Good turn based rpg

#1charlton3kPosted 11/25/2012 11:49:09 AM
I know the pokemons and final fantasy's are on there but i've played them all too death.
Any other good ones on there?
Preferably something new!
#2zinformantPosted 11/25/2012 11:58:09 AM(edited)
Sands of Destruction lol
...seriously, look into the games suggested on the RPGs EE board.
MetalMayhem007 posted...
Atelier series (PS3)
Radiant Historia (NDS)
Trails In the Sky (PSP)

EDIT: The Mario & Luigi series?
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#31upsuperPosted 11/25/2012 12:45:08 PM(edited)
You won't find any better that the Dragon Quest series, IMO. There's also EO, the DS MegaTen titles, Radiant Historia, and a wealth of others.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#4Northern_RosePosted 11/25/2012 1:45:21 PM
Here's a few:

A Witch's Tale
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (ATB)
Chrono Trigger (ATB)
Dark Spire, The
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Infinite Space (ATB)
Nostalgia
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road
---
"I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad." ~ Bad-Anon
3DS FC: 4210-5381-4799
#5ParominPosted 11/25/2012 5:42:25 PM
A Witch's Tale and Black Sigil are both worse than Sands of Destruction.
---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#6zinformantPosted 11/25/2012 5:53:50 PM
Paromin posted...
A Witch's Tale and Black Sigil are both worse than Sands of Destruction.

That's saying something. I'm sorry you went through that.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#7davidvincPosted 11/25/2012 6:20:17 PM
What are you talking about? Black Sigil is great, it's like a cross between Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 - just with a higher encounter rate.
---
Check out my collection and leave a comment!
http://backloggery.com/davidvinc
#8ParominPosted 11/25/2012 7:47:35 PM(edited)
****ty inbattle movement system. Everyone moves as slow as molasses and for no good reason either.

At least other games have decent animations as a reason to prolong battles, Black Sigil's spritework is crappier than Chrono Trigger's.

Sands of Destruction deserves all the flak it gets but at least it does have a somewhat decent customization system. Albeit one of the more obvious paths end up breaking the game's difficulty to microscopic pieces.

That's saying something. I'm sorry you went through that.

Not as horrible as it sounds. It's like playing a game that's a 6/10 (SoD) and two 5-5.5/10's (Witch's Tale & Black Sigil, without the glitches factored in)

But yeah no way these games can be considered good. Average is more like it.

---
#9ValzacardXPosted 11/25/2012 8:27:41 PM
Can someone update me SoD? I'm looking into getting it sense It was made by some of the guys that did Xenogears, but you guys are making it out to be horrible.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#10ParominPosted 11/25/2012 8:47:54 PM(edited)
The story is nothing special. It starts off somewhat interesting (world destruction), but they don't really get into it adequately enough. It feels like some dumb weekend cartoon.

The battle system has a few very annoying quirks. First off, you can customize your characters to deal OHKO damage to just about anything, and it's a pretty obvious and reasonable choice to make when upgrading your characters. They did everything except name the option "Win the Game Upgrade"

Next the damage formula seems to be scaled wrong. It's kind of similar to SMT's system where level plays a huge part in the damage you do. But in SMT this is to make players fuse new demons instead of just relying on the same group of demons. SoD on the other hand has no excuse, other than encourage the player to go grinding and that is not a good thing for main game content.

SMT gives the player the option to make smart fusion choices instead of grinding, SoD doesn't. Unless they intended for the player to break the game to ultra baby mode. Which is a fault in itself.
---