This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can play arcade games offline right?

#1SCREAMINGBEATSSPosted 4/25/2012 5:51:31 AM
I just moved to a new apartment and don't have Internet yet, but I wanted to get Trials EVO, so I just went back to my friends house and used their live to download it (on my HD and gamer tag of course, just used thir console so I didn't have to carry mine) and bought it/downloaded it to my HD, but it kind of hit me that I may not be able to play it without a wifi connection, I never didn't have XBL before so I never tested this. Any word on how that works?
---
Hahascream
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8391/hahascream.png
#2Optimus_ConvoyPosted 4/25/2012 5:55:20 AM
The only games you must be logged in to XBL to play are indie games. I think it may be the same with original xbox games as well, or maybe it was you can't be in party chat for xbox originals. I've never played any so you'll want a second opinion on this one.
---
UMVC 3 = overrated garbage, KoF XIII = Beast
"The Highlander was a Documentary and it's events happened in real time" -Master Shake
#3FoppePosted 4/25/2012 6:00:45 AM
This is how their DRM works...
The license is stored on both the hardware it's bought on and your gamertag.
Everybody can use it on the hardware it was bought on.
If you try to use it on another hardware, like your own system because you used your friends hardware while buying it, then you must be logged in on Live with the gamertag that bought it to use it.
You can move the license to your hardware, it does however require you to be connected to Xbox Live with your console and logging in on xbox.com from a computer. You were able to do a license transfer once a year, they did however change it to... I think it's once every third or fourth month now...
So if you wanna play those games offline, you better move your system to your friend and borrow his computer.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#4SCREAMINGBEATSS(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2012 6:05:25 AM
Wait what is drm? And you're saying I won't be able to play my stuff unless I lug my console across the city to his house?
---
Hahascream
#5FoppePosted 4/25/2012 6:10:13 AM
DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale.
You know how we were forced to write down a CD Key after installing PC games and each key was unique and nobody else could use the same key while playing online? Same thing.
Yes, you wont be able to play your XBLA games offline unless you do a license transfer.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#6SCREAMINGBEATSS(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2012 6:55:54 AM
Okay, we got my console, and I read on the site that you can DRM transfer via the console, so.. how exactly can I do that? Sorry for the stupidity, I thought everything was tied to your HDD (where you download the game too) and your GT so you can't just share it with everyone. This is a giant pain in the ass.
---
Hahascream
#7Neo1661Posted 4/25/2012 6:58:42 AM

You can move the license to your hardware, it does however require you to be connected to Xbox Live with your console and logging in on xbox.com from a computer.

Nope. You can do through console as well now.
---
Six shots fired in London, all missed.
Police are looking to question Fernando Torres.
#8darkmakyuaPosted 4/25/2012 7:09:44 AM
The only games you can't play offline are indy and certain Arcade games like Gotham City Imposters, Breach, etc. As for XBOX, you can play them offline but either way, you'll be signed out and offline until you go back to the dashboard(you'll also only get two options when pressinge the guide button;Y=Xbox home and 'shut down consle').
---
#9Super CreaturesPosted 4/25/2012 1:36:16 PM
To do a license transfer from your console, go to the Settings tab, go to Account, and it is the bottom option on the first tab.

Also, the limit is 120 days, except under special circumstances and you call Xbox support to initiate one.

As for starting one from a pc, I don't even think that is possible anymore, unless I was just blind and missed it when I was looking around a few weeks ago (was trying to find out how long I had until I could do another one without having to go to my bedroom, turn on my 360, and wait for it to boot, since I was already on a computer), all the info on xbox.com I could find simply told me to do it through my 360.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.