This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have een gaming since SNES but love this gen(xbox 360) the most

#31DrunkenJinPosted 7/7/2011 3:54:07 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
**agrees with topic**

In my opinion the 360 is the culmination and reality of gaming in full bloom .. much like the first cars of Henry Ford versus where we are now..

Agreed, but i'd say PSX and its gen was 62-72
---
XLB: CodyBlues. FC 8054-4057-7024-3905 Animal crossing FC 0603-5159-4579
First person to get it- Azrahai
#32zelgamerguyPosted 7/7/2011 3:55:33 PM
I agree with the TC
---
10 OCTOBER 2008 http://www.facebook.com/ZELGAMER
GT: z3lgam3r
#33EightySix22Posted 7/7/2011 4:09:30 PM
universaldave posted...
I've played video games since the wood-paneled pong game that was released in homes; ie., pretty much right from the start. Still I don't have the same nostalgia goggles that a lot of people have. Sure I remember the fun and the good times but that doesn't color my opinion on the games themselves and how they match up to todays' games.

Gameplay? It pretty much consisted of memorization of levels and movement patterns of enemies. You play to a point where you fail and then die. You then replay that section until you get further and then die again. Eventually your memory + reflexes wins out and you finish said level. Then you start the next level. Repeat until you finish the game or go insane. And let's not forget that you had better finish the game in one sitting if you can or you'll start over at the start (until codes and then saves finally arrived).

That was fine for it's time but, I'm sorry, that doesn't cut it for me anymore... and I don't agree with some who think that (sometimes) ridiculous difficulty + endless replaying of the same sections in order to progress = a long and entertaining experience. It's a 15 minute game that, if you aren't great at it, takes you a hell of a lot longer than that to finish. Personally I get more value from playing a current gen game that, while it doesn't make you die and replay half the game, still gives you 8+ hours of gameplay. At least that 8 hours is usually a new experience and not padded by replaying the same sections over and over.

None of that means I don't have fond memories of playing those games back in the day... I still remember playing games like Turrican, Steel Empire, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors into the late hours of the night... it's just that, overall, todays game mechanics are more player-friendly and I think that's a good thing for the most part (unless you're a masochist)!

Good point.
Heck, even Modern Warfare takes more skills than Yoshi's Island but is often blamed for being "too casual friendly". Bottom line is: if you want to criticise the old consoles, you better be ready for some backlash. It's a part of someone's childhood you're attacking.

I love your sig, btw.
#34DarkStar643Posted 7/7/2011 4:11:32 PM
Best Video game generation after the SNES/Genesis era. Easily.
---
There is no such thing as Leftover Crack
#35jgatlabayanPosted 7/7/2011 6:22:41 PM
waaah i still remember playing Battle Toads and Double Dragon! hahahhaa good times! =)
I appreciated all console generations!
But what I always say when I buy a new console or a new graphic whore PC game comes out, would it finally look like real life? haha so far, its getting close!
---
Q6600@3.4 / 295 GTX / AsusP5WDH/8GB Corsair DDR2-800,26" VS LCD,55" 1080p 240hz Samsung LED /PS3/360/Wii/Xbox/PS2/GC/DC/PS1/Saturn/N64
#36squarex8264Posted 7/7/2011 6:52:37 PM
BruceLee007 posted...
I have to ask if those who think this is the best generation are Cod and/ore Halo fans? If you hate both like me, you won't be much of a fan of this generation since most games are in the vein of Cod and Halo.

While I do enjoy casually playing Halo with friends now and then, I am not a huge Halo or Call of Duty fan. However, I still have tons of games from various genres, and tons more XBLA titles that satisfy my gaming needs.

Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, tons of JRPGs, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Deadly Premonition, Bioshock, Alan Wake, LA Noire, Portal, Majin, Force Unleashed...there are tons of great quality games that originated THIS generation. Like others have stated in this topic, I have more games for the Xbox 360 than I ever had for any previous generation, and I too have been gaming since the early NES days.

Back then, games were great, but they always seemed scarce. Now, there are quality games coming out at such a fast pace, it seems almost impossible to keep up (that and the job gets in the way :P)
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
***Xbox XDK/Natal Platform*** (PIX / Xbox Studio Tester)
#37BruceLee007Posted 7/7/2011 7:05:36 PM
squarex2003 posted...
BruceLee007 posted...
I have to ask if those who think this is the best generation are Cod and/ore Halo fans? If you hate both like me, you won't be much of a fan of this generation since most games are in the vein of Cod and Halo.

While I do enjoy casually playing Halo with friends now and then, I am not a huge Halo or Call of Duty fan. However, I still have tons of games from various genres, and tons more XBLA titles that satisfy my gaming needs.

Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, tons of JRPGs, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Deadly Premonition, Bioshock, Alan Wake, LA Noire, Portal, Majin, Force Unleashed...there are tons of great quality games that originated THIS generation. Like others have stated in this topic, I have more games for the Xbox 360 than I ever had for any previous generation, and I too have been gaming since the early NES days.

Back then, games were great, but they always seemed scarce. Now, there are quality games coming out at such a fast pace, it seems almost impossible to keep up (that and the job gets in the way :P)

This gen has been horrible for JRPGs. Also, Force Unleashed 1 was terrible and I heard the second one was ever worse. Bioschock, Alan Wake, and Assassin's Creed bored me. LA Noire looks like a really boring interactive movie. Most of these aren't gameplay focused games that you mentioned. I do want to try out Deadly Premonition though.
---
Gamer Tag-SiriusBlack1985
PSN-BruceLee007
#38squarex8264Posted 7/7/2011 8:30:01 PM
BruceLee007 posted...

This gen has been horrible for JRPGs. Also, Force Unleashed 1 was terrible and I heard the second one was ever worse. Bioschock, Alan Wake, and Assassin's Creed bored me. LA Noire looks like a really boring interactive movie. Most of these aren't gameplay focused games that you mentioned. I do want to try out Deadly Premonition though.

Eh, you can go ahead and pick out the games on my list, but I still enjoy them just the same.

-JRPGs I have played have been great fun (Vesperia, FFXIII, Blue Dragon)
-Force Unleashed was amazing, and a great challenge on Sith Master. Had a lot of fun with this one. I do agree I was disappointed with the sequel, especially after hearing what happened to the dev team and seeing the fallout on the game as a result.
-Assassin's Creed is my favorite series this gen-- the fluid exploration and set pieces with the vast cities were absolutely amazing
-Alan Wake and LA Noire were quite amazing in their storytelling and themes they explored, especially LA Noire. I consider it the most "mature" game I've played this generation.

But, it doesn't matter if you enjoyed those games or not. What I'm trying to say is that there is a HUGE amount of variety of tons of genres across the systems. There's tons of games if you're open to try them.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
***Xbox XDK/Natal Platform*** (PIX / Xbox Studio Tester)
#39AJ2412Posted 7/7/2011 8:59:44 PM
I disagree greatly with the TC. The SNES is my all time favorite console, and I don't even get that much nostalgia from it, so there is none of that nostalgia goggles bulls***. The 360 may be a superior console, but the SNES has a much better library of games.
The SNES has my favorite game of all time (Megaman X). MMX is the only game that I can really consider to be "perfect". It's the closest thing to being perfect.
Sure the 360 has graphics, but so what? Almost all of my favorite games are on the SNES or the PS2. Only one of my favorite game (Mass Effect) is on the 360.
But anyways, technology wise, 360 DESTROYS the SNES. But games? The 360's doesn't stand a chance against SNES library.
---
"The people who hate on Vuvuzela's are the ones who cant play them."
-EvilmetalUK