The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Age Appropriate?

#1nicolehpPosted 6/12/2008 9:20:24 AM

I have 7 & 9 year olds and am considering a summer game. Do you feel this game is age appropriate, and should I get one of them diamond and the other pearl?

#2kntkyfrydcrultyPosted 6/12/2008 9:21:29 AM
No, this game involves two creatures animalistic in nature being pit together and they fight to the death. Very violent.
---
SCEPTILE IS WITHOUT PEER IN JUNGLE COMBAT
#3AnimalCrossingXPosted 6/12/2008 9:25:06 AM
Yes, it is age appropriate. My little brother is 11 and he likes it. I'm 16 and I still like it.
---
Currently Playing: Mario Kart Wii and My Pokemon Ranch
See quote for Game/System Info
#4Truthiness5Posted 6/12/2008 9:27:13 AM
It's fine, I played the older games when I was like six.
---
Truthiness, you rascal! - George Bush the 43rd (and current) President of the United States
#5EzekialDecaPosted 6/12/2008 9:28:48 AM
Allow me to give a less outlandish reply.

A lot of younger children play pokemon and watch the tv series. The main idea is to battle/fight your team vs opposing teams in order to gain strength to furthur progress through the game.

When a pokemon is defeated in battle the game says that it "feints" rather than dies, which I think is appropriate. In addition enemy trainers are referred to as "foes" and will say a quote before and after battle but nothing inappropriate.

The main character is a child and there are numerous characters that will be met that are children.

The only issue would be online play, which younger children would most likely not comprehend either way. However, you have the option to play against other real people in battle. Please note that nicknames can be given to your pokemon which are not filtered by the game. Thus curse words and suggestive phrases are able to be viewed by your children.

Otherwise I would think this game is fine for younger audiences.

Hope this helps
#6Legendary CelebiPosted 6/12/2008 9:34:07 AM
Aside from the opinions that have just been given (except the first, which you should disregard :P), I would also suggest looking to the game's ESRB rating on this. Since they've rated the game as E for Everyone, that means that it's suitable for your 7 and 9 year olds.
---
< System Message > -- GODZIRRA IS ATTACK JAPAN! LUN FO YOU RIFES! ~ Divinehero (on why the FFXI servers are down)
#7kipper49576Posted 6/12/2008 9:36:25 AM
Oh, and yeah, it's better if you were to get Diamond for one and Pearl for the other, that way the two can trade the version-exclusive Pokemon with eachother.
---
Diamond Friend Code: 3007 4564 9510
#8Aoshi916Posted 6/12/2008 9:50:26 AM
No, this game involves two creatures animalistic in nature being pit together and they fight to the death. Very violent.

^ truth
---
find me here at - http://mattyg33.proboards67.com/index.cgi
ok SHUT THE UP i mean weavil, ok. - xNarutoPwns94x
#9Mirage312Posted 6/12/2008 9:57:18 AM
I have 7 & 9 year olds and am considering a summer game. Do you feel this game is age appropriate, and should I get one of them diamond and the other pearl?

Yes and yes. However I think an adult or an older person should have some basis knowledge of the game to aid them, if they have questions.
Simply reading a simple walkthrough is enough for that. I doubt that your children will go into the deeper depths of the game or start competive battling, at least not at this age.

---
Petition to liberate *ahem* get Eastern Europe a board ~Metalocalypse1
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=43342890
#10CyanSkiesPosted 6/12/2008 10:01:18 AM
There is nothing in these games that would make them age-inappropriate. The major of the game is spent battling. However there isn't really any "violence", as when your pokemon uses, say, tackle, the animation just moves forward. Flamethrower, a flame shoots out its mouth, etc. etc.
As another poster said though, the online play is the only place where anything inappropriate could happen. Even then, I have never had any problems.
---
Pearl FC: 3265-1535-1352
AC:WW in quote