Minamoto Yoshitsune campaign challenge

#11bulgarian_kidPosted 5/21/2011 10:12:44 PM
You use my strategy to get 8 days in River Crossings? :D
---
Anybody wants to front, they can get hit like a mother****ing blunt.
#12obiwankenobi246Posted 5/22/2011 12:22:44 PM
I tried it once, had no idea what I was doing, and failed badly. But the next time, I got 9 days. I was stupid and let a few enemy units get into some forests or something at the edge of the map so it took an extra turn to take them down. I could have gotten 8, but was too lazy to do it again. It works really well if you know what you are doing, though. Thanks!
---
They say you never know what you've got until its gone
#13bulgarian_kidPosted 5/22/2011 2:42:32 PM(edited)
Since we're copy-pasting, here's what happened in the last topic:

iloveaoe: You really got 3 stars in 8 days? Good job.

Me: Yeah, I changed up my tactics. Instead of splitting up my forces evenly I sent all my samurai and light cav along with one crossbowmen and Minamoto to the north bridge, made quick work of those guys, and rushed the main force and was able to take them all out by day 8 (you just have to make sure yoritomo [sp?] doesn't run away). The rest of my forces (2 pikes, 2 crossbows, 2 scout cav, 1 skirmisher) slowly took out the enemies at the west bridge. Just remember to hold all bridges at the end and that's 3 stars in 8 days.

Hope that helps anyone struggling!

---
#14iloveaoe(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2011 6:38:58 AM
Yes, bulgarian_kid, I think I mostly followed your strategy to get the 8 days result on Battle of the River Crossings--thanks! The strategy *shouldn't* work, as the enemy has much stronger forces in the West. But luckily the enemy does stupid things like attacking my pikemen on the bridge with their cavalry, instead of with their infantry.
#15bulgarian_kidPosted 5/23/2011 12:29:13 PM
Well, in all fairness ANY strategy used to get the minimum number of days possible "shouldn't" work because part of it will be taking advantage of the AI.
---
#16iloveaoe(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 6:35:30 AM
Yeah, I definitely didn't mean my comment as a criticism of your strategy, and of course you're right that we are always taking advantage of the AI's weaknesses. But this case seems to be extreme to me, where I send a group of units that are clearly inferior to the enemy, and should easily get wiped from the map, but instead the enemy not only doesn't fight well, but also fights totally stupidly, seemingly almost *trying* to get beaten.
#17bulgarian_kidPosted 6/5/2011 10:32:03 PM(edited)
For Yashima, check out what I posted all the way back in Feb '08:

I remeber a topic about this mission, but it's been purged.

The easiest way to beat this is to be aggressive. But you have to be smart and not make mistakes.

Take down the nearest town as quickly as possible, then concentrate on the south town. Try to build a castle as quickly as possible to stop the emporers forces at the bridge when they attack.
(http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927039-age-of-empires-the-age-of-kings/41158593)

I wish the older topics hadn't been wiped out, there was some good stuff in them.
---