This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

xbox 360 hard drives off of ebay....

#11arrseeteePosted 7/8/2011 1:55:26 AM
of course an hdd is an hdd. but the hdds that r knockoffs or are formated youself still has drawbacks such as no backwards compatable xbo games or no xbl on halo multi. buyer beware.
#12DuwstaiPosted 7/8/2011 3:05:09 AM
I bought a supposedly official MS 250gb hard drive off ebay for 35 bucks brand new.

Ive had it for over a year and have had no problems. It plays original xbox games and everything, and it has all the correct MS stuff on it.

Either its a really good fake or I just got a lucky deal. Either way Im extremely happy with it.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA, H2K CoBrA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#13kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 11:48:46 AM
bumping one time for more takes.
---
Kungfuj0
#14FinalFantasyForeverPosted 7/8/2011 1:48:23 PM
just tested xbox games on the 360 hdd. They work just fine. People these days...
---
Check out my Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/storino03
#15Super CreaturesPosted 7/8/2011 2:14:24 PM
Most third-party HDDs lack the hidden partition required for the BC software to be able to play Xbox Originals.

Note that I said MOST, that does not mean all third-party HDDs lack the partition.

Also, to those suggesting just using flash drives as MUs, there is one important piece of information you should give when giving such suggestions, there are certain features that require a storage device recognized as an HDD be attached to the 360 in order to use.

As has already been mentioned, you can't play Xbox Originals without an HDD, but, you also cannot play certain online modes (iirc, co-op campaign and firefight, possibly others) in Halo games (possibly other games as well), and you cannot install the content included with GotY Editions of games on the content disc (such as Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition, Oblivion GotY, Fallout 3 GotY, and Borderlands GotY [content disc version]).
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#16BrownPackPosted 7/8/2011 2:20:32 PM
Check craigslist. I got my 120GB HDD from there for 30. Some guy had a RROD elite that came with the harddrive, and he wouldn't sell the harddrive by itself, so i bought the console with the harddrive for 30, and now I'm trying to sell the console.
---
Five, one two three four FiF
#17kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 2:22:17 PM
Is there any way to tell which ones have this hidden partition from the ones that don't?

Also, if I got a new drive (or even a used one), I want to transfer my stuff on my current drive to it. Would that not put everything needed on the new drive? Or would it just be my saves and my gamertag and whatnot? Also, I have some music on my drive, so when I do the transfer cable thing, will that transfer too, or will I have to re-put it on there?
---
Kungfuj0
#18kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 4:32:03 PM
One more question for you guys. I'm going to need a transfer cable to get the stuff off my old drive and onto my new drive. I am seeing a bunch of cables on ebay where they say you can hook the 360 hard drive to a pc and play around with the files and whatnot. That's all good and everything, but I mostly just want to be able to get the stuff off of my old drive and onto my new drive as quickly as possible.

My question is will these cables let me do this or do I need to get the official MS one from somewhere. If I can look at my saves and whatnot on my pc, great, but that is not something I just need. if these cables can just do the straight up transfer job, that's all I need.
---
Kungfuj0
#19chocoboblue99Posted 7/8/2011 5:40:01 PM
kungfuj0 posted...
One more question for you guys. I'm going to need a transfer cable to get the stuff off my old drive and onto my new drive. I am seeing a bunch of cables on ebay where they say you can hook the 360 hard drive to a pc and play around with the files and whatnot. That's all good and everything, but I mostly just want to be able to get the stuff off of my old drive and onto my new drive as quickly as possible.

My question is will these cables let me do this or do I need to get the official MS one from somewhere. If I can look at my saves and whatnot on my pc, great, but that is not something I just need. if these cables can just do the straight up transfer job, that's all I need.

It probably won't be quick, but I bet it won't be that much of a different from using a cable. Also, you save some money too. I would just use a USB flash and start moving stuff onto the flash key from your old HDD. Then, I would turn off the system and put in the new HDD and move the stuff from the flash key onto the new HDD. Then, I'll keep on moving around like that until I'm done.
#20BrownPackPosted 7/8/2011 7:55:45 PM
chocoboblue99 posted...

It probably won't be quick, but I bet it won't be that much of a different from using a cable. Also, you save some money too. I would just use a USB flash and start moving stuff onto the flash key from your old HDD. Then, I would turn off the system and put in the new HDD and move the stuff from the flash key onto the new HDD. Then, I'll keep on moving around like that until I'm done.

This. It takes a while, but gets things done. Only transfer things that you need to, like save data, and just redownload things like map packs if you don't want to switch flash drives/HDD's much.
---
Five, one two three four FiF