This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know how xbox can read external hard drives?

#1gdogfolifePosted 6/6/2012 1:51:43 AM
Bought a 1TB but when i insert it, the portable device part turn darker to say its actually in. All my other small flash drives work. I only want to play movies off it, NOT to reformat it for game storage.
#2boolzeroPosted 6/6/2012 6:35:38 AM(edited)
Are you trying to use it as a memory device like a memory card or do are you using it as a drive to watch files from?

If trying to use as a memory card, the drive has to partition a section of the drive of. Also the drive has to the Fat32 file format not NTFS. Attach the blank drive to a computer, download a program call SwissKnife 3.22 (free) and format the drive in FAT32. Windows won't format drives that large in FAT32 if you are wondering...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#3SheepinatorPosted 6/6/2012 6:35:54 AM
External storage is limited to 16GB. I assume you can have the 360 partition a larger drive, but the 360 will only look at 16GB.
#4Nate_DihldorffPosted 6/6/2012 6:54:25 AM
Sheepinator posted...
External storage is limited to 16GB. I assume you can have the 360 partition a larger drive, but the 360 will only look at 16GB.

Came to say this.
---
http://kotaku.com/5811665/2011-is-all-about-the-gun-barrels
#5Super CreaturesPosted 6/6/2012 1:14:35 PM
Except, that doesn't apply to what the TC is asking about.

If you two had actually bothered to read the TC's post, you would have noticed he was asking about using it to access media on the drive, NOT for use by the 360 as an MU.

In the case of accessing media on a device, there is no limitation, except for the device's capacity, and there is nothing that involves the 360 partitioning the device.

As boolzero mentioned, the drive must be formatted as FAT32, and not NTFS, the 360 will not work with any other format (except maybe other FAT formats).

Problem with this is that FAT32 does not allow file sizes over 4GB.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.