This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would it bother you if the quality of the game affecting the length?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Would it bother you if the quality of the game affecting the length?
4 years ago#1
Lets say a developer actually puts serious effort into a game.
Amazing visuals, gameplay, voice overs, story, the works!

But as a trade off the developer had to make the game short.
Most 360 rpg games are like 80+ hours long.

This company made the rpg I dunno 30-50 hours long.
But it's top tier.

Would you still be ok with that?
---
No 8th Generation on GameFaqs.
Only this: http://imageshack.us/f/864/gamefaqslolzqb.jpg/
(edited 0 seconds ago)
4 years ago#2
i dont know what rpgs you have played but i dont know that many that would last over 80 hours on the 360.
---
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
4 years ago#3
I think 30-50 hours is still too long for quite a few games. What could I possibly do for that long that doesn't become repetitive or boring long before I finish the game?

How could you keep a single continuous plot going without dragging it on? Do you make the game episodic, so that you play multiple plotlines through that contribute to a larger whole? If so, how do you prevent them from being contrived and/or pointless after going through so many of them throughout the game?

I loved Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, but I will say it - that game was way too long, and it lost points with me because of it. Same with Lost Odyssey - I can't finish the game because of how long it takes to get anything done.

Maybe I'm unique in this, but I can't take both a slow-paced gameplay style and a slow-paced plot for an enjoyable experience. I don't mind intricate details and such, but if I can't play the game for longer than an hour without getting incredibly bored, I don't want to play anymore.
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
4 years ago#4

This company made the rpg I dunno 30-50 hours long.

That's freaking long to me. I could count on both hands the games I've put more than 20 hours into.

I might have to use some toes...
---
4 years ago#5
30-50 for a role playing game is fine.

action games need not go over 20 hours.
I'm fine with action\fps games only lasting 4 hours.
---
No 8th Generation on GameFaqs.
Only this: http://imageshack.us/f/864/gamefaqslolzqb.jpg/
4 years ago#6
Of all the 'repeated' topics on this site, game length and graphics discussions have to top the list as the worst ones.
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
4 years ago#7
knightimex posted...
30-50 for a role playing game is fine.

action games need not go over 20 hours.
I'm fine with action\fps games only lasting 4 hours.

Wow, see... I'm exactly the opposite. I put the games with the least interesting gameplay at the bottom, not the top. Let's face it, RPGs don't typically have very good gameplay.
---
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
4 years ago#8
JRPG's certainly don't have very interesting gameplay. WRPG's these days are usually half action anyway.
---
4 years ago#9
Arucard05 posted...
JRPG's certainly don't have very interesting gameplay. WRPG's these days are usually half action anyway.

That's probably why I can finish them, whereas jRPGs always end up in the "did I beat that, or did I just stop playing it after awhile?" pile of games, which also has games like Viking: Battle for Asgard and Way of the Samurai 3.
---
4 years ago#10
I know that pile.

*stares at Far Cry 2*
---
You should buy Beyond Good and Evil HD. Seriously, please?
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Would it bother you if the quality of the game affecting the length?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived