The topic got archived!

#431cold blue steel(Moderator)Posted 5/20/2012 4:14:14 AM
Probably need an anti-purge on this! Lost in Just Cause 2 at the moment... too sandboxy... keep getting distracted from making progress... :S
---
tant d'echecs, tant de defaites
#432Halo_ForeverPosted 5/23/2012 4:06:53 AM
Mutant and Cold Blue, if you ever get Dead Island on the X360, please do post here, the co-op shenanigans are pretty entertaining.

For my part I've been struggling with the Open Tray, with varying success, sometimes it reads without a hitch, other times take 15 tries to get the disc spinning.

As far as gaming goes I've been playing Fuel, Dead Island, a bit of Crackdown 2 and a lot of other unrelated games.

Also bought the Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings since I like CDProjekt's stance to DLC, but the game presents a bit of a dichotomy to me, while I like the more realistic take on the matter, I do feel that the game forces you to look away a few too many times, especially as your character is still badass enough to cause a change.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#433cold blue steel(Moderator)Posted 5/23/2012 9:00:59 AM
Will do on Dead Island, it's on my list :) No luck with my tip for Open Tray? I struggled with it a while ago until I found that solution, and then it's pretty much sorted itself out with the only trouble being Full Auto the other month - oh, and sometimes when I change discs while it's booting, it doesn't like that. Well, hopefully it's not fatal for you and sorts like mine did somehow :)

I did try joining your Crackdown 2 a coupla weeks back but looks like you don't have the freebie version of the toy box thing, so my game's not compatible. My friend & I are still after any 4p stuff (Tac Loc takedown, I think, and the four players driving a battle bus through a stunt ring), plus we luuuuuurves us some Crackdown, so give us a shout if you need any extra pairs of cybernetic hands stinking up your game (we both have toy box, he has deluge too but I don't think it affects the campaign game).

Still gotta Fuel of course, just not sure when :/ And still gotta do your RF:G thing. And EDF. Wow. I am still hammering JC2, got one more mission done within 10+ hours of messing around :S
---
#434Mutant1988Posted 5/23/2012 11:47:05 PM
"Mutant and Cold Blue, if you ever get Dead Island on the X360"

Sorry to say, but don't count on me for that. I have the game for PC and have already finished it and pretty much played it to the extent I'd want, it doesn't really have anything left to offer me.

"Still gotta Fuel of course, just not sure when :/ And still gotta do your RF:G thing. And EDF. Wow. I am still hammering JC2, got one more mission done within 10+ hours of messing around :S"

For JC2, that's a reasonable ratio of mission to free play.

The campaign is not terribly long, but it's quite spectacular. So don't feel too bad about not progressing fast enough, because you'll probably enjoy it more if you hold it of for a while.

And there's so much free play here that you'll appreciate the break from it offered by the campaign and faction missions.

Anyway, I haven't touched my 360 for weeks now. Instead I've been playing stuff on PSP and PC.

For PSP, it's been Gods Eater Burst and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (And a little bit of The Third Birthday) and for PC, I've pretty much only played Payday with some American friends.

There's just nothing I feel like playing on the 360 and honestly, not a lot of upcoming releases that interest me (Might get Metro Last Lights and Aliens Colonial Marines, can't think of anything else right now).

Honestly, I think I'm close to giving up on the 360 as a multiplayer console. The price for Live just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

I'd rather take that money and save up for a PS3 to be honest. Because these days, I do think that platform has enough exclusive titles to warrant a purchase.

But before that, there's still a ton of PSP games I'd like to get. Got a friend to co-op a bunch of them with, which makes those games more interesting to me right now.

And school ends soon, so I won't get any more student benefit. So I probably won't have as much money to spend on games and stuff, unless I manage to find a job.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#435cold blue steel(Moderator)Posted 5/24/2012 1:19:48 AM
PS3 definitely seems worth picking up, I've been drooling over the cheaper old exclusives myself ;) But jeez, *more* games to play? Would be sad to see you give up on Live, but you're right that if nothing much interests you, Live is a pricey waste :(

I'd noticed JC2 is pretty short on the main missions, figured that, like you say, interspersing the samey activities of exploring and races and settlement completion with the odd mission was a good way to keep things mixed up. Not touched any faction missions yet, only the strongholds, so not sure how interesting they will be.
---
#436Halo_ForeverPosted 5/24/2012 2:15:19 AM
^Yeah I've been thinking of a PS3 too, but the Dual Shock controllers are kind of keeping me away, I can't tolerate them. Also when I already have 170 game backlog on the X360 alone, I may have reached the point where I don't need another console's backlog added to the current one (even counting the family backlog there is still 85 games that haven't been completed by anyone).
---
#437Mutant1988Posted 5/24/2012 4:33:22 AM
"Yeah I've been thinking of a PS3 too, but the Dual Shock controllers are kind of keeping me away, I can't tolerate them."

I like the Dualshock design. Can't say I'm a fan of the convex triggers of the PS3 controller though. That's just terrible design.

"Also when I already have 170 game backlog on the X360 alone, I may have reached the point where I don't need another console's backlog added to the current one (even counting the family backlog there is still 85 games that haven't been completed by anyone)."

I don't think that's a major issue really. I think the games you'd get would probably be exclusives you would want to play, rather than just buy and have disappear into your backlog.

Neither console has that many exclusives. Most of the games for both are multi-platform.

