This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help sharing media with Windows Media Player 11

#11CapwnDPosted 7/5/2011 11:14:06 PM

Unless I overlooked something, I don't like how it shares your entire library with everyone on the network, instead of allowing you to customize what types of content different devices can access, like Media Player does.

There are pics and videos on my computer that I want to be able to share with my 360, but don't want the other users on the network having access to, or even knowing that those files exist on my computer.

OK that is true. It does share with everybody on your network. I was thinking more about outside the network. But it only shares what you specify.

Also it is one heck of a resource hog even when it is idle which I don't like

Unless you're trancoding a video (and it does continue to transcode until it's done, even if you stop watching it) it seems to take about as much resources as the windows media streaming server.
---
As Above, So Below
#12LegendKiller711(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 8:03:57 AM
boolzero posted...
LegendKiller711 posted...
boolzero posted...
Try removing the folders and reading them in Media player. Also make sure that you allow media sharing in your actual network settings (been a while since I used Vista). Windows 7 makes it so much less of a hassle, though it is not really a hassle in Vista but sometimes even if you have folders shared it won't share over the network to the 360 unless you actually go to the settings and ensure it is okay on that end. also make sure that when you add new files to your library that you open media player as a good rule of thumb. Most times it will add those new files to the library list, but on rare occasion it won't and opening WMP letting it add files to library real quick and then closing it will fix it.

I'm not sure what you mean by removing the folders and reading them in Media player. I've tried everything else you mentioned. I didn't start having this problem until I recently did a system restore on my PC. What's weird is when I add a folder with different types of media, it says that it found like 5,000 items but when you look at items added, it says 0. I don't get it. Never had this problem before.

when you go into Media Player in the section where you can add folders to library (Video, Music, etc) unclick the folders you have or remove them from your library. Then close out Media Player reopen it and then re-add those folders again. Sometimes on occasion the library TOC file will get corrupted and the best way to fix it is to just remove those folders from your library and then add them back in so that the library can rebuild itself.

Still not working. I even went in and deleted the library, which was suggested by Microsoft. Any other thoughts. It's finds all the files, it just doesn't add them to the shared media.
#13CapwnDPosted 7/8/2011 8:26:29 AM
What do you mean add them to the shared media? You specify the folder to share and you put your music in that folder.
---
I live in a constant state of Deja Vu. Didn't I mention this once before?
#14CapwnDPosted 7/8/2011 8:46:09 AM
If I had added music to my folder and it wasn't showing up on the 360, to fix that I would simply play it in Media Player so that it was forced to find it and add it to the library. Then It would show up on the 360.
---
I live in a constant state of Deja Vu. Didn't I mention this once before?
#15LegendKiller711(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 11:16:10 AM
CaPwnD posted...
If I had added music to my folder and it wasn't showing up on the 360, to fix that I would simply play it in Media Player so that it was forced to find it and add it to the library. Then It would show up on the 360.

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear on my explanation. Let's say I have a folder on my hard drive with music, movies and pictures. When I go into Windows Media Player, choose Add to Library, and then choose the folder with all the different media, a dialog box pops up saying that is is currenlty scanning for files to share. On the same dialog box where it says scanning for media, it shows files found and then files added. Under Files found, it will show like 7,000 different files. Under Files added, it says 0. It's finding the media, just not adding it to the library to share. I've also tried playing the file in Media Player hoping that it would force it into the library and still nothing. It will not add it. Very confused at this point.
#16Super CreaturesPosted 7/8/2011 1:00:41 PM
Sounds like you have it set to ignore files previously removed from the library, or you have it set to ignore files below a certain file size and have the file size set way too high.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#17LegendKiller711(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 3:24:21 PM
Super Creatures posted...
Sounds like you have it set to ignore files previously removed from the library, or you have it set to ignore files below a certain file size and have the file size set way too high.

I double checked the settings you mentioned. "Select the folders to monitor" I have My personal folders selected. The option of "Add files previously deleted from Library" is checked. The "Skip files smaller than" option I have Audio Files at 100KB and Video Files at 500KB. Anything else I need to double check?