This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Notable Breakpoints

#31MLBloomyPosted 1/11/2008 7:03:35 PM
The Pomeg glitch in Emerald entailed having an HP EV trained Pokemon left with 1 HP, then using Pomeg berries to lower the HP EVs. The Pokemon needs to be leveled high enough so lowering EVs would be reflected by a drop in HP. The Pokemon would have 0 (or less) HP, but the game wouldn't completely recognize it as fainted. You could apparently use this to battle with a Pokemon inside an unhatched egg in Emerald, including leveling up, learning moves and evolving. Last time I saw a topic about it on the Diamond board, people weren't willing to risk their D/P games to try it.

There's really no other real programming courses, it's all data analysis and statistics, do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to learn more?

That sounds a bit more like computer science. There should still be programming in those courses (at least if they're in the comp sci dept.), but it becomes more about concepts and why / how things work than just being given a problem / project and a language and coding a solution. But it lays a good foundation for programming in any language, the syntax of the language you choose / have to use becomes less relevant because that's the easier stuff to learn. Unfortunately, some HR people might not see beyond the list of languages you have listed on your resume.
#32tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2008 6:40:29 PM
I'll test out that Pomeg glitch later. It seems pretty easy enough to set up the conditions, so I guess we'll see how that turns out.

Aside: there was a post on Slashdot a short while ago about the qualities that one "ought to look for" when determining if a programmer is a "good programmer." I find that many of those qualities that are described in the article are those that will probably tell you if programming in that hobbyist kind of capacity is for you.

References:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/11/1746250
http://www.inter-sections.net/2007/11/13/how-to-recognise-a-good-programmer/
---
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
#33Ice3090Posted 1/12/2008 8:41:56 PM
The Pomeg glitch still exists actually. It was widely tested on the Diamond board, and I even tried it myself... although I didnt delve deep.

---
"Ice3090 uses logic! Topic falls apart!" ~ Orange Fluffy Sheep
#34tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2008 3:35:24 PM
I was thinking earlier about a couple things in the game which may share common code: Synchronize passing nature to wild Pokemon and PokeRadar chaining for shinies. Both those affect calculations to PV, so by finding the routines of one that effect change, it'd probably be easier to find the relevant routine for the other.

Just something to think about. I hope I'll have time to reformat tonight or tomorrow.
---
Only I will remain.
#35tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2008 12:23:31 AM
Threw something together earlier tonight because I was bored. I'd been thinking about the old Down+B glitch in the original Pokemon Red/Blue. I decided that I wanted to replicate the effect in D/P, so here it is:

94000130 FF7D0000
9223C1F6 2EFFD100
1223C1F6 000046C0
D2000000 00000000

To use it, hold Down+B as you throw any pokeball, at least until the ball closes and begins to drop. The ball should, in theory, catch anything with a 100% hit rate. If not, let me know and I'll try to figure out what the problem is.

I looked over the previous code I'd made for forcing shinies out of the PokeRadar. I'm somewhat embarrassed about it now, since I wasn't doing proper checks for instructions before overwriting those expected instructions. I've tested this new code on both no$gba and an M3; perhaps someone with an actual AR can verify that it works properly on AR+Cartridge?
---
Only I will remain.
#36tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2008 12:48:29 AM
On that note, I fixed my previous code. It's longer, but the guards that are now in place should make it safer:

9205E410 2EFED101
1205E410 0000E001
9205E46C 2EFED101
1205E46C 000046C0
D2000000 00000000

As I mentioned last time, this code should, in theory, guarantee that the PokeRadar will generate a shiny for every chain after the first encounter. Sparkly patches may appear when the PokeRadar is first procced, but sparkly patches after the first encounter should contain actual shinies.
---
Only I will remain.
#37tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2008 11:03:48 AM
It occurred to me that a sensible way to display in-game data would be through the calculator. It'd be far easier (read: better UI) to type "349" into the calculator and hold L to proc a Feebas encounter than to throw out heart scales/masterballs until you hit 349. In similar manner, it would also be easier to display hidden values like secret IDs or IVs rather than by overwriting one's money.

Just something else to put on the plate.
---
Only I will remain.
#38shadow1515Posted 1/16/2008 11:30:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#39shadow1515Posted 1/16/2008 11:32:48 AM
I tested your shinies code on an R4 and it worked fine, but then I realized that you had also tested it on an M3, so that information probably wasn't anything new to you. Oh well.
#40tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2008 11:35:28 AM
I was concerned that it might not work on an AR+game since the load offset may be different. For all I know, all of no$gba's addresses may be set forward by 0x210, and that might screw things up royally in an actual AR+game.

It definitely helps to know that it works on both the M3 and R4 (which are really the same thing), but it'd just give me peace of mind if I knew that I didn't have to worry about the codes not working on "real" hardware.

I'm glad to help.
---
Only I will remain.