This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much data does a serious Xbox gamer use monthly?

#1ADG_Snake99Posted 8/24/2012 11:19:34 AM
I ask because we have a limited data plan and my landlord has been questioning us whenever it goes over the limit. So I'm generally online for the better part of everyday (playing multiplayer about 30% of the time as well as being in party chat about 80% of the time). I don't know if I'm to blame for a significant chunk of data usage or if I can honestly just blame my roommates.
---
Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried nailing Jell-O to a tree.
#2zerodefectPosted 8/24/2012 11:25:21 AM
As long as your not downloading games or watching tons of Netflix, I would say your not to blame. Just gaming doesn't use much bandwidth. On Xbox Live's website states it uses about 10-15mb per hour generally, but I use 25-35mb per hour by checking my access logs. Depends on the game really, but honestly, I doubt you would run over any caps just by playing Xbox.
#3darkshadowmasterPosted 8/24/2012 11:28:53 AM
Regular gaming wouldn't do anything really noticable.

Now downloading games/patches could get you though.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#4captpluto99Posted 8/24/2012 11:32:07 AM
Demos and XBLA games of course would take up a lot, but you can just say your friends are downloading pirated movies. ;-)
#5ADG_Snake99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2012 11:38:05 AM
Alright, thanks for the reassurance. I don't generally download anything and Im not subscribed the Netflix. My landlord was trying to convince me that, "playing Minecraft on the Xbox takes up a lot of juice." Haha I don't think he knows what he's talkin about.
---
Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried nailing Jell-O to a tree.
#6crynryanPosted 8/24/2012 11:42:17 AM
Xbox games are made to work under 8 KB/s. At max, it would take about two minutes to send a megabyte (this includes voice chat). Keep in mind that no game will ever really use anymore than 4 KB/s. For example:

Gears 3 uses ~400 bytes/s if you're not host, and ~600 bytes/s per person if you are host.
COD:MW3 uses ~200 bytes/s if you're not host, and ~400 bytes/s per person if you are host.
---
Got any ideas to make a game with? Hit me up with them if you do.
#7Superlinkbros89Posted 8/24/2012 12:25:46 PM
Slap your landlord in the face for having a cap data plan in the first place, I could never live with one of those.
---
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros 2, Bowsers Inside Story, Minecraft
#8yankee6903Posted 8/24/2012 12:27:17 PM
Dude get your pale self out sometimes.
---
PSN: Houseof1kCorpzes GT:Housof1kCorpses
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative