The OFFICIAL "Tech Questions" - "Will My PC Run Half-Life 2: Aftermath" Thread

#1SentinelrvPosted 4/17/2005 10:48:21 PMmessage detail

This thread is based off of the unconfirmed fact that Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Aftermath will have the same hardware requirements.

Below are the Minimum and Preferred requirments for your PC to run Half-Life 2: Aftermath. These specs were posted by Gabe Newell at the HLfallout forums, so they are the true specs you need to run the game. Also, there is a game advisor that was created by Microsoft to scan your PC and tell you if you can run certain games.

Since Half-Life 2: Aftermath is not listed in this program, use the Windows XP Game Advisor to tell you if you can run Half-Life 2. That should give you your answer since the requirements will probably be the same between both games...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/gameadvisor/default.mspx

Before posting your PC specs and asking us whether your computer will run Half-Life 2: Aftermath, please look at the Minimum and Preferred specs below. If your PC meets the minimum requirements, you might want to upgrade a little bit for the game to run better. If your PC meets the preferred requirements, you should run the game smoothly. If your PC is above the preferred requirements, then congratulations, because your PC was made to run Half-Life 2 perfectly. Remember, if your PC is in between the Minimum and preferred Requirements, or above them, you WILL be able to run Half-Life 2. It is just a matter of HOW well the game will run.

Minimum Requirements:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

Preferred Requirements:
2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard

---

Also, please visit www.headcrabunion.com, Gamespot's # 1 source for Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and mod news.

#2Sentinelrv(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2005 10:48:57 PMmessage detail
Now to get this thread stickied on this board also.........
#3Sentinelrv(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2005 8:40:08 AMmessage detail
There we go!
#4GyRo567Posted 4/18/2005 3:18:45 PMmessage detail
Since the preferred requirements don't get you running it maxed out, here's the maximum requirements, or something very close to them...

3 Ghz CPU
768 MB RAM
9800 Pro/6600 GT

Those are somewhat flexible too, since Half-Life▓ relies on all three a lot. For example, you could have a 9600 XT with an Athlon 64 3600+ run the game with maximum details, AA/AF and resolution pretty well.
However, a well balanced PC will still perform better, and those are the preferred specifications if you want to max out settings.
---
sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love. ~Nater255
#5SeikenDensetsuIIIPosted 4/19/2005 1:39:08 AMmessage detail
Hey Sentinelrv, three PC questions please, of course they will run but _how good?_

Pentium 4 2.54 GHz
Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB
768 MB RAM

========

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Radeon x700 PRO 128 MB
1 GB RAM

=========

Pentium 4 3.4 GHz
nVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB
2 GB RAM

Thanks guys.
---
F.E.A.R. = Second most anticipated game this year...
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. = Most anticipated game ever...
#6GyRo567Posted 4/19/2005 10:27:05 AMmessage detail
The lower two will max the game out in detail, AA/AF and resolution - if you have the monitor to support 1600x1200 that is.

The first one will probably only achieve either 1600x1200 without AA/AF or 1280x960 with medium AA/AF. Or if for some reason you just love going with a standard 1024x768 you'll max out the Anti-Aliasing and Anisotrophic Filtering quite easily on that resolution.
However, you might not have a godly framerate due to CPU constraints with any AA or AF on, so expect 30-50 FPS range.
---
sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love. ~Nater255
#7SeikenDensetsuIIIPosted 4/19/2005 11:16:16 AMmessage detail
Thanks GyRo567, you rock ;]

Oh yeah, I always play games on 1024x768 :D
---
F.E.A.R. = Second most anticipated game this year...
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. = Most anticipated game ever...
#8How to be freakyPosted 4/20/2005 3:52:58 AMmessage detail
Just a word of caution, don't put a whole lot of stock on what the game advisor says. Sometimes it can be a good indicator of how you PC will run a game, but other times (depending on the parts in your PC) it wont show anything near right.
---
Official Robin III, arguably the world's best detective in the making, on the C&GN board.
#9Milly manPosted 4/20/2005 10:51:28 AMmessage detail
Hi, ym PC plays HL2 at mixed setting with some stuff on high and a few on medium and stuff but how well should this run Aftermath?

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06Ghz
1.00Gb
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Total Hard Drive=127GB
Available Hard Drive=93.4Gb

Do you need any more info?

BTW my video card is MOBLITY because my PC literally is a computer monitor with all the stuff shoved into the back so it is like a fat flat screen PC
---
\»\/»/ |» ) /»/\»\ \»\/»/ Now playing: The Sims 2 University, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos
/_/\_\ |_ ) \_\/_/ /_/\_\ Theory|XBL Gamertag: Major Stupidity
#10Tiger5792Posted 4/20/2005 3:27:23 PMmessage detail

It should play it, but It may not play it ver well, If it plays HL2 then it will most likely play Aftermath.

Milly man posted...
Hi, ym PC plays HL2 at mixed setting with some stuff on high and a few on medium and stuff but how well should this run Aftermath?

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06Ghz
1.00Gb
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Total Hard Drive=127GB
Available Hard Drive=93.4Gb

Do you need any more info?

BTW my video card is MOBLITY because my PC literally is a computer monitor with all the stuff shoved into the back so it is like a fat flat screen PC
---
\»\/»/ |» ) /»/\»\ \»\/»/ Now playing: The Sims 2 University, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos
/_/\_\ |_ ) \_\/_/ /_/\_\ Theory|XBL Gamertag: Major Stupidity