
dam u adrian
#4FridgeBeardPosted 10/6/2012 2:10:01 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/925329-nintendo-ds/64199211
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
The only thing people hate more than stagnancy is change.
#5GREEN00Posted 10/6/2012 2:14:22 PM
Oftentimes I find that games "targeting adults" are in truth pandering to the teenage sense of maturity, while games of a "childish" asthetic to the insecure eye have more to say and more real value.

A starting point for DS recommendations,

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

A few I personally recommend, disregarding your request,

Hotel Dusk
Etrian Odyssey 3
Ace Attorney 1-4
Ghost Trick
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
#6hoonstaPosted 10/7/2012 1:13:42 AM
GREEN00 posted...
Oftentimes I find that games "targeting adults" are in truth pandering to the teenage sense of maturity, while games of a "childish" asthetic to the insecure eye have more to say and more real value.

Very well put and I agree.
---
PC: C2D E8500 @ 4.2 ghz / OCZ 4 gb of RAM / EVGA GTS 450 1 gb
Laptop: i7 2670QM / 8 gb of RAM / Radeon HD 6990M 2 gb / Corsair Force 3 90 gb SSD
#7King_MadnessPosted 10/7/2012 3:00:49 PM
gta chinatown wars
---
Giants~Yankees~Knicks~Mavs
THE NEW YORK GIANTS NFL CHAMPIONS!
#81upsuperPosted 10/7/2012 3:29:11 PM
I stopped at "old school PS1 with FFVII and Xenogears."

Dragon Quest is all I'll recommend.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#9MereMarePosted 10/7/2012 4:05:40 PM
I stopped reading at Gameboy DSs.
---
Zelda is an ACTION-ADVENTURE, not an RPG!!!
Japan is the center of the gaming universe.
#10themegaman7Posted 10/7/2012 5:29:31 PM
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
- Infinite Space
- Castlevania series
- Radiant Historia (kind of average but as well put it here)

And that's all I got.. There's a more stuff too if you're willing to look past kiddie anime graphics. such as Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Advance Wars Days of Ruin and the Etrian Odyssey series for example.
---
PSN - Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -