This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Notable Breakpoints

#51tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2008 8:56:37 PM
Actually, yes. I'm running a pretty fresh install of Gutsy off a Core2Duo system running an AGP Radeon 9800 Pro. no$gba used to crash without explanation before I installed the ATI restricted driver set, but now it works... just without any 3D display for Wine-based apps. glxgears runs perfectly, as do other Linux-native OpenGL applications, but anything using Wine just doesn't work properly. I suspect the relative immaturity of the Wine Direct3D stuff. It works in the sense that some of my applications don't crash anymore, but it fails in the sense that I can't see anything.

I'm afraid that I might not have anything useful to contribute, since I used the Restricted Drivers manager to install fglrx and it "just worked." My suspicions, from what you've mentioned:

1) AGP versus PCIe might be an issue, or
2) My using an older card on a desktop machine might be helping me.

Good luck with that. If I find anything useful, I'll post back.
---
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
#52shadow1515Posted 1/22/2008 9:10:35 PM
Alright, thanks. I also notice I was running a different build of Ubuntu than you are. I may try messing around with it later...I've reserved a 40 GB partition on my main PC's hard drive (well, only PC because my laptop died) in case I ever felt like trying again.
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone! - gandob
#53superxflshPosted 1/23/2008 3:33:46 AM
wow, great thread! although i dont understand a lot of it, i feel smarter just reading it. i know youre messing with the 4th gen code, but i actually have a question about the PRNG for pokemon emerald. i have been trying to soft reset for a groudon with decent nature and IVs. i found that the synchronize trick to encounter specific natures does not work for legends in that game. why is that? furthermore, in my soft reset trials, i was able to catch the exact same groudon twice. this happened on 2 different occasions. heres a link to a thread i made about it on the emerald board:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=921905&topic=40955679

i guess my question is: what can i do ingame to randomize my results? i hate to think that i might just be catching groudons from a relatively small predetermined list.

thanks in advance for your response, and keep up the good work! =)
---
Diamond: 2320-2782-6892
"no its not. i traded him from my blue to gold, to crystal, to saphire, to migrate to diamond." -spicabibi
#54tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 11:05:45 AM
Thank you for the kind words.

I checked that thread, and I believe what the other fellow was implying was that since the PRNG is poorly-seeded in Emerald, you have a higher chance to get the same random value, especially if you hammer A upon start. Emerald may be using junk values from memory to seed; if you're SRing, it's possible that those same junk values wouldn't have been overwritten with other values, and thus the PRNG would be seeded twice (or more!) with the same value. This is all speculation: I speak from a position of ignorance, since I haven't played Emerald (yet). I now have a copy of the game (not counterfeit, thankfully), but my research is still focused on D/P.

In D/P, the PRNG procs every 30-100 steps (I just did ~15 trials, thus the wide range). I tried turning around in-place, but that didn't proc the PRNG over 60-70 turns. Entering the menu and switching around my pokemon also had no effect. It's a possibility that the PRNG procs every x seconds instead of every y steps, but I waited a while and didn't see a PRNG proc over ~30 seconds. I don't know which actions in Emerald proc the PRNG, but walking around a bit might be a start.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
---
Only I will remain.
#55tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 6:15:30 PM
Output from a searcher I put together, using junk pokemon data (a neutral nature with total IV points equal to or less than 35) as my target data:

Iteration 824 at Thu Jan 24 01:06:48 2008 GMT:
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Second
Shiny: No
IV 1: HP:21 Spe:21 Atk:19 SpA:0 Def:23 SpD:19
IV 2: HP:21 Spe:5 Atk:0 SpA:5 Def:19 SpD:1
IV 3: HP:5 Spe:8 Atk:5 SpA:3 Def:1 SpD:0
PV: 5e75c5fb
Final seed: c930ae5e
Lineup: 7ca7c7f0 c5fba1a3 5e75dcda 4c15d545 84a534d4 806876b7 c930ae5e
Queue: c5fb 5e75 4c15 84a5 8068 c930

After I figure out that issue with the IV shuffling, I think I can put together something which gives faster results than this. Also note that w pokemon's IV total can be in the range from 0..186 (6 * 31).

On my machine, searching for a pokemon with a total of at least 160 IV points total takes a long time. If you lower that to 150 IV points, it becomes fairly fast. The magic numbers bordering "fast" and "slow" occurs somewhere in the range of 155-156 total IV points. For reference, I'm running a Core 2 Duo E6600 (the 4MB cache version) with 2 GB of DDR2-800, under Linux.

Evidently, some numbers are just rare.
---
Only I will remain.
#56superxflshPosted 1/23/2008 7:06:43 PM
thank you for your response. whether its x steps or y seconds, it sounds like walking around would help. also, instead of soft resetting, would it be helpful if i re-saved and did a hard restart periodically?
---
"no its not. i traded him from my blue to gold, to crystal, to saphire, to migrate to diamond." -spicabibi
#57tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 8:02:07 PM
I'm honestly not sure. I would guess that hard-restarting would be helpful, but that all really depends on how the game generates its original random seed. In the general case, I expect that most PRNGs will generate random numbers which are "good enough" for most cases.

I think that if you walk around a bit, you're probably going to churn the generator enough. For most cases, I think that SRing is more than sufficient for your cases. Take a look at the shinies topic around here with 400+ responses: Heliotrope has spent a whole lot of time (much more than I'd personally care to spend) SRing for a shiny Dialga and Palkia. I think she SRed over... what, 29k times for one or the other?

Now that's dedication. Just pay your dues, and in 8000+ resets, you're probabilistically likely to have gotten a shiny. Of course, it's not a guarantee that you'll get one, but the maths just suck like that. orz
---
Only I will remain.
#58superxflshPosted 1/23/2008 8:25:00 PM
okay, ill just walk around for a bit. im not resetting for a shiny tho. im actually resetting for good IVs. i thought of a question pertaining to d/p tho. is it possible to create an AR code so that traded pokes can be nicknamed?
---
#59tsanth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2008 5:29:08 PM
It's likely possible to change the behavior such that you could change the name of traded pokemon. I'm not sure where to start looking, but I imagine that I'd have some success if I hooked into the A-button handler. I'm on a little break, since this week and next are pretty busy for me, but I'll put it on my list.

Speaking of which, as a reminder to myself, I need to look at:
*) IV shuffling
*) Unown/Synchronize PV generation
*) PokeRadar shiny generation
*) Calculator Poketch handler (how nice would it be to type in "130" to force-proc a Gyarados encounter?)
*) A-button handler

...more to come later, time permitting.
---
Only I will remain.
#60ScvGeoPosted 1/28/2008 1:37:16 AM
Hello tsanth, I also have the no$gba debug version. However I cannot get it to load save files. Did you have this problem? How did you set no$gba debug up to run the pokemon rom?