"Your system does not have enough RAM or virtual memory to run the game..."

#1cadillacactorPosted 1/21/2009 7:43:50 AM
"...Please close any additional programs that may be running or increase your virtual memory settings. If you wish to add additional RAM, please contact your computer manufactureer for any necessary assistance."

The title and above statements complete the Warning I get when trying to play Fable: The Lost Chapters.

My laptop is only a few months old. Here are the specs:
Gateway P-6860FX
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
Memory (RAM): 4.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS (Details - ForceWare version: 167.46; Total Available Graphics - 2203 MB; Dedicated Video Memory - 512 MB; System video memory - 0 MB; Shared system memory - 1791 MB)
Windows Vista 64-bit OS (SP1)

Of course when we purchased it, it was billed as the "New best gaming laptop!" I mean, I can run Oblivion flawlessly! On the other hand, being inept beyond installing the game and playing or opening a word processor, I clicked the option to "Continue Anyway". I could have also gone with "Continue in Safe Mode" or "Exit", but I just had to try this game out. Once I clicked Continue Anyway I had no problems going through up to the melee training with Whisper. At that point I quit playing and went back to work.

My question, am I damaging anything by clicking "Continue Anyway"? My second question, how am I possibly getting this error message with 4GB RAM on the system? Thanks in advance for any help! I appreciate it!
---
"There is truly nothing funnier in life then using your Z key to roll a dead grizzly down a big hill, try it some time." - damogamo
#2NikanoruGirlPosted 1/21/2009 8:58:02 AM
I have the same problem, and the game works for me just fine if I press Continue Anyway.

My only guess is that the game can't properly detect some computer settings while running under a 64bit operating system.

I haven't had any problems with the game whatsoever and I've beaten it twice now.
---
I am not a girl.
#3cadillacactor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2009 11:52:06 AM
Ok, that's a relief. Thanks a bunch!
---
"There is truly nothing funnier in life then using your Z key to roll a dead grizzly down a big hill, try it some time." - damogamo
#4Birk777Posted 1/23/2009 2:14:57 PM
It's a common problem with Vista, and as far as I know, it can't be fixed like it can on XP. It tends to work just fine anyway.
---
www.whatsupguy.com - Let's face it, you're not doing anything important anyway.
#5BlinkerBoyPosted 1/23/2009 2:26:26 PM
This game HATES 64 bit processors and 64 bit Operating Systems.

But itll work. One way to not get this message anymore is to run the application with compatibility mode set to XP (SP2).

I have a practically identical setup as you, and thats how I fixed the problem.
---
"Suicide hotline.....please hold."
#6cadillacactor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2009 7:42:14 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate it. And I'm glad to find that it's more harmless than anything. Cheers.
---
#7arryan_spritzPosted 2/13/2009 4:08:39 PM
i had the same problem, then i tried to reinstall it then it worked, try it out

"i am so amazing, i'm falling in love with my self ! Oh"
#8cadillacactor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2009 11:47:53 AM
Will do. Thanks.

Wait, that won't mess up my saves right? If I back them up in a different location. I'm pretty far in the game as it is.

---