I really want to get back into Pokemon.

#1BatenKait0sPosted 10/6/2012 3:19:31 PM
After getting back into Red, Yellow, and Crystal over the past few months I've decided to take the plunge into the later generations. Now, I know I've missed a ton of games since I never moved onto the GBA entries....but I have a request for the help that I am seeking.

At this point, should I go onto Amazon or Ebay and seek out a GBA entry or go straight for a DS game? Also, I don't need Black or White recommended because I played White and ended up abandoning it after a few hours. Not because it was a bad game mind you, but it was the first game I played since Crystal and the changes made me feel like my time with the series had long since ended.

If you think I should go for GBA, could you recommend your favorite entry? Same for DS would be great, but I'd like to settle on a game to pick for one of the two systems and not one game for each. Once I complete the game I find most here, I will come back for further assistance on a game for the other system.

Thanks!
---
Currently playing: DQ: VI (DS), LoZ: The Minish Cap (GBA)
[[Dear CyberConnect2, kindly make us a Solatorobo 2.]]
#221_21Posted 10/6/2012 3:43:12 PM
Well, if you're tired of Pokemon up until now, chances are you'll not want to get into it ever again. But if I had to suggest, it'd be either Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or Heartgold/Soulsilver. HG/SS for nostalgic value plus some extra content or R/S/E just because of the amount of content in it and the fact that it's my favorite generation. It also doesn't hurt to try D/P/Plat generation but I don't think it's as good imo.

But yeah, if you're not into Pokemon anymore, you may not be into it again.
---
Currently playing:
Kingdom Hearts 3D and Tales of Graces F
#3tw1g_007Posted 10/6/2012 3:58:35 PM
In your situation I strongly suggest starting with Fire Red/Leaf Green (sp?) to be honest. That was basically the last pokemon game I found enjoyable to my standards until things got over-exaggerated with subsequent releases. The thing about FR/LG is that it brought back a lot of nostalgia from the classic Red/Blue with refreshed graphics and battle tweaks.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#4BatenKait0s(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 3:59:55 PM
21_21 posted...
Well, if you're tired of Pokemon up until now, chances are you'll not want to get into it ever again. But if I had to suggest, it'd be either Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or Heartgold/Soulsilver. HG/SS for nostalgic value plus some extra content or R/S/E just because of the amount of content in it and the fact that it's my favorite generation. It also doesn't hurt to try D/P/Plat generation but I don't think it's as good imo.

I think lack of interest stemmed from 2 sources: not having played the pertussis in so long, and feeling overwhelmed by the hundreds of new Pokemon that I know nothing about. With the GB/GBC games, I could tell you several things about almost every Pokemon. Nowadays, it seems like I've missed so many new types, that ill be researching and scouting my team for ages. I never really got tired of it, I just stopped playing once the series hit the GBA.

I may take your suggestion with the R/S/E generation. That way I can transition from GB to GBA to DS.
---
#5BatenKait0s(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 4:02:39 PM
tw1g_007 posted...
In your situation I strongly suggest starting with Fire Red/Leaf Green (sp?) to be honest. That was basically the last pokemon game I found enjoyable to my standards until things got over-exaggerated with subsequent releases. The thing about FR/LG is that it brought back a lot of nostalgia from the classic Red/Blue with refreshed graphics and battle tweaks.

I forgot those even existed. Shows just how out of the loop I am lol. I will do exactly that then continue with 21s suggestion and see if I like the newer gen.
---
#621_21Posted 10/6/2012 4:07:36 PM
BatenKait0s posted...
21_21 posted...

I think lack of interest stemmed from 2 sources: not having played the pertussis in so long, and feeling overwhelmed by the hundreds of new Pokemon that I know nothing about. With the GB/GBC games, I could tell you several things about almost every Pokemon. Nowadays, it seems like I've missed so many new types, that ill be researching and scouting my team for ages. I never really got tired of it, I just stopped playing once the series hit the GBA.

I may take your suggestion with the R/S/E generation. That way I can transition from GB to GBA to DS.

Keep in mind that it may feel a bit dated since you already tried to play Black/White, but it's still a really good pokemon game. In fact, if you're starting that with that generation, play Emerald since it's a mix of Ruby's and Sapphire's content. But you prolly already knew that.

And if you're that overwhelmed about the number of pokemon, then don't play the game for the sake of knowing the pokemon. Play them for the sake of having fun, like visiting towns and evolving whatever pokemon you capture. Besides, no one's gonna care if you don't know all the pokemon. Only the first 151 pokemon are worth memorizing. The rest are just for s***s and giggles.
---
Currently playing:
Kingdom Hearts 3D and Tales of Graces F