I'll post my entire list of PS3 games that interest me:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Valkyria Chronicles
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Little Big Planet 2
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
Batman Arkham Asylum (For the exclusive Joker content)
Demon's Souls
Another Century's Episode: R
Disgaea 3
Disgaea 4
Twisted Metal
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza: Dead Souls
Cross Edge
Folktale
House of the Dead: Overkill - The Extended Cut
The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Vampire Rain: Altered Species
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Not released outside Japan yet, but looks intruiging)
Infamous
Infamous 2

That are honestly most of the exclusives (And a few that aren't, but that I still plan to get for the PS3 rather than 360, like MGS:HD and Batman AA. Vampire Rain is one of those ridiculously bad games that I'm fascinated with, and the PS3 version has some exclusive content).

So yeah, I don't think you'll add substantially to your backlog. If the games interest you, it's probably worth getting a PS3. I will, as soon as I can afford one.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#438Halo_ForeverPosted 5/24/2012 5:32:29 AM
Mutant1988 posted...

I like the Dualshock design. Can't say I'm a fan of the convex triggers of the PS3 controller though. That's just terrible design.

I've never mained a controller with their stick set up (Xbox, GC, and X360 all have it differently). Additionally those thumbsticks. Grrrrrrr. I've tried playing shooters with them, but it feels like I'd be in the kid clinging to your back section in Metro 2033 constantly. I overaim and overmove constantly (I've been annually asking the PS3 board if they know of any controllers resembling the X360 controllers) .

I don't think that's a major issue really. I think the games you'd get would probably be exclusives you would want to play, rather than just buy and have disappear into your backlog.

You assume way too much rationality in my game playing. I haven't even started Red Dead Redemption yet (had it since September 2011), but I have played through Bullet Witch four times.

I'd probably end up owning the Uncharted trilogy and ignoring it to play through Lair a bunch of times.
---
#439cold blue steel(Moderator)Posted 5/24/2012 5:44:17 AM
I think the games you'd get would probably be exclusives you would want to play, rather than just buy and have disappear into your backlog.

Uh... give me another console and I will buy games for it that will just end up on the pile, it's how I operate. No way would I only buy PS3 stuff that I really want and really will play, I'll just buy anything that would look good on the pile. Plus there is already such a backlog of PS3 exclusives that can be gotten cheap, that's like a ready-made pile right there, just waiting for an excuse to be bought.

convex triggers of the PS3 controller
Coke got himself little add-ons that extend L2/R2 and make them concave, seems like a sensible idea to make them feel more like triggers and less like shoulder buttons. I'm fine with the Dualshock, used to it at least, but designs like the 360, XB controller-S, & DC pads always felt somehow more luxurious... good for driving games too, Dualshock makes me wanna X-accelerate, []-gas like the old days :S

List looks good though I don't care for the Disgaeas and don't know whether to be interested in Yakuza. I gotta try Mag too though, and Warhawk, and SOCOM, Haze, Uncharteds. Motorstorms, Genji, Heavenly Sword, and some random co-op hack n slashes I see whenever I browse the cheap PS3 aisle. Ready-made backlog right there! :D

Vampire Rain... I should play more of it but it really felt like I needed to have plenty of time to make the most of it, and that's before I've got to anything at all tough in it :S
---
#440Mutant1988Posted 5/24/2012 6:18:38 AM
Man, there's been a lot of activity in this topic today. Are you guys as bored as me today or what?

As far as asymmetric stick layout for PS3 controllers go, I found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FPDF4I/ref=asc_df_B005FPDF4I7997597/?tag=pricerunner_se5-21&creative=22378&creativeASIN=B005FPDF4I&linkCode=asn

"You assume way too much rationality in my game playing."

Yeah... Where the hell did I get that idea from, expecting rationality? ;P

"List looks good though I don't care for the Disgaeas and don't know whether to be interested in Yakuza."

I love SRPGs, so I'd definitely be getting Disgaea. A bit annoyed by the formulaic design that Nippon Ichi uses though, regarding characters and plot. Always zany with a ton of crossovers (From games I haven't played, that's the main issue) and the same kind of gameplay with one or two tweaks and gimmicks.

To be fair, the gimmicks usually add a whole new dimension to the games. Disgaea games actively encourage cheating the mechanics, like stacking characters on exits to give multiple characters bonuses, instead of one, or moving a character to assist another, and then undoing their movement (Any move can be reset, as long as they don't attack). And the whole geo-panel thing (Different coloured tiles given properties from geo-stones placed in them) is rather engaging and requires a fair bit of thought to use to your advantage (Especially if you aim for a bonus reward by breaking all the geo panels, by breaking the geo-stones and causing an explosive chain reaction).

The Yakuza games are great. Extremely satisfying beat em ups with a good story to boot. Got the first two for PS2 and from what I've read, the latter installments are equally good, even if they ramp up the silliness a bit (Extremely dramatic cellphone texting for example and a greater assortment of really silly minigames).

"I gotta try Mag too though, and Warhawk, and SOCOM, Haze, Uncharteds. Motorstorms, Genji, Heavenly Sword, and some random co-op hack n slashes I see whenever I browse the cheap PS3 aisle. Ready-made backlog right there! :D"

That doesn't sound so bad. And multiplaform titles would end up in your backlog anyway. ;P

But okay, I get what you're both saying. Even so, if anyone of us do decide to get a PS3, I expect the others to follow suit, so that we can play multiplayer with eachother.

Deal?

Well, I say that, even though I know that I'll probably be the last one to do so. Terrible at saving money. ;P
---