This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Xbox 360 support NTFS hard drives? Anything other than FAT32?

#1ShatterStrPosted 7/3/2012 11:06:53 PM
I got some files that are over 4GBs and want to watch them on my 360 but I can't put them on my FAT32 external hard drive. If I were to format my external hard drive differently, like NTFS, would the xbox recognize it?
#2CapwnDPosted 7/3/2012 11:15:32 PM
Stream from PC. Or format FAT32.
---
Thrash Zone
#3FoppePosted 7/3/2012 11:16:08 PM
Nope.
You have to either split up the file or stream it from your PC.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#4ShatterStr(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2012 11:19:03 PM
Well its not that big a deal, but any word if the Xbox 720 on PS4 will support other formats? Can't really rely on stream at the moment....
#5FoppePosted 7/3/2012 11:27:19 PM
We don't even know which hardware they will use.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#6BobbyHillSwagPosted 7/4/2012 5:42:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7wolf_blitzer85Posted 7/4/2012 5:45:00 AM
BobbyHillSwag posted...
xbox 360 hardrive support sucks ass period, only allowing up to 16gb external

16GB? What is this, 1994?
---
Now thats what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale I saved to HDD. When my kids learn to read I'll say Kids THIS is what a cool story should look like
#8EoinPosted 7/4/2012 6:05:25 AM
ShatterStr posted...
Well its not that big a deal, but any word if the Xbox 720 on PS4 will support other formats? Can't really rely on stream at the moment....

I'd bet that they wouldn't. It's not like the PS3 and Xbox 360 are only supporting FAT32 because of power issues - they clearly far exceed the capability level needed for NTFS. In other words, whatever is stopping them from supporting NTFS is likely to apply next generation as well.
#9CapwnDPosted 7/4/2012 9:18:45 AM
I was going to respond to BobbyHillSwag's lack of keeping up with the conversation, but then I noticed that he's an alt troll who's just suiciding his account.
---
Thrash Zone
#10wolf_blitzer85Posted 7/5/2012 10:55:12 AM
CaPwnD posted...
I was going to respond to BobbyHillSwag's lack of keeping up with the conversation, but then I noticed that he's an alt troll who's just suiciding his account.

Troll defeated.
+5000 gold
+20 HP
you get item "SwagTrollTicket"

but ahem, i think the reason with the HDD confusion is FAT32 has the most compatibility if the data needs to be moved to a PC or a MAC (or Unix, for that matter).
From the standpoint of that reason, it makes sense to keep using FAT32.
Other than that, NTFS is Windows only (Unix can read from it) and poses a disadvantage only in compatibility.

Actually, I have no idea why MS would not want to use NTFS drives.
Someone explain?
---
Now thats what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale I saved to HDD. When my kids learn to read I'll say Kids THIS is what a cool story should look like