This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Double Team?

#1Shadow1975Posted 2/6/2011 2:55:21 PM
I am in the process of putting a team together to battle my nephew with. We use strange rules compared to what I gather the competitive community uses, so I'll explain briefly what our rules are, then ask my question.

For this battle, we can bring 6 Pokemon, none can be higher than level 40, and all must be Water or part Water type. No legendaries. Obviously moves like Grass and Electric would be good choices, and I've taken that into account. But one particular pokemon I chose is based on an NPC in the Pearl Battle Tower, and I'm wondering if I should copy it directly or modify it.... in particular, the Double Team skill.

Ludicolo with 252EV HP, 252 EV Defense, 6EV Sp Defense
Rain Dish
Leftovers

Substitute
Leech Seed
Toxic
Double Team

That is what I had planned from the Battle Tower NPC, and it is the same set of moves, item, but different Ability, and I'm not sure on the stats. Double Team would certainly help me stay alive if I can't be hit, even with the Substitute, but would another skill be better there? And I'm now questioning taking Toxic, as I think I will be bringing a Tentacruel with Toxic Spikes. Rain Dance will be on 2 of my Pokemon to make sure it is active, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see my nephew bring it too. Would Toxic be smart to bring in case he uses a Water/Poison pokemon and removes them (if I understand correctly that happens when any Poison pokemon is brought out).

This is obviously a staller, designed to annoy and frustrate my nephew immensely. Would Double Team be a good choice, or something else? Toxic?
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#2Shadow1975(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2011 3:49:40 PM
And another thought, slightly related to this topic. Ludicolo can have Fling. With Rain Dish and Rain Dance active, along with Leech Seed, would Fling and an Iron Ball (I have a few extra) be a worthwhile addition? I doubt it, but since I have extra Iron Ball's, I'm quite curious about Fling. It would be a 1 time use skill though, so only one use in an entire match, correct?
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#3gbchaosmasterPosted 2/6/2011 4:38:38 PM(edited)
Yeah... I'm going to sound like a broken record:

- Use what Smogon says
- Don't use what Smogon never says (like Fling)

Double Team is brokenness and boredom packaged in the shape of a move. Don't use it unless you want your nephew to catch on and make your battles last forever and put both of you to sleep.

Also... remember you don't actually have to make one topic per question.
---
gbchaosmaster
#4WyrlwyndPosted 2/6/2011 9:32:50 PM
Double Team only has one place...on Umbreon used in the Battle Tower...it's so broken and so over centralizes all of your movesets to counter it that it turns the game, as gb said, into a snorefest...

also agreeing w/ the smogon set suggestions...people often misunderstand their sets as being too narrow of focus, but they really are tested by literally hundreds of people in all kinds of situations and are the best ideas out there...

as a casual battler, you'll still probably want to keep at least 3 of the 4 moves they suggest for a given role a Pokemon plays...you may due to whom you battle w/ want to put a specific 4th move on in place of something else, but they're tried and true in the best sense of both words...
---
Heard this exchange at my school: Teacher: "You got a 0 out of 50 on your quiz." Student: "Did that hurt my grade?"
#5Shadow1975(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2011 11:06:10 PM
So, its extremely effective at making the opponent frustrated? Broken? As in too good? This is good news to me, as it is just my nephew, so any way I can annoy and frustrate him will be fun for me. lol

I faced that trainer in the Battle Tower and was amazed that a simple Ludicolo took out my entire team, with only my starter having taken damage before facing Ludicolo. I intend to use it late, when he is weakened and out of his best pokemon. Since we are both restricted to Water pokemon only, he will have few options for moves that will be powerful against Ludicolo, another reason I decided to use it. In the Battle Tower I had Earthquake, Spark, Dragon Rush, Ice Beam, Drill Peck, and Sandstorm (obviously not the full set of moves) but none of them were Super Effective except Drill Peck, which couldn't hit Ludicolo due to the Substitute and Double Team. Any damage I dealt got healed by Leech Seed and Leftovers, so I know it is a frustrating setup..... which is what I am looking for.

So Double Team will be staying now that I hear it does work very well - thought it may have just been my poor luck.
---
#6WyrlwyndPosted 2/7/2011 5:21:35 AM
it's actually banned in competitive play...I'd caution you to NOT use it even in casual battling...
---
Heard this exchange at my school: Teacher: "You got a 0 out of 50 on your quiz." Student: "Did that hurt my grade?"
#7Shadow1975(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2011 8:45:32 AM
I don't intend on EVER playing competitively, so that isn't a worry, it isn't like I'd be learning bad habits I'd need to break. My nephews range in age from 10-18, and trust me, they are not thinking anything about competitive play either. I am still trying to get them interested in EV and breeding pokemon for more options in what they are using. Although you may not understand it, if Double Team is as 'bad' as you say, it is exactly what I want, and will help me have fun playing with my nephew..... and he may be frustrated and annoyed by it, but he will enjoy it in his own way too. And if he needs to find ways to counter it, he can learn.

But I do appreciate the info and advice, I understand your concern and reason for cautioning me against it.
---
#8MegalegPosted 2/9/2011 6:58:13 PM
Be very careful of Taunt. If Taunt is used, you have to use Struggle (or switch out) because Taunt makes you use an attacking move, and if you switch out, you will lose all boosts from Double Team.
---
Diddy Kong vs Bowser Jr. was here.
Stop confusing Koopa Kid, Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr. with each other.
#9Shadow1975(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2011 7:35:51 PM
Knowing my nephew, he would be trying to find ways to keep me from attacking, not making me attack. I understand what you are saying, but for my situation, it won't be a problem at all.
---