I lost the disk...

#1Black_FatalisPosted 7/15/2009 10:22:00 AM
But I still have the activation code. Is there any way for me to somehow download the game for free if I have the code?
---
Dragon of Irrelevant Things
#2NitefoxPosted 7/16/2009 1:57:07 PM
funny i have a similar problem. I have the activation code and no disc, how do i install it without shelling out another $40 to EA

basically bump
#3ItchyFleaPosted 7/16/2009 5:33:09 PM
I also have a similar problem, and contacted EA about it.
Needless to say they were less than helpful by asking me to send them the results of running DxDiag on my system.
How that relates to the question I asked them of "Is there anywhere I could download the game" (paraphrased) is beyond me. But I've given them that info and haven't heard from them since.

---
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway... Get the message?
"Life is short" - No it's not, its the longest thing anyone can do. Other than ''Exist''.
#4ItchyFleaPosted 7/19/2009 2:26:44 AM
Well, after repeated attempts to get help from EA I've gone and borrowed the disc from a friend.
So now I have Spore reinstalled.

However, I hope that I never have to get help from EA ever again. They sent me instructions on how to send the information they wanted to them, so I followed those instructions.
They replied by saying they didn't get the information. (It was to be contained WITHIN the email, not as an attachment) So I resent the email. After receiving two more emails with them saying they didn't get the information, I sent the email with an attachment, and got the same result.
Apparently EA doesn't read the email's they receive, otherwise they would have noticed the fact that they did in fact receive the info.

What I'm saying is; I will NEVER tell somebody here to try and contact of EA for help. They are ******* useless. I even tried resubmitting the question to their help team, and they replied by telling me to send the disc to them. Even though I stated that the disc was missing.

From now on, if I ever lose this copy, instead of taking the time to borrow it from a friend who isn't exactly close by, I'll just use other methods. Better that than receiving the exact same email multiple times from different people at EA (Who all gave instructions exactly the same as the first email on how to send the info to them)

---
"Life is short" - No it's not, its the longest thing anyone can do. Other than ''Exist''.
#5arleasPosted 7/21/2009 1:22:12 PM
And this is precisely why I bought on Steam. I don't have to worry about losing a disc or number of activations or securom.

BTW: I totally agree with you about EA tech support being the next best thing to smacking yourself in the head with a ball-peen hammer. I had found a bug with an early copy of "The Sims 2" and I wrote to tell them about it and to see if they had a fix planned or if there was something I could do to fix it, and instead I got the run-around for about 2 weeks, and after numerous complaints they finally suggested that I send them the game so they could send me an unopened copy that I could return to the retail store for a refund.

NOTE: I never asked for a refund, and in fact I was enjoying the game except for the bug. They would never acknowledge that the bug existed even after providing proof in numerous ways, and the stuff they suggested I do had little to do with fixing the problem and had mostly to do with hoping the problem would go away on its own (even though I could reproduce the bug at will).

I bet a simple google search for EA SUCKS would result in thousands of reasons why from other people
---
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/arleas.png
http://www.tf2newbs.com/hlstatsx/sig-31453-random.png
#6maiorano84Posted 7/21/2009 9:50:38 PM
EA Download Manager has a way of downloading a digital copy of the game as long as you have the key. Just go into the Download Manager, Log In, click on your Activation Tab, and enter your license key. It's surprising that EA wouldn't have simply told you to do this instead of giving you the runaround. More than likely, all of their switchboard people probably don't even know they work for a gaming company.
#7ItchyFleaPosted 7/22/2009 1:09:33 AM
Thank-you for telling us all that maiorano84

No, they didn't tell me such a thing was possible, even though one of my many questions to them asked that exact question!

But now that everybody here knows this, maybe we all won't have to worry too much about such a thing happening in the future.
So again, thank-you.

---
#8Black_Fatalis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2009 5:09:05 AM
Damnit, when I try download manager, it says that the key is already in use.
---
Dragon of Irrelevant Things
#9ItchyFleaPosted 7/23/2009 4:49:51 PM
I really shouldn't say this but you could try downloading the game from a "different" source. But only do that as a last resort.
I hate to say it but you could also try contacting EA; and if you do, Goodluck.

---
#10maiorano84Posted 7/23/2009 5:14:48 PM
Keep in mind too that EA has provided a DeAuthorization Tool to free up a slot on a particular machine. Try running that and see if you can then use your license key again. You can find it at: spore.com/patch/deauthorization