This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there some way to tell if someone is appearing offline?

#11RycerXPosted 7/6/2011 6:20:23 PM(edited)
Why must you find out for sure, so that you can confront and harass them further? =_=

dasboos posted...
i wish you could make it auto sign in as appear offline.

There's still the next best thing, which is setting your online status to appear offline before you even sign in. Just have to remember to do it every time, which can be kind of a pain if you want to appear offline often, but it works.
#12TheWhiteMonsterPosted 7/6/2011 6:58:31 PM
Why don't you just let the person play offline? I like playing with my friends, I do, but some times I just want to play GTA or L.A. Noire without being spammed with invites. If you think somebody is trying to avoid you why don't you just appear offline until they sign on, then you can invite them to a party? Or hell, just send them a message.
---
The hardest thing to do...is being next to someone...you know you can't have.
#13kungfuj0Posted 7/6/2011 7:36:45 PM
knightimex posted...
Some people don't want to be bothered while playing a game.

Show some respect.

Pretty much this and what TheWhiteMonster said.

There's been a boatload of times when I just wanted to get my ME or my DA on, and I didn't want people bugging me about playing this or that or the other. Sometimes people are in the mood to do stuff online, and sometimes they are not. The best thing to do is just respect them and move on.

Think about it this way. If they wanted you or anyone to know that they were online, why would they bother to appear offline? They do that because they don't want to be bothered right then, so leave them alone and go play something else.
---
Kungfuj0
#14CapwnDPosted 7/6/2011 8:53:03 PM

Is it impossible for somebody to watch some netflix without someone bothering you?
The last thing I want is a party of people bothering me with their stupid call of duty narrations.

Ummm... get friends that don't suck?
---
As Above, So Below
#15bluetigercamo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 10:36:29 PM
"the only way someone can be online without you seeing them is for them to literally block their online status from everyone, in which case it will just say "offline"

How do you do this? I don't see that option in the settings.
#16Mr_PapagiorgioPosted 7/7/2011 12:38:22 AM
If you switch your preferences to appear offline before you sign into XBL, your thing will show you as being offline and then show the hours or date that you were last on, as if you never really signed in at all. However, If you sign into XBL first and then switch your preferences to appear offline, it will simply read as "offline" without a date or time.

In other words, if your friend's thing simply says "offline" and doesn't give the hours or date, than he's either actually online and doesn't want anyone to know it or he's blocked his online status completely.

Sometimes after an XBL update anyone who hasn't signed in since the update will appear "offline" without a date but that doesn't happen very often.

If you really want to know you could look and see if he's gotten any new achievements or switched games.
---
Turn your key, sir!