This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really bizarre hardware/internet issue.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Really bizarre hardware/internet issue.

User Info: GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK
5 years ago#1
My current system is a Pro system that I bought (brand new at the time), to replace my RROD elite system. Never had any problems until last night.

My system is hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio Plasma television (HDMI port 2). Well, I tried turning on the 360 and all I hear is static and I can't see a thing. I thought maybe the cable was bad so I tried the HDMI port 3 and port 1 with different cables which I have hooked up to a PS3 and a VCR/HD combo machine. Neither worked for the 360, but the did for the other machines . By trying other cables that were known to work I came to the conclusion that my HDMI port on my 360 has gone bad.

So I decided to grab my composite cable. I hook it up and it works just fine. However, I notice I cannot connect to Live. I first make sure the Ethernet cables are properly hooked. Check. I then check the power cords to the router and modem. Check. I check to see if I have an working internet connection to my PC and PS3. Check. I follow troubleshooting and turn the router and modem off for 30 seconds then bring them back up. Check. I try connecting and I still get nothing. I turn off the modem, router, and 360 again. I try to connect again and I get nothing. I restore factory default settings for network connections in the 360. Nothing. I then do some more Googling and read info about checking DHCP in my router settings. Everything looks good. I then notice that the IP in the 360 settings is showing a 169.254.xxx address.

I do more reading on that and find out that that means there is something up with the network.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address.html

I'm thinking it is an issue with the ethernet port itself. After I read this I hooked the 360 directly to the modem and I still cannot get a connection. I also tried multiple ethernet cables to rule out an issue with the original cable.

I'm probably just going to buy a slim 360 (250GB) model and a transfer cable, but I was just wondering if anyone ever heard of the HDMI and Ethernet port going out at the same time like that? The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is a lighting storm yesterday. I usually look at forecasts in the morning and if there is even the slightest chance of thunder I unplug my systems and TV. Yes, I have them on a surge protector, but I don't believe in 100% protection from anything. Of course I was in a rush to work and forgot to do so yesterday.
Honestly...if he's going to commit suicide...what better way for him to go than actually trying to slap a tornado? - X_F_L_A_W_X
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Really bizarre hardware/internet issue.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived