First Spore review is out!

#1darklord888Posted 8/19/2008 4:21:56 PM

It's from PC PowerPlay. They do good reviews so they aren't one of those Lair: 9/10 mags.

Pros:

Limitless custom content
Varied types of gameplay
No more Sims #1!

Cons:
Not deep enough
All about the creator
Designed for Non-gamers

Overall: Awesome in scope, mainstream in depth. 9/10

9/10 is great but...lack of depth? Designed for non-gamers? That's pretty disappointing.

Here are some bits:

"Spore is a far better game than The Sims ever was"
"Spore is an incredible experiance but it doesn't quite live up to all that it said it would"
"The occasional UFO sighting becomes all the cooler when YOU eventually get to be the UFO"
"For Spore to work you really need to be playing it as one continuous game, instead of seperate stages. If you play them in isolation, you're bound to end up dissapointed."
"In many ways the gameplay of creature takes some of the worst aspects of games like WoW and Diablo"

#2NeonivekPosted 8/19/2008 4:30:19 PM
Nothing surprises me here except that it got a 9 (Very high IMO)
---
Gamefaqs/Gamespot Sporepedia Tag= GFAQS
Sporepedia: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-Neonivek
#3OztralienPosted 8/19/2008 4:43:39 PM
im expecting a 10 from ign.com ...they usually know how to pick the revolutionary games and give them a 10...and this IS definitely a revolutionary game.
---
"yea i picked up vanilla ice by the ankles, then i dangled him over the balcony like a doo rag"-suge knight
#4solo-chaosPosted 8/19/2008 4:43:48 PM

i got say i thought they'd be way better...... oh well maybe i'll think diffrent:?

#5SqueetsPosted 8/19/2008 4:52:47 PM

What kind of review is that?

It doesn't talk about gameplay mechanics, story, anything... "Play the big thing or you won't have fun", "Way better than the Sims"... that about somes it up...

I give that review a fail/10... Worst review of a game ever...

#6freded1234Posted 8/19/2008 5:14:04 PM
how are peaple nit posting in this
it was just tidbits of the whole review not the whole thing and its problay a big fay lie couse ea probaly told en what to wright couse they got the game first
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7GastroidPosted 8/19/2008 5:45:58 PM
"In many ways the gameplay of creature takes some of the worst aspects of games like WoW and Diablo

That is not shocking in the very least. Creature phase looks like it has too many things it is trying to do, which correlates to it doing worse at each of those tasks.

Original, simple idea: Creature becomes hungry, go kill something and eat it. Hunger no longer a problem for the time being.

Idea that tries to do too much: Migrate your creature to a new nesting site, where you leave the nest to find a pack of a easy creature slightly outside of your area, followed by even tougher creatures. Killing one of the small creatures gives you 2 hunger points and 6 DNA points. Larger creatures will kill you, as they act like a boundary between further sites. Fish are in fishing hotspots and animals to kill in the hunting hotspots!
---
Proud owner of the original beatin' stick of joy.
#8LippyPosted 8/19/2008 6:13:50 PM
Yeah, I'm really surprised at the 9/10 considering the what they said about it. Hrm.

Except for the score, nothing surprising about the review.

---
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Lippy
#9Evildude101Posted 8/19/2008 6:18:09 PM
Is there a link to the full review?
---
Check out my Spore creatures because I have nothing better to put in my sig!
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Evildude
#10darklord888(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2008 10:17:49 PM
Squeets posted...

What kind of review is that?

It doesn't talk about gameplay mechanics, story, anything... "Play the big thing or you won't have fun", "Way better than the Sims"... that about somes it up...

I give that review a fail/10... Worst review of a game ever...

Umm, the review is 5 pages long. I only quoted a few bits. You don't honestly think that was the full review?