This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does 360 play .mp4 movies?

#31Kurgan777Posted 6/1/2012 10:12:34 PM
Ned_Mandingo posted...
If the file is encoded with h.264 you can rename the extension to .avi and it will play fine on the xbox 360.

The xbox does not support AC3 audio, so some may need converting/transcoding to play on the xbox 360.

Again I have no problems with any of the TV shows i get from the net playing on the xbox after renaming.

1. I tested this, this does NOT WORK.

2. The files I have that don't work are H264 MP4-AVC video with AAC audio, they don't work no matter what file extension is used.

3. Did you bother testing those TV shows BEFORE you renamed the file extension? Odds are, they would have worked....
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#32Ned_MandingoPosted 6/2/2012 6:27:37 AM
Kurgan777 posted...
Ned_Mandingo posted...
If the file is encoded with h.264 you can rename the extension to .avi and it will play fine on the xbox 360.

The xbox does not support AC3 audio, so some may need converting/transcoding to play on the xbox 360.

Again I have no problems with any of the TV shows i get from the net playing on the xbox after renaming.

1. I tested this, this does NOT WORK.

2. The files I have that don't work are H264 MP4-AVC video with AAC audio, they don't work no matter what file extension is used.

3. Did you bother testing those TV shows BEFORE you renamed the file extension? Odds are, they would have worked....

They do not show up on the Xbox unless they are renamed. I have never had a .mp4 list on my Xbox. I am using windows media connect on windows xp. WMC could be my issue, but I'm not having any issues playing .mp4 files renamed.
---
You gotta pay the troll toll.
#33infinitexxPosted 6/2/2012 6:44:21 AM
You can play an .mp4 encoded with x.264 without renaming the file. I don't know why you would want to do that.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#34Kurgan777Posted 6/2/2012 10:46:57 PM
Ned_Mandingo posted...
They do not show up on the Xbox unless they are renamed. I have never had a .mp4 list on my Xbox. I am using windows media connect on windows xp. WMC could be my issue, but I'm not having any issues playing .mp4 files renamed.

You need the updated Media Update if you can't even see MP4 files at all, I can see them just fine on mine.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#35Ned_MandingoPosted 6/3/2012 6:40:52 AM(edited)
Kurgan777 posted...
Ned_Mandingo posted...

You need the updated Media Update if you can't even see MP4 files at all, I can see them just fine on mine.

Wait... There is another media update? When did it come out and can I get it off the marketplace?

If I were to delete the other media update will the xbox download the new one automatically?

Edit

Windows media connect on xp does not support .mp4, that would be the reason I had to rename the extension to .avi.
---
You gotta pay the troll toll.